Cleaning a Flour Sifter

Flour Sifter
Cleaning your flour sifter is actually really easy. This is a guide about cleaning a flour sifter.

Yes, maybe is time to throw away the old thing, but it is still working so well and I hate to buy something inferior in quality from China. So, I'd like to give a shot at cleaning it well before I get rid of it. Any suggestions that I should try?

Many thanks in advance for your time in replying.

By araucano

Best Answer

To clean my flour sifter, I submerge it completely in hot water and detergent, soak for about 15 minutes, then scrub thoroghly, using an old toothbrush on the screen bottom and in the crevices. Rinse well with hot water, and then I dry it with my hairdryer set on high. I leave it out in the dish rack overnight to make sure it is totally dry. The sifter I have was my mother's, and I remember using it as a child. I am now in my 60's. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I soaked mine then rinsed it good in hot water and sent it thru the dish washer and like new.

I have a flour sifter. It has two layers of wire screen (the sifting mechanism is between them). However, some flour has gotten stuck inside and no matter what I do, I can't get it out. I've tried drying it in the sun and using a high-pressure water stream. Nothing works and it does not come apart. Any ideas?

By Doxiemom from Coplay, PA

Answers

Best Answer

If you haven't found the answer yet, try this. In the sink, in a pot big enough to cover the sifter/dried flour, put hot white vinegar in to cover the gunk, let soak several minutes. Be sure you have this in the sink, add about 1/4 cup of baking soda stand back as it will foam fast. Then wait until it stops bubbling and add another 1/4 cup baking soda. When that is done dump that out and wash in hot water and dish soap. If the gunk has not come out do the process over again.

Good Luck, GG Vi