Check Statements for Benefits and Discounts

Most of us have a bad habit of not reading the inserts that are in the envelopes with bank statements and bills. This past month, I did read them, and managed to save several dollars.

First, I discovered that if I have one check direct deposited each month into my bank account, I get free checking. That will save me $7.95 a month. So, I am arranging to have my retirement check direct deposited starting next month.

Next, I read, that if we want, we can get a free $10,000 life insurance policy on each person on our checking account. If we want more coverage than that, we can buy it. So, I signed up for the free life insurance on both my husband and I.

If we sign up for paperless billing on our cell bill, we get a $5 a month discount and a free $50 gift card. I can easily check our bill on line and print it off if needed for less than $5 a month that we will save there. Our satellite bill is also reduced by $5 a month for paperless billing and automatic withdrawal from our checking account. And, if we pay our rural water bill online, we get a $1 a month discount. Just those alone add up to almost $20 a month savings, in addition to the free life insurance.

Our bank and electric company also offer reduced tickets to local attractions as well. The electric company also sells light bulbs, water heaters and AC and furnaces at a great discount as well.

I think your suggestions are good as every little bit saved can add up at the end of the year.

I just want to add that free insurance with banks is good but it is not usually "life" insurance as such. Free insurance is usually accident insurance so please be sure you read everything and do not have the mistaken idea that anyone will receive payment for a "normal" death.