Kitchen Countertop Color Advice

Category Kitchen
When remodeling your kitchen, choosing the best color countertop to coordinate with your cabinets and flooring can sometimes be challenging; there are so many options. This is a guide about kitchen countertop color advice.

I was shown a very dark green, almost black countertop but I am unsure about it. My floor has terracotta type tiles and it was painted sort of a rust color. I've asked the contractor to bring me some ideas for the backsplash to see what he thinks could bring that color countertop and the tiles together. My cabinets are sort of a cognac or chestnut color.

Does anyone think that a dark green granite countertop sounds strange in a kitchen with the colors I've described? I realize that I shouldn't look at the colors like I'm matching an outfit and I've always matched things, sometimes to the point of boredom. I need some opinions. Thanks so much.

kimble67 from Jersey City, NJ

Answers

By rae (Guest Post)

One thing to be careful of is that you don't pick a trendy color because styles change and you are stuck with it. Time passes quickly. You can have trouble selling a house with strange colors.

I've had this problem when we put in a blue bath tub and way back in the 70's rust and green shag carpet. Also, i think the dark counter top might show finger prints and grease marks.

I thought that dark green color was 'in' in the '80's. I saw it mentioned in an article about "How To De-'80's Your House." Me, I'm thinking about a gray or cream or granite along those lines. There is a spray paint that does granite look-alike and I like it, even though of course I'm not fooled. God Bless you!

No, I don't think the combination sounds odd at all. Look at modern decorating magazines or if you have them in your area, a home show where you get to tour new high-end houses that builders are competing for awards for.

I am sure you will see those colors.

I love the colors you described! I feel that the colors in your home are as important as your clothes! A blacksplash in brick would look good too!

By kimble67 (Guest Post)

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm going to take a pic of my kitchen (once I can figure out how this digital camera works) just so you can really see what I'm talking about. Stay tuned.

As long as the colors make you happy when you are the one to see them all the time. Pleasant is another feeling I go by when choosing colors. Nothing with conflict.

By kimble67 (Guest Post)

To T&T Grandma: Yeah, that's the thing, That's good advice also, "Pleasant" that is something I'll consider - I really like the colors but not sure that I want to commit to them ONLY because my husband and I would like to sell the house in a few years, so although the beige's and tan's for countertops tend to be more common, I might just go that route. We'll see.

I am remodeling and my kitchen/living room will all be open. My walls are rustic pine and my cabinets will be wormy chestnut with an old cast iron sink (white).

I am not sure what kind or color of counter tops to use. I would love to see some photos or ideas/suggestions please.

We are putting in a new kitchen. We have cherry cabinets and an orangish stone tile floor. I can't figure out what color countertop would look best. We are going to use Formica. Any ideas on colors?

By Jess from NY

Answers

Black granite would look nice and maybe you can find the granite look that has both cherry and orange in it. There's a lot of colors in granite look on the market right now as it's popular.

If your kitchen is mostly dark, saturated colors I would use a cream top. This will create a stronger contrast & will make your cabinets 'pop'.

If you want to go darker go with a deep chocolate brown (very dark brown). Brown will look nice with the existing warm colors. Good Luck!

Have you considered a warm gray, a gray with an orangish cast? The two other suggestions would work too. What can you live with? Counters can be a big investment. Greenish or bluish tinted light colors might be attractive if you want to tone down the red/orange. White or black will be high contrast and intensify the colors. If you can find them at a Goodwill store, get some towels or sheets of the colors you are considering and drape them across the existing counters so that color is the first thing you see when you come into the kitchen in the morning. That might help you.

Think Southwest and stick to earth tones. My vets office has this same coloring. For a long time they had a particular shade of pale blue that was very complimentary (an earthy light blue, nothing garish) and now they have redone it with a buttery shade of yellow that also looks great.

Sage greens would also work.

I have whitewash cabinets with black appliances and a black sink. I need help with countertop color.

By Tammy

Help! I have dark cherry bathroom cabinets, white 12 inch tile flooring, with inset of 2 inch teal green tile. I want to update with new counters and vessel sinks. What color counters would work with this flooring? Thanks.

By Conn from Sarasota, FL

Answers

Why not a counter top company and look at the samples they have available. You can take in a sample of your flooring and a door from the cabinets and matchwith there sample material. They will also let you take home some of the samples for you to match in your kitchen. I am redoing my counter tops and the counter top guys klet me take home a bunch of sample pieces to look at. From that I selected the counter top material and color of my new counter tops.

I'm thinking something with teal in it; or a paler teal with a rich deep terra cotta (i.e. specks of one or the other color).

What color is the main part of the tile? I am thinking teal, either a shade lighter or darker than the floor tile accent.

I need a blue for my kitchen counters. Not so dark that it looks black at night, but not light. We really like quartz. We are looking for that blue and yellow French look. The walls are yellow and the cabinets are white with blue flowers.

By Debbie Perkins from Berwyn, PA

Answers

I googled "quartz countertops" and found a number with blue samples. You could check them out, find something you like, find out where they are available in your area, and go look.

I think quartz is ideal because it gives you some color variation that will add texture. I would go for a middle of the road, leaning toward lighter blue.

