Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

We have one each lemon, pink lemon, lime, tangelo, and grapefruit tree in our yard. We planted them from 1-3 yrs ago. So far we have gotten 2 lemons and a lime. The trees are growing, just not producing fruit. Do I need to have 2 of the same tree to get fruit?

Darlene from southwest FL

Answers:

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I have heard that you need a female and a male tree to produce the fruit of the citrus tree. When we lived in AZ we had a lemon tree, just one, but our neighbors also had a few and they must have been close enough for bees or the wind to pollinate our tree. I could be totally wrong here. But check with a local nursery and ask them what might be wrong. (09/23/2008)

By Jen

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I had an orange tree when I was a kid that grew from seeds that I actually had just stuck in one of my mom's flowerpots. It was a beautiful tree, and a great conversation starter, but never produced flowers, let alone fruit. Mom consulted a greenhouse and they told us that citrus plants must have a male and a female tree in order to produce fruit. (09/23/2008)

By bailegirl

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I have one lemon tree and it produces just fine, but your tree might need more time. It takes years for a new tree to start producing, probably 3 to 5. (01/30/2010)

By Stngray

Lemon and blossoms on tree
Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Lemon and blossoms on tree
Lemon Tree Not Blooming or Producing Fruit
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
🎄