Browsing: Cleaning Yellow Stains on White T-Shirts

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Yellow Stains on White T-Shirts

Yellow stains on your whites may be the result of perspiration or using bleach in your laundry. This is a guide about cleaning yellow stains on white t-shirts.

White T-Shirt
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 30, 2008 Flag

My husband's white t-shirts have turned yellow from using bleach. How can I get them white again?

Karen from Dallas, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Clorox will eventually turn your whites yellow, so use it sparingly. Spray the shirts with Awesome. Let sit for a hour, then I soak white t-shirts in hot water, with baking soda. Put in wash cycle. If still yellow, try soaking them in bluing (add the bluing to the water and mix) then add shirts and wash again. It may take a few times, but they will get white after a few washings, sometimes I have added oxy-clean to the wash with a little detergent after I try everything else.

How do you avoid them turning yellow in the FIRST place, thanks!

Hi, This has also happened to me. I have a white embroidered shirt with a bit of stretch in, its 5% elastene, 95% cotton. I put some ariel stain remover and whitener powder in the wash that was a certain % chlorine bleaching agent. I didn't realize this at the time as I was doing the washing in zombie mode. The shirt has come out of the wash with a yellow tint and I'm really upset. It was my favourite shirt not to mention it was expensive. Does anybody know how to restore this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, when I bleached my son's sweat shirt turned yellow but immediately I add 3 teaspoons of Bicarbonate of Soda to a hot water & dip the shirt for a few minutes! Bang on! Worked! My son's shirt is pure white now!

Read More Answers...

August 27, 2007 Flag

I seem to run into a problem with white shirts. For some reason, even with shirts I have never worn, if the shirt is white, after a few days these yellowish brown spots will appear on the shirt. Most of the time it's just small spots, but there have been times where the spot is much bigger, covering the large areas of the shirt. These spots also don't seem to come out in the wash. I have tried a variety of detergents and things. This only seems to happen to cotton t-shirts though. What is this and how can i get it out?!

xjussx from Parkersburg, WV

I have the same problem. It's with all of my clothes though, not just white T-shirts. It doesn't matter if they are hanging in my closet or folded in my dresser. They just appear and nothing, not even straight bleach, takes them out. If you find anything that works, would you please share it with me. LynetteOD856 @aol. com

Sounds familiar. Does anybody in your house smoke?

That could be a cause.

It's a mystery to us all about the yellow stains.. I have a beautiful linen table cloth that belonged to my mom and it was put away in a cedar chest and still got the stains on it. If you find the answer i would like to know as well.

I use either WISK or TIDE detergent for my clothes. Occasionally, I get yellow or brown tiny spots on white clothes only. Here's what I do: Using hot water I use the normal amount of detergent, add about 1/2 of BORAX & 1 cup of bleach. Magic, the spots disappear. Good luck & let me know how you make out. Here's my e-mail address: thestaceys2 AT verizon.net

Read More Answers...

October 6, 2009 Flag

My bleach is leaving yellow spots on white T-shirts. Is this because I am buying a cheaper brand of bleach? How can I get these yellow stains out?

By louisemy from Pensacola, FL

The reason you are seeing yellow stains is because you are using too much bleach. Also bleach does not like body odors. The yellow is probably mostly under the arm pit area. Try to use less bleach this should work for you. Linda

Yellow Out is amazing product. Available in the USA and Canada. Check online where you can buy it. I believe Walmart, Ace Hardware carry it in Texas. What you have is Bleach Burn. As Linda says you probably used too much bleach. Yellow Out will do the trick. Hedera

My sister gave me several tops that she didn't want because they had yellow spots on them. She said it happened in the wash. I took clorox cleanup and sprayed the spots and then washed as usual and every spot was gone and I had about 15 perfect white tops.

January 10, 2011 Flag

How do you remove yellow stains from white t-shirts?

By Gene from Rochester, PA

If you've already tried soaking the clothing in vinegar or Oyx Clean; then try a great product called "IRON OUT." Soak the clothes in a solution of Iron Out and then wash as usual. We have well water and my whites yellow quickly. What Oxy doesn't get out, Iron Out does!

A better product by the same manufacturer, Yellow Out. It will remove any yellow based stain. Follow the instructions. It does an amazing job.

July 31, 2011 Flag

I have a white embroidered shirt with a bit of stretch in, it's 5% elastene, 95% cotton. I put some Ariel stain remover and whitener powder in the wash that was a certain % chlorine bleaching agent. I didn't realise this at the time as I was doing the washing in zombie mode. The shirt has come out of the wash with a yellow tint and I'm really upset. It was my favourite shirt, not to mention it was expensive. Does anybody know how to restore this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By LaurenD from England

I don't think you'll be able to get the yellow out. I've done the same thing a couple of times and sadly had to give up on the garment. I even tried one of those colour strippers from Dyelon-didn't work. Sigh. My most heart felt condolences on your loss-finding the 'right blouse' is not easy nowadays and it's frustrating to lose something that is a favourite to a laundry accident!

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJune 18, 2013
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
White cat looking up at the camera.
Removing Tear Stains on White Cats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:43:04 PM on 10.0.2.169 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.