Sifting Flour Without a Sifter

Category Cooking Tips
Some recipes call for sifting the flour, but you don't own a sifter. There are other ways to sift flour using things you may already own. This is a guide about sifting flour without a sifter.

If you don't have a fly sifter but a recipe calls for sifting ingredients, put the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well with a whisk.

Has anyone ever had a sifter that actually works? Of course years ago we all sifted flours and every now and then I get a recipe that needs that. My sifters always seem to get very difficult to use. The inward motion to shift is OK but to release it again I have to use my hand to put it back to stage 1, a real pain in the neck. Do I really need to sift flour in this day and time?

By Nancy from Lewisville, TX

Answers

Best Answer

For many years I have not sifted flour, instead I just whisk.

Best Answer

I have a sifter with a handle that you crank or turn and it works all the time.

Best Answer

Best thing to do when you get a bag of flour it put it in a new container, that puts some air into it right away. Then use a wire strainer.

Best way to measure flour is by weighing, then you know you have exactly what you need, if you used flour before and after sifted, you can get two different measurements.

Martha Stewart also suggests, weighing flour (I got a Biggest Loser scale for 14.99 with coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond, works great!) then using a whisk with all the dry ingredients, waa laa, "sifted"!