Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Category Floors
Mop and bucket on linoleum floor
Linoleum, made from ground wood or cork and usually linseed oil, is susceptible to discoloration. This is a guide about cleaning discolored linoleum.

The floor around my bath (white lino) has gone a dark pink colour. Is there any thing that I can try before I replace it?

It is probably linoleum mold. Try soaking it with Tilex and see if it goes away.

It could be stained from a bathmat. Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

You may have water leak from a pipe or spashing from the tub. Over time this can cause mold and discoloration. Check for possible repairs needed.

I have a cushioned mat in front of my kitchen sink. I've noticed that the linoleum is a darker color. I removed the mat. How can I clean this?

Try the Mr. Clean Magic eraser and elbow grease. Good luck.

Anonymous

Is it from the mat discoloring the floor, or did the rest of the floor fade from sunlight and the mat protected that section. If it is fading, nothing that I know of would help.

I recently noticed a bottle of Windex had spilled onto my linoleum floor. I tried a combination of bleach and then vinegar and baking soda and I cannot get it out. Any suggestions?

This MIGHT work. Test it in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it won't completely change the linoleum. Lay down paper towel, 1 or 2 layers, over the stain. Doesn't have to be too far over into the part that is not stained. Then, carefully pour or spray (until saturated), bleach on the paper towels. The idea of the towels is to keep the bleach from evaporating easily and keep it from spreading everywhere.

Start checking after about 5 minutes to see if it has started working. It might be gone in 5 minutes, or it may take a little longer, but if it is going to work, you will definitely see a difference after 5 minutes. If there's little or no difference, go ahead and pick up your towels, because it's not going anywhere. I have used this method for mold, and for clothing dye wasted in strange places like on top of the washing machine, in an old enameled sink, tile, well you get the idea. But definitely test it first to be sure it won't also change the color of the linoleum.

My linoleum in the bathroom all around the toilet area has turned a reddish or rusty looking colour. I have tried numerous cleaners.

By Lorraine

The wax seal under your toilet may have failed. Google "DIY toilet replacement" or call a plumber. Leaving it alone may cause worse problems down the road.

How do I remove stains on linoleum flooring? They are from the plywood floor beneath the linoleum. It is a pink/red colored ink like stuff that is all around the border of plywood and it just seeped through to the linoleum flooring. I've tried everything!

By Cheryl from Huntsville, AL

After trying spray cleaner, rubbing alcohol, fingernail polish remover, and you see that it isn't working, then I would do the following after rinsing the floor off:

Rub the area with superfine (number 0000) steel wool dipped in liquid floor wax.

Wash the area with soapy water, dry, then wax as usual.

Hope this helps!

The white linoleum in my bathroom has become yellowed and discolored. When I move a potted plant it was still white underneath. I have tried most things, but nothing is working.

By Pam60 from Gloucestershire, UK

Might be wax buildup. Try stripping the wax then start again. Good luck

I had new wood-grain linoleum put on my kitchen floor. I had my dog's water dish on a carpet in the kitchen. When I went to scrub the floor, the floor underneath the water dish is now almost white. Is there anything I can do to revive the color in the floor?

Please help! My husband is going to be really upset.

Thank you,
Betty Jean DeFazio from Orangeburg, SC

Remove the rug and let floor dry thoroughly...Perhaps you could try using wood stain, on the discolored linoleum, using a paint brush, to brush the stain on the linoleum...OR, you could try clothing dye...Mix a "strong" solution, if using powdered dye or use straight out of the bottle, if using liquid dye...Brush either of these on with a paint brush also...Good Luck! Let us know if either of these suggestions work!

New scatter rugs left a nice rust colored impression on my bathroom floor. I have tried bleach (for 24 hours), baking soda mixed with peroxide, mineral oil, and normal household cleaners with no results at all.

Is there anything that can do the job?

By Barb K M

My dog peed on the red "brick"; patterned linoleum floor and when I found it (the next day) and cleaned it, it seemed to take the red color up with it. Is there any product that will hide (or at least blend) the discolored area? Red wax?

By Naomi R

My linoleum is yellow and I want to know how to get it white again?

By Donna from Big Bend, WI

A set of those gel window clings accidentally were put on some bathroom linoleum wall tile (it's one of those full sheets with a smooth, plasticy surface, not porous tiles). Now I have red ink stains in the shapes of the clings.

I've tried Mr. Clean Eraser, rubbing alcohol, Off, nail polish remover, and bleach with no success. The dye seemed to kind of bleed out which makes me think it got into the tile surface. Anyone had this problem before? What did you do to remove the dye?

By Ivy

I have white vinyl linoleum that has become discolored. What can I do to bring back the white?

