Cleaning a Can Opener

I have a hand held can opener that has some gunk on it. How do I clean it?

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

Answers:

Cleaning a Can Opener

You can take a new toothbrush, get it wet and apply a drop of dishwashing liquid. Then scrub the gunky areas with the toothbrush, rinsing with water as you go. Store can opener upright in dish drainer, to air dry. (04/16/2009)

By Dibbs

Cleaning a Can Opener

Pour Rubbing Alcohol onto a paper towel or old toothbrush and wipe it off or run it through the dishwasher. You can also soak it in denture cleaner. (04/17/2009)

By Cyinda

Cleaning a Can Opener

After cleaning it, every so often run wax paper through it. This works well on manual or electric can openers. (04/17/2009)

By keeper60

Cleaning a Can Opener

I run mine through the dishwasher every few days. I've had the same one for over 10 years and it's never failed me yet!

After a cycle in the dishwasher I take a small square of paper towel, dip it in vegetable oil, and run the paper towel through the can opener. If I don't do that then I just give it a good spray of Pam and then crank it a few times. (04/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

Cleaning a Can Opener

If you don't have a dishwasher, just soak it in soapy water for a few minutes and then scrub with a fingernail brush or old toothbrush. (04/22/2009)

By Deeli

Cleaning a Can Opener

For easy cleaning, I spray mine with Oven Cleanser before retiring for the night; then in the morning, I just use a toothbrush for easy removal of any remains while rinsing under hot water. It sparkles. (10/10/2009)

By Cajun62234