I have a neighbor who just redid her kitchen. Although she used a granite, the colors in it were beautiful and unique. It had several shades of blue/green (light to medium) with flecks of a quartz-like blue/green. It looks almost like moving water. Maybe you could find something like it in blue (and in quartz),

We are looking into getting new kitchen cabinets and countertops. We cannot afford to redo the whole kitchen. We like our light color wood floors and white appliances are in good condition. The walls are a pale yellow. What color cabinets and counters would go with the rest of the kitchen we are not changing?

By Jennifer from Rochester, NY

Answers

Save money by replacing the fronts of your old cabinets.

You've got a real neutral paint color so you could almost go anywhere with it. Perhaps a sage or cranberry (if you want bold color) or a warm, honey on the cabinets. Have you considered painting the cabinets?

Here's one link that might help: http://www.oldh  n-cabinets.shtml

The cabinets we have now are pieces of junk. They have been painted several times already, are white now, and are falling apart. Whatever they are made of is cheap and starting to fall apart. So, refacing or replacing the fronts of the cabinets is out of the question. On top of that, we will be adding a few more cabinets where there is unused space in the kitchen. Attached is a pic of the kitchen where you can see the floor color and the wall color. I know you can't tell how bad the cabinets are by the pic but even when you open them the insides are starting to break down.
I like the idea of Honey cabinets. Would you suggest darker countertops then?

I have oak cupboards and a blue and beige floor. I am having a hard time deciding on what color to chose for the the walls and countertops.

By Deb

My kitchen has 8 inch dark forest green ceramic tiles that have a little black marbling and a very little grey in it. My problem is I want to replace the dark green marble look countertop. I am so done with it. My cupboards are white, appliances white, and walls a light grey. Can someone help me please?

By Joanne K.

What color counter tops would go good with apple green walls and medium maple cabinets?

By Wendy from Cleveland, TN

I have mocha maple cabinets and peach flower granite on the floor. What color granite counter top can I use with this combo?

By Sini from NY

Answers

You will want something that contrasts with the cabinets, go a few shades lighter or darker.

I have black appliances with oak cabinets and we want to replace counter tops what color and style would be the best?

I would like to cosmetically add to my kitchen. We are not painting cupboards or changing the floor. We have black appliances and I would like to keep the room fresh. I am willing to look at quartz with an undermount sink. I have primed the frames around the new windows and patio door. I would like to paint the room BM "abalone" and the accent walls "silver fox". What do you suggest for the counter? We have 64 square feet and I want to be certain of the choice.

I have yellow walls, a red, blue and yellow plaid valence with white sink and white tiles. What color Cambria counter top should I get?

I am moving to a new town, and have decided to do child care in our new home so that I can stay home with my own 2 young children. I am looking for catchy names. It doesn't necessarily need to contain something with all of the following, but here are some facts -

My name is Ashley
We are a family of 4
I am going to help educate kids
We are moving into a brand new house
We are moving to a smaller farm town

My walls are celery root green with antiqued sage green cabinets. My floor is ceramic tile called ulah sand. I will be using an old timey cast iron sink that is an almond color. What color tile should I use on the countertops?

By Vicki

My cabinets are beige. I'm looking for colours for my countertops and floor. Grey floor comes to mind, and mulling over black, dotted brown, or maroon top. I can't seem to see this combination in pictures on the internet.
Thank you.

By Katherine from Malaysia

I have a yellow kitchen with oak cabinets, wood floors and trim. I recently purchased stainless steel appliances and am now hoping to get new countertops and backsplash. What shade of countertops and back splash should I be looking at? The lighting in my kitchen is a Tiffany style ( not Tiffany brand.. ;0) ) lighting with pieces of colored glass, such as reds, blues, greens, and yellow. I like the idea of a glass tile backsplash or the tin. The countertop shade also has me stumped. Help?

By Josie W.

I have white cabinets, dark kitchen, and wood flooring. What color Silestone should I choose for the countertops?

By Maxine

I have a mocha glaze kitchen cabinets. I am trying to choose a granite counter top. I need to decide between black galaxy and verde butterfly a dark green. My floor and back splash are both beige. I would also like some ideas for wall paint colors. Thank you.

By yola from Leonia, NJ

I want to paint my kitchen red. I have merlot cabinets and want to bring orange into the color scheme (curtains, etc.). What color should my countertop be?

By FrenchLil from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Go to a counter top color display and collect color sample chips. These will hep narrow down your choices. In my mind's eye. I would consider matching with your white or black countertop appliances. I would make the argument to use similar colors to keep the effect of the dominant reds by using a single complementary color contrast for your countertops.

I have orange walls, white cabinets, and cream floors. I would appreciate your suggestion on what color countertop I should get.
Thank you.

By Carmen

We have medium oak cupboards. The kitchen faces north so less light. There are white appliances. Kitchen, dining, and living room are all in one. Parquet flooring and darker raspberry carpet. What color arborite do you suggest?

By Carol

I am remodeling my kitchen (DYI). My cabinets are distressed antique white with brushed nickel knobs, my floor is light grey tile, my 10' walls are painted a very light grey (almost a white with a hint of grey), my backsplash is dark grey tile. My appliances are black and/or stainless steel. I would like to replace my plain white countertops. What color should I be looking for?

By Paula C. from Pittsburgh, PA

Load More