Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

I have 6 kids and 4 dogs and a 1 1/2 year old tan microfiber sectional. The rubbing alcohol trick has worked up until now to clean up general stains, but the dogs started peeing on it for some reason and the cushions are filled with feathers. Any ideas on how to get the urine out of the cushions? The cushion covers I can clean, but the feathers I am stumped over.

Jennifer from Gilbert, AZ

Answers:

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

This is like closing the door after the dog gets out; but when I bought a new couch, I took the fabric off the cushion, put the cushion in a heavy duty plastic rubbish bag, folded the excess and used duct tape to seal it. Then put the fabric back on. Have 4 dogs and this has saved lots of scolding. Took the cushions [after several years], had denim material cut as I would wrapping paper for a present and wrapped each cushion, securing openings with large safety pins. When dirty, remove the straight piece of fabric, wash, dry, and put back on cushions. (08/14/2007)

By JoanDogs

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

My son soaked my chaise during a nap, and to get rid of the smell I used Kids n Pets from Wal Mart. It really did work, although I had to use two bottles. After a day it was dry and while it smelled like chemicals for a few days, at least it wasn't pee. It wasn't too horrible of a smell either, not very strong, only if you were lying on the bed. (10/04/2007)

By Potty-Training Mommy

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

I highly recommend Nature's Miracle. It has worked for me numerous times. You can find it at most pet stores. (11/14/2007)

By Ashley

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Urine is generally acidic so it would make sense to neutralize it with a base, something soapy. It is soluble in water, so it should come out as long as you rinse it well. (11/30/2007)

By Peter

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

To get my cushions to dry I just set them in front of our heat vents for 2 days. (03/05/2008)

By J

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

(submitted via email)

Do not soak with water unless you are sure it will dry. I washed my cushions and kept them in the sun to dry. It was over 100 degrees out. They never dried and I left them out for a week.

Annette (05/12/2008)

By jess

Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