Cleaning Bathtub Rings

Category Bathroom
Woman Cleaning Bathtub
A well used tub will often develop rings over time. If they are allowed to build up it can be quite a chore to get rid of these unsightly rings. This is a guide about cleaning bathtub rings.

To keep bathtubs sparkling clean, use an all natural paste made from baking soda and liquid Castile soap. The baking soda is a mild abrasive, Castile soap dissolves soap scum and it's safe for all surfaces. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid Castile soap in lavender to give the bathroom a wonderful scent and since it's also recommended for bathing you don't need to worry if it all doesn't rinse away. For really tough hard water stains on porcelain, a light scrubbing with a pumice stone while running the water works like a charm.

Source: I own a cleaning business and all our products are green and natural, so we've done a lot of research and experimentation to see what works and what doesn't.

By Patricia from Gulfport, MS

I have found that using an inexpensive shampoo when cleaning rings from the bathtub, that the rings and soap scum will come right off.

Source: I learned this from ThriftyFun.

By Jane from Smackover, AR

To avoid having to deal with a bathtub ring, use baby wash in the water. I use Johnson's and Johnson's, I don't know if others work. I have never had to deal with a bathtub ring.

As long as a product doesn't contain real soap, it won't leave a ring. Baby bath is but one of many soapless detergents which could be used.

I like the baby products because manufacturers are more careful about the ingredients. If you have sensitive skin you are less likely to get contact dermatitis from a baby product, and yet they are less expensive than most hypoallergenic products. I use the baby wash instead of bar soap too and it does eliminate the soap scum!

By Anna

We have a very large fiberglass shower unit that had the ugliest dark stain of unknown origin (probably not been cleaned in long time) on the bottom part. I had tried everything I could mix or muster up to use.

Then one day I read on here about the Krud Kutter for wallpaper removal (BTW great for that zipped 4 layers in no time). I used the Krud Kutter full strength and a plastic scrubbie. Every bit of it came out, without much "elbow grease".

Krud Kutter is well worth the price for a gallon. It cleans everything and is biodegradable with no obnoxious fumes either!

Source: ThriftyFun of course!

By Barby B. from Tennessee

I bought a brand new long handled toilet bowl brush and any old detergent. My arthritis hurts too bad to get on my knees and bend over for long periods. I wipe when I get out the tub. It's done in a minute or two.

By kimsukie from Florissant, MO

I use bath gel to clean bathtub rings. I get a cheap one or use one I have but don't like. This works much better than gritty cleansers, etc.

By Monica from northeast PA

I used a liquid Comet cleaner with bleach and a SOS pad. After a good clean, wax it with car wax. No more rings and easy weekly cleaning. I wax every 3 - 4 months.

I have a ring around my porciline tub. I have tried almost every product out there. Does anyone have the answer?

Best Answer

Assuming this ring is a calcium or other mineral deposit I would suggest Bar Keeper's Friend. Scrub with a plastic scrubber. This is the best cleanser I have every used and will clean a variety of surfaces. It is a powder and you can find it where the other cleansers are displayed.

Best Answer

I have an acrylic (brown!) tub, and the soap scum shows up after every single shower practically.

Calgon water Softener (powdered) sprinkled on a cloth wiped it away!! It has been the best thing I've ever used on the tub, and believe me, I've tried them all. I got this tip right here at Thriftyfun.com!!

I have never seen "Bar Keeper's Friend" . Sure would like to find it too, and give it a try.

Best Answer

Have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? I find it works well in my tub.

I am disabled and have a terrible time cleaning the bathtub. We have a big garden tub that has a step you can place your knees on if you clean. However, I have a problem getting the ring around the tub off. Is there something that you squirt on and leave for 5 or 10 minutes and then the sponge wipes the ring away. Or is that wishful thinking? I need help quick. Going to try and get the husband who is vacationing this week to clean it for me. So, I need help asap.

Using bath salts (vaseline, calgon) may be less slippery for you as you are disabled. They too, prevent bathtub rings. Also, take a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent) to the tub with you. As the water drains, wet the sponge and run it around the tub. It will clean it perfectly without any effort.

I use Kaboom Shower Tube and Tile Cleaner. It comes in a bright purple spray bottle with a green top. I just spray it on and wipe with a rag or sponge after about 10 minutes. It works wonders. I buy mine at Walmart. Good Luck.

I have tried many, many, many products for the easiest fastest cleaning of tub rings. The one that I find works the best is Scrubbing Bubbles, hands down. I can spray the ring while I'm getting ready for work. Within 5-10 minutes, I'll take a wet wash cloth and wipe it down. Rinse and it's shiny clean!

Try "The Works". It comes in tub and tile cleaner and toilet cleaner. You can get it in a spray bottle or squeeze bottle. It will clean it in a second. You can look at your local "Everything's a Dollar" type store. That's where I get mine. The Dollar General carries it too and sometimes Walmart has it.

I always use a toilet brush that I keep just for this purpose to clean the tub. Less bending is a good thing!

I bought a product in the cleaning aisle in Wal-mart called 'Scrub-free'. Works great. Spray on, wait 5 or 10 minutes and easily wipes off. Good luck.

Mr. Clean Magic Reach telescoping wand is a Godsend for me. You don't have to reach, the cleaner is built in and the scrubber pad does all the work. It's fantastic!

I really like Spic-n-Span "BAM". I use a toilet-bowl scrubber as it has a longer handle--it is like the non-scratch scouring pads.

Sometimes hard water contributes to the bathtub ring, and no matter what body soap/cleaner product you use, you'll end up with some sort of ring. You can REALLY minimize it if you rinse the tub after use, while it is still wet.

Lori

I had the same problem and have had 3 major back surgeries,couldn't bend over to scrub that big ole tub,so I got my plastic broom out and ran a little water in the tub used a small amt of baby shampoo[bought just for that purpose] and it cleaned like crazy.no more scrubbing and I had a clean tub.usually I wash the ring down before getting out of the tub,saves me scrubbing later on.

Another thing you could try which is easily obtained at any hardware store is called "naval jelly." It is also good at removing rust from porcelain, steel, or cast iron/enamel plumbing fixtures (older tubs, sinks, tiolets).

Lori, why not let the hubby clean the bathtub for you all the time. If you are disabled and it's so hard for you, just see if he'll start doing it. Otherwise, I'd suggest buying and using a Mr Clean Magic Reach or whatever it's called.

Also, there are products for washing yourself that do not contain soap....seems like the body washes do not and so you might not get the ring around the tub with a different type of body washing product. Just a thought! I only use Johnson's Head to Toe on our children....it's a liquid body and hair wash and their tub never has any ring....in fact, it always looks clean and shiney!

i use a spray bottle with a solution of dawn dishwashing liquid and ammonia (50/50). my husband works in grease all day and his tub wring is a killer! this spray also works on laundry stains!

I use Tilex Soap Scum Remover Spray. I find it works better than other products I've tried. Another hint is to use your toilet scrubber brush. It has a handel that will help you to reach with less strain on your body. I hope this helps.

Judy (bjptl)

The best tub cleaner I have found is Super Clean,this can be found in automotive department at Walmart or other department stores.

i thought that i had found this tip from this site but just to pass this along.... I just moved into a newly built apartment and we noticed the tub getting a green ring around it. it was very tough to clean and we tried a few products. someone sugguested a used dryer sheet and i gave it a try. It's wonderful!!! all the green marks instantly wiped away! All i did was wet the sheet and started wiping. like Magic!

I clean homes for a living and I've found that Oven Cleaner sprays are the most powerful! If you have soap scum since 1949, you might want to try to clean it with that, it's a harsh chemical so you will need goggles and a mask but leave it there for about 20 min and then wipe away with a damp cloth and rinse.. you will see the difference!