Clean Drains with Baking Soda and Vinegar

Baking soda is touted as an amazingly frugal cleaning product and it is. But be careful when you rinse it down the drain or the toilet. Baking soda, especially when mixed with hot water, solidifies. I once had a plumber come in after my husband and I could not unstop a kitchen sink which backed up and would not clear. (We lived in New York at the time.) The plumber broke one snake and had to get another and it took 2 hours to cut through the rock that the baking soda had become in the pipe. I had been using just a little baking soda once a week or so to clean the sink and counters for only three months when this happened!

Allison from Arizona

Clean Drains With Baking Soda And Vinegar

I agree with the baking soda and vinegar, however, I would not recommend pouring boiling water down the drain if you have plastic pipes. (08/30/2007)

By Syd

I pour boiling water down my plastic drain all the time and have never had a problem. I think the drains and pipes are made of something very tough as not only am I using boiling water, I am also using Drain-O! I will try this recipe, though. I like using natural products. especially vinegar and baking soda. (08/31/2007)

By Lisingreece

Going to try this. BTW, boiling water down the drain won't hurt this kind of plastic pipe. It is very thick and sturdy. (09/01/2007)

By fionarx

Box of Baking Soda on White Background
Household Uses For Baking Soda
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet