Clematis Not Blooming

You chose your clematis for its showy flowers, so it is at the very least disappointing when it fails to bloom. This is a guide about clematis not blooming.

Clematis
Filter Sort

Question: When Will My Clematis Bloom?

By Mike Kolozs 5 1

Question:

How long before clematis starts blooming? I planted from a gallon container.

Mike from Mercier, Qc.,Canada

Answer:

Hi Mike,

Clematis can take a year or two to bloom after first being planted, and will require at least several more years before reaching full maturity. A lot depends on the age and health of the plant you purchased, the growing conditions you provide for it, and how fast it's able to establish roots after being planted. As the old adage goes, the first year perennials sleep, the second they creep, the third they leap. It sounds a bit corny, but it's true!

Expect your clematis to need a minimum of one to two seasons of "settling in" before you see blooms. During the first year (while it "sleeps"), the plant will direct the majority of its energy into establishing a strong root system. A good root system is critical for a vigorous vine, so be sure to fertilize and water your clematis regularly (try a 5-10-10 fertilizer) This will create a good foundation for years of beautiful blooms, and before you know it, your new clematis will reward you with years of prolific blooms.

Try these links for more information on growing clematis:

Good luck!

Ellen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Judi 18 938 Flag

Different kinds bloom at different times. What kind is yours?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Clematis Won't Bloom

By Donna Marie 7 4

Why didn't my clematis bloom?

Sandy from Milwaukee, WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I used flat rocks/tiles "tented" over the bottom of the plant to keep the roots cool and lots and lots of blooms were the result. Warm head and cold feet!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Clematis Not Flowering

By Peggy Clark 27 1

I've had this clematis for eight years and it has always grown and flowered beautifully every year, but this year it has grown very tall and has loads of beautiful leaves, but is not budding. I fertilized it the beginning of spring. What is happening to it?

By Peggy C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Catherine 7 153 Flag

Maybe your clematis has enjoyed the fertilizer too much and will produce only foliage this year. You should use rose-tree fertilizer before spring and after summer. To help your clematis produce more flowers next year just prune it.

Pruning time depends on the type of clematis. Varieties with small flowers blooming in winter and spring (cirrhosa, armandii, alpina and macropetala) will be pruned after flowering. For others, prune late winter cutting back one or two older branches to 30-40 cm. It should keep your clematis vigorous and floriferous.

Clematis armandii and montana can be pruned every two to four years by cutting all its branches at 40 cm from the ground just after flowering. I know it feels hard to cut back a beautiful clematis but it really helps the plant. I have a 3 years old Clematis Armandii. It had only 2 branches and nearly died this winter after spending a whole week covered with snow just when it had started flowering. Its bigger branch was broken accidently and in one week its started 2 new branches from its foot so that this accidental pruning has made it produce more branches in one week than it did in 3 years and the general shape of the plant will be much nicer too!

Hope this helps! Catherine

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Clematis Stopped Blooming

My clematis grows very well. It use to have all kinds of blooms, but in the last couple of years it has had none.

By Bev F

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

How old is it? A lot of plants have a 'shelf life'. Like humans and every other living thing, they have a life span-your clematis might be at the end of its. Although they have a long life span, you may have got your plant when it was at a middle-aged point.

But it could be something else, too. This is a good article about clematis, hope it helps you figure out what is going on with yours:

http://www.projo.com/garden/content ... ematis_06-24-07_735T09J.154d492.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Clematis Not Flowering

By Gerry Travers 3

I have had this clematis bush for over 3 years and it always flowers lovely pinkish flowers. This year none have appeared even though I looked after it as before. The only difference was I put teabags over the soil for my rose bush which is situated next to clematis. Did I do wrong?

By Gerry

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Gardening PerennialsMay 23, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Purple Clematis
Growing Clematis
bittersweet
Bittersweet Not Blooming
Large Purple Clematis Flower
Pruning a Clematis
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 3:48:28 PM on 10.0.0.129 in 791 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings