The inside of my microwave got very burnt, a microwave rice cooker burnt to cinders. It is very brown and burnt on the inside. What can I clean it with to get rid of the burnt look?
Patricia from Miami, Florida
I used a vinegar, water, and lemon juice spray first then scrubbed the hard to get off spots with a paste of baking soda and water using a toothbrush. It worked pretty well. I then left a bowl of baking soda in the microwave for a few days, that helped with the smell. (06/20/2007)
I wiped down the microwave with the nail polish remover 5 times and with Simple Green 2 times. They helped with the cavity of the micro, but not the air ventilation system, where the burnt smell stays. I tried the coffee grounds idea and did it twice for thoroughness. I have no more smell. The coffee method did leave a coating of coffee inside the cavity, but I just Windexed and wiped, and now I'm good as new. (09/16/2007)
As far as the odor, put it outside for a couple of days. This worked for us when our daughter burned Canadian bacon in ours. (11/03/2007)
After burning up a bag of popcorn, the stench was horrific. I thought I'd surely have to just replace the microwave. So, I tried the acetone. Took the yellow right off. Then I put a couple tablespoons of coffee in a mug, filled it half full of water; set that in another microwave bowl and let it go for 2 minutes on high. Smell is gone now too. I merely wiped it out with a damp soft towel and all is well in microwave land again. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. (02/17/2008)
OK, so the acetone works well inside the microwave, but the smell didn't seem to be leaving the area. I realized it was because the vent fan circulated the burnt popcorn smell as well. Turning the fan on to high and sending some Febreze mist right into the intake (bottom of microwave above the stove top) seems to do the trick if you keep spraying some in every 5 minutes or so. (06/25/2008)
I well-overcooked the microwave popcorn. Thanks to all for the finger-nail polish remover. The microwave was badly yellowed and the nail polish did the trick. We used non-acetone and it worked just fine. For the smell, we heated the cut lemons, but still had a smell of hot lemon and nail polish smell, so I added some Cascade dishwashing liquid with lemon scent, just a few drops into the bowl with the lemons. Now we've got a clean detergent smell. Hope this last step helps someone else. PMV (07/14/2008)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!