Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

I need some advice. I thought I was doing the right thing here but now I'm second guessing myself. I am in the middle of remodeling our home. We added a good sized kitchen which I painted the walls with the cabinets on them a dark apple red, we have hickory cabinets and wood floors. I would like to have hunter green countertops and go with an apple theme. Do you think the hunter counters would be too dark?

Wendy from Blanchardville, WI

Answers:

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

My daughter has a new home and the counters are forest green formica. They look elegant and expensive. Her cabinets look to me like cherry (wooden). The walls are not painted yet so are white. The forest green is a good color. I would use it if I were you. If your walls are a strong color (tone) you will want to use colors with similar strength (tone or depth) to balance that off, I think. For me, the deciding factor would be how much sunlight your kitchen receives. I should also let you know that the green counters do show the dust... They seem to show wet marks and food marks too. but they are very beautiful. I have old formica counters which are lighter yellow. I have never had any trouble with marks showing.. I just wanted you to know ahead of time.. But I truly believe if I were you, I'd go with your original choice of the dark green. Best wishes for the good outcome of your endeavor.. (12/23/2005)

By Carol

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

Personally, I would use the same beige color as the other rooms which would still look great with the blue countertops and white cabinets. Just find a beautiful border (there are thousands) with the colors from the wall and countertops as well as maybe some white in it. The "splash" of color will make the cabinets appear richer and you don't need to limit the border to the upper wall where it meets the ceiling. I used mine around the backsplash too. (12/30/2005)

By Marianne

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

As a real estate broker, I have to comment... I show many properties to a wide variety of people and the fact is, neutral sells! It's ok to have bold paint, bold fabrics and bold accessories to suit your own decorating style, but keep the "fixtures" neutral. In other words, if its an item that will be included in the sale of your home, make sure its neutral enough to suit many decor styles or that replacing it is cheap enough to do before selling. This will keep your home as marketable as possible and help you get more money for your home in the long run. This is also good to follow when buying expensive furniture items (like sofas etc), because if you keep the basic peice neutral to some degree, all you have to do to change the look is change your accent peices (like pillows and throws or even occassional chairs), but you protect your investment on the bigger ticket items. I would recommend a beigy type countertop and put lots of plants and green accessories to throw in that splash of color without overwhelming the space. (01/15/2006)

By Angela

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

I think the hunter counter top may be too dark. It would really depend how large of an open area the kitchen.
(12/04/2006)

By Monica Primm

Kitchen Countertop
Kitchen Countertop Color Advice
Choosing Kitchen Backsplash
Choosing Kitchen Backsplash Color
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Recycled Summer Top
Recycled Summer Tops
Yellow Bathroom Floor
Bathroom Floor Color Advice
🎉
🎄