Flour Stuck in Sifter

I have a flour sifter. It has two layers of wire screen (the sifting mechanism is between them). However, some flour has gotten stuck inside and no matter what I do, I can't get it out. I've tried drying it in the sun and using a high-pressure water stream. Nothing works and it does not come apart. Any ideas?

By pat from Coplay, PA

Best Answer

If you haven't found the answer yet, try this. In the sink, in a pot big enough to cover the sifter/dried flour, put hot white vinegar in to cover the gunk, let soak several minutes. Be sure you have this in the sink, add about 1/4 cup of baking soda stand back as it will foam fast. Then wait until it stops bubbling and add another 1/4 cup baking soda. When that is done dump that out and wash in hot water and dish soap. If the gunk has not come out do the process over again.

Good Luck, GG Vi

Anonymous

I tried this a couple of times and now I have more stuff between the screens and they look rusted. What did I do wrong?

Anonymous

Going to use hot water and vinegar and let air dry

Try soaking the entire sifter in a tub of hot water. The flour should turn into "goo" and be easily washed out.

Thank you, I did try that. The flour just clumps up thicker and gets stuck. Then it dries into a hard ball. I've tried blowing it out with the hose on the sink too, but that doesn't work either.

My mom suggested a toothpick. I have a long cake tester with has gotten some of the pieces out, but it sure is time consuming and only gets little bits out. Then of course I'll also have to do this everytime. I never had this problem with my old sifter because it only had one screen. It seems that with this style, I'm stuck witht his problem.

I use an old toothbrush for that very problem. If I have to soak it to get it out, that just makes the brushing easier. Probably your strainer was damp when you used it. Flour and water set up like concrete, but a few hours' soaking should soften it up. Good luck!

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Small Kitchen AppliancesApril 23, 2009
🌻
🍀
🐰