Cleaning Fleece

Category Fabric
polar fleece jackets
This soft, synthetic fabric is generally used for winter clothing, pajamas and blankets. This guide is about cleaning fleece.

I have a pair of comfy fleece pants that I dearly love but like most fleece fabric they collect pet hair, lint and get ugly balls on them. They looked so bad I was about to throw them away when I came up with a solution. I take a regular bristle hair brush and lay the pants flat then just brush them one way, then the other. This brushing not only removes the lint and hair, it also removes those nasty balls that you get on fleece! I'm not kidding when I say they look like new again!

Make sure the brush is an old fashioned (plastic) bristle brush, and not one of the newer metal or hard plastic styling brushes.

By Cyinda

Does anyone know how to get urine smells out of fleece? My son isn't night-time potty trained yet, and sometimes his diaper leaks. His fleece sleepwear and fleece blanket are both stinky even after having been washed twice. I've tried (one at a time, not all at once!) Oxyclean, baking soda, regular bleach (just a tiny bit since I don't want to ruin the colors of the fleece), and vinegar along with the usual laundry detergent. We're allergic to the perfumes in the anti-static rinses like Bounce, so that's a no go; besides, I want to REMOVE the pee smell, not mask it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lynne

I know that if you wash clothes with real vanilla it will remove smoke odors (like from a house fire) It might be worth a shot. You have to use the real stuff not the imitation extract. I would probably use anywhere from 1/4 to a full cup depending on the size of the wash load.

Also, I believe febreeze makes a "Free" formula. You may try a bit in your wash.

Good luck!

I suggest trying Borax added with your laundry detergent. Good luck! Oh, and is there anyway you dry the items outdoors?

I've posted this before regarding other questions to do with odors, but since I really believe in it, I'll post it again. I'm an Independent Watkins Associate (i.e. vanilla, spices, extract, liniments, salves, household cleaners, etc.), and we carry an absolutely great product called Odor Zap. It does not mask odors, it completely neutralizes odors through oxidation, actually chemically taking the odor-causing chemicals away. Odor Zap may be sprayed onto surfaces (i.e. carpets, upholster), put in mopping solutions, humidifiers, vaporizers, etc., and may be added to laundry loads. Use for smoke, mildew, paint fumes, or waste matter. May be used on sports equipment, shoes - even wet dogs as the product is 100% safe for people, pets, and the environment. Odor Zap is biodegradable, non-toxic, non-allergenic, non-masking, non-staining, and safe for septic tanks as well.

If you would like me to send you a catalog, just e-mail me and request one and I'll be happy to get one off to you.

Trudy Powell

Independent Watkins Associate

trudypowell@sbcglobal.net

www.mo3bk.com

Most fleece fabrics won't have the colour effected by bleach....also you have to make sure you use hot water.

Try adding a cup of white distilled vinegar in your final rinse water. Not only does it help eliminate odors, it is anti-bacterial, and helps remove soap residue. There will be no vinegar smell.

I also like to use downy fabric softener sheets, but NOT on dark clothes, because it spots them. It is a nice clean smell, but if one has allergies, I would just use the vinegar.

Good Luck!

Soak overnight in a pretty strong vinegar solution. This won't harm the fabric or color. Drain in the AM and then wash as usual with laundry soap.

If that doesn't work try an enzyme cleaner like Natur's Miracle found in Pet stores.

Try using spreading shaving crem over the area and let sit for few hours, then wash as usual. Another suggestion is to add 1/2 cup of Mr. Clean or similiar type product along with your detergent when washing the articles. Rinse a second time for best results

I would say soak the items in baking soda over night then give them a good wash with hot water and then hang them outside to dry.

Hugs, Zissy

I also had the same problem with both of my sons too, I wash the everyting in as hot as water as I can,

with bleach and soap, then I hang everything out to air dry,

the sun and wind helps pull all the smells out

Cindy, from Elkhart, In.

I've had luck washing items with liquid Lysol - just that. Then I wash them a second time with detergent and you could add vinegar to the rinse. I always wash in cold water.

Try Arm & Hammer's Super Washing Soda. It is a laundry booster in addition to absorbing odors. Good luck!

Pet Stain & Oder Remover will remove all traces of urine from any fabric or carpeting. There are many different brands, but they all work pretty much the same.

2 suggestions-Oust spray for rooms-I have an incontinent dog and this works quickly and completely on both urine and stool odors. WalMart $3.47 unscented.

Second suggestion-KrudKutter at Lowe's $5.87 for 40 oz in spray bottle. Dog urine on off white velvet chair-sprayed with KrudKutter, waited 3-4 minutes wiped with white towel-no stain,no odor. Will also take out bad laundry stains [spaghetti sauce on white blouse had been washed & dried. KrudKutter took the stain out completely. Sprayed blouse, left it on washer while putting other clothes in, put in and washed with warm/cold water. No smell to it, either

VINEGAR!!!!

Dilute 1/2 cup of white vinegar with enough warm water to make 4 cups vinegar water.

You can double if necessary.

Just throughly wet his sleeper and blanket in vinegar water and I promise no more odor!!

Then wash as you normally would.

Use this to deodorize his matress too if it needs it.

Much safer than using harsh chemicals in his clothing and bedding.

i find that with my two young girls, the best thing for any stain/odor removal is to add borax to the wash -- and if the smell is really strong, let his jammies and blanket soak in the washing machine with the borax and laundry soap added for a half-hour or so before running the cycle.

has always worked for me! good luck!

I bought a fleece sweat suit and first time I washed it balled up and has lint all over it. I followed the washing instructions and that is what happened. I have used all kinds of lint brushes and nothing has worked. Any suggestions please to how I can get all the little lint balls off?

Thanks,
Vicki from Texas

I have terrible trouble washing anything polar fleece. It always comes out with fluff which a clothes brush does little to fix. Any tips?

Camille from Canberra

Turn garment inside out before washing in warm water. Don't use the dryer; hang to dry on line.

All I have read recommends washing in COLD water.

You think you have problems - try living with a Golden Retriever.

Yes, do as Edie says, use cold water, wash garments inside out, and hang to dry. Try using a vinegar rinse in your wash to cut down on lint When buying new fleece items in the future, look for the micro-fleece. It stays nicer longer and doesn't attract and hang onto nearly the amount of lint, dog hair, etc.

Handwash it!

I have a heated polar fleece blanket. It plugs into cigarette lighter. How can I wash this? Is it safe to wash in the washer and then dry in the dryer or do I line dry?

Angi from Kansas City, MO

I have a similar product. The instructions I received were: DO NOT use commercial washers OR dryers. IF your washer has a gentle cycle use it with cool water. If there is no gentle cycle it is advised to handwash in cool water. Never twist and NEVER run through a wringer. Let it soak for 10 minutes before letting the washer run its cycle. It is much preferred to line dry it but if you must use a dryer........dry on low heat for shortest period of time.

How do I remove spider cobweb strands from my fleece top? I went crawling in the attic and got cobwebs all over my back. I have tried sellotape (Scotch tape), and a lint roller. That doesn't lift it at all. I tried washing it off, it's still there!

By Jess