Check Out Food Bargains At Dollar Stores

With things being so tough financially, I've found it helpful to shop regularly at Dollar Stores. Often times they have full size products. I've on several occasions bought full sized name brand ranch dressing, grated cheese, sour cream, canned veggies, chili and more.

Also, if I have only few dollars until payday and need something, they're smaller sized products that will keep me until payday. There are a lot of items they have that are great to add to children's lunches. And for those who diet, I have many time purchased, South Beach meals as well as sugar free foods. It's crowded a lot of times but the money you save is worth the time and effort.

By Joely from Ceres, CA

Answers:

I agree! I love their Orange Ginger Tilapia, the Teriyaki Salmon, and the green olives are more than a bargain. You can get snacks, milk, eggs, frozen foods, canned goods, coffee, creamers, teas, candy, chips, and soooooo much more. And, they take food stamps, too! Give them a try! (02/12/2009)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Check Out Food Bargains At Dollar Stores

Just be very CAREFUL that these food items are NOT made in China! While the Dollar Stores may prove to be much cheaper, read the label first! I saw what I believed was a regular, made in the USA brand of toothpaste for a dollar. Upon reading the info it turned out to be a copy cat of AIM. Even the bath stuff, makeup, etc. is a knock off made in China. Do you want to eat, or use these products which may not be safe? Even in the USA, we have problems! Check out the peanut butter situation! Greeting cards, paper goods, puzzle books are a bargain. You need to think before you buy. Times are tough, but don't poison or make your family, or pets sick, just to save a buck. It's not worth it! (02/12/2009)

By Amanda

Hi Joely, I do similar to what you do. Only I take it a couple of steps further. I start at the Dollar Store, then I go to Dollar General and get what they didn't have, from there I go to Food Lion (a major south east grocery store), and finally I finish up at Wal-Mart. By doing this, there's very little that I have to get at Wal-Mart.

Dollar General has one thing that I always get there and keep stocked up on. That's septic tank cleaner. I pay less than $3 for a bigger box than WalMart has for $6. I've used it for 15 years and it works great. (04/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

Dollar stores don't often have a savings. You have to look at the unit cost (cost per ounce or similar) of an item to know if it's a bargain or not. Dollar stores escape posting that info on a technicality so you have to figure it out for yourself or you get taken.

The foods there also are anything but healthy. Healthy foods are living fruits and veggies; not processed items assembled in China. You can get single packaged items for lunchbags but if it's processed junk; that's what you're eating.

On seafoods you also have to look for a posting on the package for "wild caught" and the location. Cheesy poofs are healthier than farmed fish.

The last thing to look at are product dates. Many dollar store items have had those removed or they're very short dated.

Driving from store to store wastes a ton of $$$ in gas and time. I have a basket for the front and back of my bike and can easily pack out 50+lbs of food.

There are a very few bargains to be found there but for the most part; they're cheap junk that isn't even worth a dollar. There's no quick way around good basic budgeting. (04/22/2009)

By dh8

I not only check expiration dates but where the product is from, just like I do at the regular food stores as well as stores like Wal-mart and Target and others. It is just a matter of being a careful and watchful shopper. A couple of the Dollar Trees by me have a refrigerated section and I have found Green Giant steamer vegetables there. Again, it just takes a few extra seconds to read labels on anything.

(04/22/2009)

By LI Roe

Buy Groceries At Dollar Stores
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
🎄
🍂