By Bev from Canada

Answers:

How do I get yellow color off my linoleum floor in my kitchen? It maybe due to use or the way I've been cleaning it. It's about 7 years old? Please help me I've tried everything.

Thank you.

By Barbara from Round Lake, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Are you using floor wax or polish? (12/01/2009)

By Deeli

I am looking for a solution to cleaning my no wax floor which has turned yellow under a rug. Can you please help?

Thanks,

Margie.

Editor's Note: This request was in response to a Linoleum request so I assume she is referring to a No Wax Linoleum floor. Please be sure which type of flooring you have before trying these remedies. Linoleum and vinyl are completely different materials.

Answers:

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Never place rubber on vinyl flooring. A chemical reaction between the rubber and the vinyl will cause flooring discoloration. This is irreversible. (09/02/2004)

By D. Hodge

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? It just might work. It's a chemical free thing you can try.
Susan from ThriftyFun. (02/06/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

This chemical reaction is permanent.
The only solution is to replace the tile or get a bigger floor mat and glue it to the surface. (03/26/2005)

By James

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I used mineral spirits and it removed most of mine. (04/28/2005)

By Debbie

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I first tried the Mr Clean Magic eraser. It didn't do anything. I then tried the Chlorox full strength. It took a couple of applications and it is nearly white. I will do it again tomorrow and I'm sure it will be completely gone. One nice thing is that it did not affect the grey square line nor the green diamond pattern. Thanks for the tip and I know I will be sharing this around. (04/12/2007)

By Kathie

Teak Wood Bath Mats

Be careful of those teak bath mats as well. I bought one, had it on the bathroom floor and it created streaks where the feet touched. Looks like pee stains. To add to the fun, the bath mat is molding and the whole reason I bought this was because people said it would stay cleaner longer. The rumor mill is working overtime it seems. (06/24/2007)

By Annoyed Apartment Resident

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

The problem you are having is not from the rug being on the floor. Builders these days use lower end vinyl floors that tend to yellow when anything is laid on them, including carpets (of all types of backings), cardboard, plant pots, etc. These floors are only designed to be down for 5-7 years expecting the home owner to either want a change or to sell the house. The upper grade linoleum floors rarely have a problem of this nature. (08/22/2007)

By Brian

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

OxiClean with boiling water works very well. Just mix 1/4 cup to a gallon of very hot or boiling water. (08/31/2007)

By Angela

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

If it's linoleum that you have, then the yellowing you're seeing is due to the linseed oil (the major ingredient in linoleum) coming to the surface. The way to cure this is to simply take the rug off and expose the area to light. It could take a few hours or a few days, depending on the amount of light you can get to the affected area. Natural light works the best. Cleaning will not make the yellowing disappear. Hope that's helpful. (09/03/2007)

By ekie333

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

DO NOT BLEACH! Using full strength bleach on vinyl/linoleum floors can actually damage the floor. I used Clorox to clean up spilled chicken juice in my kitchen, and it left a dull patch on the floor. No more shine. I have tried many things to get the yellowing stain off my floor, it is permanent. (12/28/2007)

By

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I have recently heard that ammonia works to clean the yellowing linoleum. I am going to try it myself to see how well it works. (03/25/2008)

By

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I have used Johnson Floor Stripper and then resealed with High Speed Floro Finish. However, I am in the process of redoing the floor (every other year) and cannot find these products. Linoleum is not vinyl and people keep pointing me to products that are for vinyl. Good luck. (08/23/2008)

By Jeanne

I've a 4 year old white linoleum floor in the kitchen. It's starting to show odd yellowing stains in various places. I'm hoping someone knows the trick to remove these. It's cleaned nearly everyday. Can't understand why these yellow marks are appearing.

Sandra B from Montvale, NJ

Answers:

Yellowed Linoleum Tiles

I had a white linoleum tile floor a few years ago. I was told when I bought it that white linoleum always yellows. I cleaned our floor with white vinegar and very hot water. In the 6 years we had the floor it never yellowed. Sorry I don't how to remove existing yellowing. Good luck. (08/14/2007)

By Carla J.

Yellowed Linoleum Tiles

A friend with a flooring store told me that florescent lighting will turn a vinyl floor yellow after several years. But how to fix it? I don't think you can. (08/16/2007)

By Lynn

Yellowed Linoleum Tiles

I have found two things that work good. One is the steam mop. I have used it The best is hard work but it works, at least for me. After I have mopped the floor I use the Tuft and Tidy floor wipes. I wipe by hand on my hands and knees and I was shocked at the yellow and tan colors that came up. It will last for several months before I have to do it again. I am using the steam mop now because it works good and is much easier to use. (01/06/2009)

By Joan P

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.