Cleaning Glass Doors on a Wood Stove

A contained fire creates soot and grimy film on the window of a stove. This guide is about cleaning glass doors on a wood stove.

Glass Doors on Wood Stove
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

We use our fireplace a lot. The inside glass doors to the fireplace have that thick dirty film on them from so many fires. I don't want to scrape the glass with a blade because I don't want it to have scratches on them. Has anyone had this problem of cleaning theirs and found a good way to get them at least almost like new to see through again? My elbow grease and cleaners like Windex, detergent, are just not cutting it! Would appreciate your help. With the holidays here I would like to have them look nice and be able to see the fire when the doors are closed.

Julie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A magic eraser will work. So will the liquid cleaner for glass top ranges. In addition, I have used a razor and never made a scratch. Be sure to use the flat ones made for scraping (rather than a box cutter). Held at the proper angle, it's like magic!

Best Answer

We use newspaper dampened, then dipped in the ashes, to scrub the window. Works great.

Best Answer

Oven cleaner and a fine steel wool. It will clean and polish the glass.

Best Answer

I use biodegradable Pink Solution. Google pink solution and see where it is available in your area. I use it for so many things.

Read More Answers...

How do you clean the soot off the window of a wood fireplace?

Louise from Nipawin, SK, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

For years I have been cleaning my fireplace glass with "Bon Ami" and have no scratches after many years. Just warm water, Bon Ami, and a little elbow grease!

Best Answer

All I use is the Magic Eraser... no chemicals or cleaners needed :) This also works for soap scum on shower doors!

Best Answer

At Linens-N-Things I found "Ceramic Glass Appliance Cleaner" - I think it's supposed to be fore ceramic cook tops. It's $3.99 for a bottle and works like a dream w/ just a paper towel. I've also actually used a straight edge razor if it's caked on really badly and nothing works.

Best Answer

This is how I did it for years. Crumple a page or two of newspaper. Run some water over it while holding it under the faucet - keeping some of it dry. Dab the wet newspaper in the ashes and rub it on the glass. Repeating until the glass is clear enough to wipe it up with glass cleaner.

Read More Answers...

I'm looking for a safe, inexpensive, possibly eco-friendly solution for cleaning my glass fire place doors. Ellowyn, WV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Simple, no cost. Take damp newspaper and dip in cold wood ashes. Rub on glass until creosote and film comes off. Repeat as needed; finish with window cleaner. Works better than any thing I buy.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone have a home remedy to keep that yucky black soot from building up on fireplace and wood stove glass doors?

butterfly11h from Lebanon, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know how to keep it from building up, but I have found a great way to remove it.

I use a product marketed for laundry stain removal called Soilove. You can purchase at www.soapsgonebuy.com

Hope this helps, it really works like a charm. Spray on and wipe with paper towels.

Home and Garden Cleaning GlassApril 8, 2013
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 9:40:03 PM on 10.0.2.159 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.