Cleaning Pyrex Pans

Pyrex pans are a popular cooking option. Following a few simple steps you can keep them clean and clear for years to come. This is a guide about cleaning Pyrex pans.

May 30, 2009 Flag

I own several Pyrex, glass measuring cups that will not come clean. They all have a film on them. I have tried scouring by hand and running in the dishwasher. I have tried bleaching them, letting them sit overnight in various soaps and bleach, etc., but no luck. I specified they are made of glass, because I'm not sure if Pyrex makes only glass products.

I thank you for your help.

By collinsmom from NJ

This isn't very "green" but have you tried Oven Cleaner? I use it for my Pyrex casseroles that get a build up every now and then from use, and it works fine for me. Spray on and leave overnight, then wash thoroughly, first in soapy water, then in clear water. Best of luck.

Leah from Down Under.

I take all my glassware that have film on them and soak them over night in a pan of water and a big scoop of oxiclean. in fact, I use the generic brands. I learned this tip from a bar bartender. Good luck, it works for me!

Pyrex makes a lot of things that shouldn't go in the dishwasher. The finish comes off leaving them looking filmy. The glass is etched. This includes the writing on glass measuring cups. If you've been running them through the dishwasher, this might be the problem. They're clean, they just don't look it.

Try soaking them in vinegar (as previously suggested) and baking soda in a dishpan. Fill them up with white vinegar and then sprinkle in lots of baking soda. I do this when my dishes and glassware form a non-etched film and it works quite well. By using a dishpan, when the baking soda starts to fizz, the overflow will stay in the pan.

May 26, 2009 Flag

How do you remove burned food from Pyrex? It is a sugary glaze that burned on to the Pyrex.

By gmadrum from Turlock, CA

Although it isn't as 'green' as baking soda or vinegar, I use a small amount of straight bleach for a burned-on area. First I remove as much as I can and then only add enough bleach to cover the spot.

I would have to agree with everybody here on the dish-washing detergent. I soaked the dish in cascade dish-washing detergent with water for an hour which softened all the grease up and then I scrubbed all the grease away with a brillo pad. The dish came out looking brand new. It was all messed up before. It had all types of spots all over it. It had been like this for atleast a month. I thought it was done, but I wanted to give it one last chance before I had said the grease settled in. And it didnt. It all came out. Give this one a shot!

OK. This works great, I had a dish soaking for days but nothing happened. But, then I added water until the stain was covered. Then put in a teaspoon of salt and a healthy squirt of dish soap (I used fairy brand). Then I microwaved the concoction for 3 minutes on high. The whole thing scrubbed off easily with the scouring side of a dish sponge.

I had baked on food for years on my pyrex 9 x13 and read here that Mr. Clean Erasers would remove it. So $3.79 later I still have baked on food. Didn't even touch it. Don't waste your money save MR.Clean for the bathroom. Now on to Easy Off oven cleaner and give that a shot. I'm doing it outside however, that stuff is toxic!

February 28, 2001 Flag

Do you have crusted stuff you want off the bottom of a Pyrex pan? Just fill it halfway full of water, put in about 1/4 cup baking soda, let come to a boil on the stove. Turn it off, forget about it for about 2 hours. Go back, and voila, it's clean!

Cathy in Wilmington, NC

Warning- On cleaning the Pyrex container,all my Pyrex is glass and the

reason it says on the bowl do not heat under broiler or on top of stove is because when it starts to cool off it will explode,or rather shatter.

I've had this happen a couple of times when someone accidentally turned on the burner under one. - Debbi

I believe this tip is only for Pyrex (glass) sauce pans (meant for stove top use) NOT baking dishes or casseroles. Do not treat your baking dishes in this way, they could shatter. - Susan

I use bleach (!/2 Spoon) and a dash of dish soap let set over night let new no scrubbing at all it works. The Miracle maid electric Pan I am having a hard time cleaning the inside. Pan is 38 years old. Cooks good.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 9, 2013
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean