Kitchen Countertop Color Advice

Category Kitchen
When remodeling your kitchen, choosing the best color countertop to coordinate with your cabinets and flooring can sometimes be challenging; there are so many options. This is a guide about kitchen countertop color advice.

I was shown a very dark green, almost black countertop but I am unsure about it. My floor has terracotta type tiles and it was painted sort of a rust color. I've asked the contractor to bring me some ideas for the backsplash to see what he thinks could bring that color countertop and the tiles together. My cabinets are sort of a cognac or chestnut color.

Does anyone think that a dark green granite countertop sounds strange in a kitchen with the colors I've described? I realize that I shouldn't look at the colors like I'm matching an outfit and I've always matched things, sometimes to the point of boredom. I need some opinions. Thanks so much.

kimble67 from Jersey City, NJ

Answers

One thing to be careful of is that you don't pick a trendy color because styles change and you are stuck with it. Time passes quickly. You can have trouble selling a house with strange colors. I've had this problem when we put in a blue bath tub and way back in the 70's rust and green shag carpet. Also, i think the dark counter top might show finger prints and grease marks.

I thought that dark green color was 'in' in the '80's. I saw it mentioned in an article about "How To De-'80's Your House." Me, I'm thinking about a gray or cream or granite along those lines. There is a spray paint that does granite look-alike and I like it, even though of course I'm not fooled. God Bless you!

No, I don't think the combination sounds odd at all. Look at modern decorating magazines or if you have them in your area, a home show where you get to tour new high-end houses that builders are competing for awards for. I am sure you will see those colors.

I love the colors you described! I feel that the colors in your home are as important as your clothes! A blacksplash in brick would look good too!

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm going to take a pic of my kitchen (once I can figure out how this digital camera works) just so you can really see what I'm talking about. Stay tuned.

As long as the colors make you happy when you are the one to see them all the time. Pleasant is another feeling I go by when choosing colors. Nothing with conflict.

To T&T Grandma: Yeah, that's the thing, That's good advice also, "Pleasant" that is something I'll consider - I really like the colors but not sure that I want to commit to them ONLY because my husband and I would like to sell the house in a few years, so although the beige's and tan's for countertops tend to be more common, I might just go that route. We'll see.

I am remodeling and my kitchen/living room will all be open. My walls are rustic pine and my cabinets will be wormy chestnut with an old cast iron sink (white). I am not sure what kind or color of counter tops to use. I would love to see some photos or ideas/suggestions please.

We are putting in a new kitchen. We have cherry cabinets and an orangish stone tile floor. I can't figure out what color countertop would look best. We are going to use Formica. Any ideas on colors?

By Jess from NY

Answers

Black granite would look nice and maybe you can find the granite look that has both cherry and orange in it. There's a lot of colors in granite look on the market right now as it's popular.

If your kitchen is mostly dark, saturated colors I would use a cream top. This will create a stronger contrast & will make your cabinets 'pop'. If you want to go darker go with a deep chocolate brown (very dark brown). Brown will look nice with the existing warm colors. Good Luck!

Have you considered a warm gray, a gray with an orangish cast? The two other suggestions would work too. What can you live with? Counters can be a big investment. Greenish or bluish tinted light colors might be attractive if you want to tone down the red/orange. White or black will be high contrast and intensify the colors. If you can find them at a Goodwill store, get some towels or sheets of the colors you are considering and drape them across the existing counters so that color is the first thing you see when you come into the kitchen in the morning. That might help you.

Think Southwest and stick to earth tones. My vets office has this same coloring. For a long time they had a particular shade of pale blue that was very complimentary (an earthy light blue, nothing garish) and now they have redone it with a buttery shade of yellow that also looks great. Sage greens would also work.

I have whitewash cabinets with black appliances and a black sink. I need help with countertop color.

By Tammy

Answers

Depends on how bold, traditional, or quirky you want to go. You could do red. Black, white and red is often rather quirky.

You could go white, blending with the white that is already there. If you wanted to do add something else in curtains, shades, etc, it would not clash with the red.

I would stay away from ivory, cream, or an off-white, it could look like you were trying to match the white and did not succeed.

As for what I would do, it depends on how big the room is, and the natural lighting. If it is a large room, with great natural light for at least half the day, I would go with red. If not, I would go with white, with a possible mirror to bounce around the natural light and make the room lighter and appear bigger.

Really, ANYTHING you choose could work, but with something as permanent as countertops, just make sure you are in love with it. Cabinets can be sanded/painted/replaced alot more inexpensively than countertops.

Try this. It's Better Homes and Gardens paint site where you can pick your colors for items in different rooms. Hope it helps. Good Luck
http://www.bhg.  to-color-a-room/

Speckled white/gray.

Help! I have dark cherry bathroom cabinets, white 12 inch tile flooring, with inset of 2 inch teal green tile. I want to update with new counters and vessel sinks. What color counters would work with this flooring? Thanks.

By Conn from Sarasota, FL

Answers

Why not a counter top company and look at the samples they have available. You can take in a sample of your flooring and a door from the cabinets and matchwith there sample material. They will also let you take home some of the samples for you to match in your kitchen. I am redoing my counter tops and the counter top guys klet me take home a bunch of sample pieces to look at. From that I selected the counter top material and color of my new counter tops.

I'm thinking something with teal in it; or a paler teal with a rich deep terra cotta (i.e. specks of one or the other color).

What color is the main part of the tile? I am thinking teal, either a shade lighter or darker than the floor tile accent.

I need a blue for my kitchen counters. Not so dark that it looks black at night, but not light. We really like quartz. We are looking for that blue and yellow French look. The walls are yellow and the cabinets are white with blue flowers.

By Debbie from Berwyn, PA

Answers

I googled "quartz countertops" and found a number with blue samples. You could check them out, find something you like, find out where they are available in your area, and go look.

I think quartz is ideal because it gives you some color variation that will add texture. I would go for a middle of the road, leaning toward lighter blue.

I have a neighbor who just redid her kitchen. Although she used a granite, the colors in it were beautiful and unique. It had several shades of blue/green (light to medium) with flecks of a quartz-like blue/green. It looks almost like moving water. Maybe you could find something like it in blue (and in quartz),

We are looking into getting new kitchen cabinets and countertops. We cannot afford to redo the whole kitchen. We like our light color wood floors and white appliances are in good condition. The walls are a pale yellow. What color cabinets and counters would go with the rest of the kitchen we are not changing?

By Jennifer from Rochester, NY

Answers

Save money by replacing the fronts of your old cabinets.

You've got a real neutral paint color so you could almost go anywhere with it. Perhaps a sage or cranberry (if you want bold color) or a warm, honey on the cabinets. Have you considered painting the cabinets?

Here's one link that might help: http://www.oldh  n-cabinets.shtml

The cabinets we have now are pieces of junk. They have been painted several times already, are white now, and are falling apart. Whatever they are made of is cheap and starting to fall apart. So, refacing or replacing the fronts of the cabinets is out of the question. On top of that, we will be adding a few more cabinets where there is unused space in the kitchen. Attached is a pic of the kitchen where you can see the floor color and the wall color. I know you can't tell how bad the cabinets are by the pic but even when you open them the insides are starting to break down.
I like the idea of Honey cabinets. Would you suggest darker countertops then?

My kitchen has 8 inch dark forest green ceramic tiles that have a little black marbling and a very little grey in it. My problem is I want to replace the dark green marble look countertop. I am so done with it. My cupboards are white, appliances white, and walls a light grey. Can someone help me please?

By Joanne K.

What color counter tops would go good with apple green walls and medium maple cabinets?

By Wendy from Cleveland, TN

Answers

If you have a computer, search "green walls in kitchen". Hit "images" and it will give you a multitude of pictures showing different green colors on the walls and what their countertops look like with them.

I think a pale yellow might look nice.

I have mocha maple cabinets and peach flower granite on the floor. What color granite counter top can I use with this combo?

By Sini from NY

Answers

You will want something that contrasts with the cabinets, go a few shades lighter or darker.

I have black appliances with oak cabinets and we want to replace counter tops what color and style would be the best?

I would like to cosmetically add to my kitchen. We are not painting cupboards or changing the floor. We have black appliances and I would like to keep the room fresh. I am willing to look at quartz with an undermount sink. I have primed the frames around the new windows and patio door. I would like to paint the room BM "abalone" and the accent walls "silver fox". What do you suggest for the counter? We have 64 square feet and I want to be certain of the choice.

I am moving to a new town, and have decided to do child care in our new home so that I can stay home with my own 2 young children. I am looking for catchy names. It doesn't necessarily need to contain something with all of the following, but here are some facts -

My name is Ashley
We are a family of 4
I am going to help educate kids
We are moving into a brand new house
We are moving to a smaller farm town

I have yellow walls, a red, blue and yellow plaid valence with white sink and white tiles. What color Cambria counter top should I get?

My cabinets are beige. I'm looking for colours for my countertops and floor. Grey floor comes to mind, and mulling over black, dotted brown, or maroon top. I can't seem to see this combination in pictures on the internet.
Thank you.

By Katherine from Malaysia

I have a yellow kitchen with oak cabinets, wood floors and trim. I recently purchased stainless steel appliances and am now hoping to get new countertops and backsplash. What shade of countertops and back splash should I be looking at? The lighting in my kitchen is a Tiffany style ( not Tiffany brand.. ;0) ) lighting with pieces of colored glass, such as reds, blues, greens, and yellow. I like the idea of a glass tile backsplash or the tin. The countertop shade also has me stumped. Help?

By Josie W.

Answers

I am a little confused as to why you purchased stainless appliances with the style of kitchen you have. If you could give your thinking it would be easier to see what you hoped to accomplish decor wise. They seem a bit conflicted. What color are your counters now? Maybe you need to change the color of your walls instead, perhaps even with a wall paper style that would tie all this together.

I have white cabinets, dark kitchen, and wood flooring. What color Silestone should I choose for the countertops?

By Maxine

Answers

Probably a color in between the dark and light would look the best. The white and I presume you meant dark applances would be cold looking so a warm color might be more appealing. Pick your favorite color and work lighter from there. Kitchen counters are something you will be looking at most of the time, so it must be a color you can live with.

I have a mocha glaze kitchen cabinets. I am trying to choose a granite counter top. I need to decide between black galaxy and verde butterfly a dark green. My floor and back splash are both beige. I would also like some ideas for wall paint colors. Thank you.

By Fadia from Leonia, NJ

Answers

I think I would go with the verde butterfly to give you a little color. But the black would also look very nice. I think either color would give you lots of options to add color to your kitchen in wall art, window treatments, etc. Your accent color(s) could be any color with either granite or change with the seasons. You could have yellow or orange placemats, tablecloth, towels, etc. for fall, red for the holidays. We recently chose a yellow granite for our countertops. They haven't been installed yet. I don't think I helped much to answer your question, but maybe gave you some food for thought. Good luck with your project.

I want to paint my kitchen red. I have merlot cabinets and want to bring orange into the color scheme (curtains, etc.). What color should my countertop be?

By FrenchLil from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Go to a counter top color display and collect color sample chips. These will hep narrow down your choices. In my mind's eye. I would consider matching with your white or black countertop appliances. I would make the argument to use similar colors to keep the effect of the dominant reds by using a single complementary color contrast for your countertops.

I have oak cupboards and a blue and beige floor. I am having a hard time deciding on what color to chose for the the walls and countertops.

By Deb

My walls are celery root green with antiqued sage green cabinets. My floor is ceramic tile called ulah sand. I will be using an old timey cast iron sink that is an almond color. What color tile should I use on the countertops?

By Vicki

I have orange walls, white cabinets, and cream floors. I would appreciate your suggestion on what color countertop I should get.
Thank you.

By Carmen

We have medium oak cupboards. The kitchen faces north so less light. There are white appliances. Kitchen, dining, and living room are all in one. Parquet flooring and darker raspberry carpet. What color arborite do you suggest?

By Carol

I am remodeling my kitchen (DYI). My cabinets are distressed antique white with brushed nickel knobs, my floor is light grey tile, my 10' walls are painted a very light grey (almost a white with a hint of grey), my backsplash is dark grey tile. My appliances are black and/or stainless steel. I would like to replace my plain white countertops. What color should I be looking for?

By Paula C. from Pittsburgh, PA

My new cabinets are maple wood with a traditional cherry stain. What colour would you suggest for my countertop, backsplash, and wall colour? My floor is a light wood. I would like a bright kitchen.

By Lorna

I have cappuccino colored cupboards, the flooring is a medium brown laminate with light brown grooves going threw, and my walls are a light brownish color with a burnt orange accent. I need to know what color quartz countertops to get.

By Betty

What color countertop would go best with cherry cabinets, white appliances, and gray marble like floor?

By Barb from Burbank, IL

Choosing a Countertop Color

Here is a picture of my new kitchen cupboards, red oak--stained and shiny finish. The back wall tiles are white, the sink will also be white. The floor is yet to be chosen as well as the paint. Which of these two countertops is best? The darker rough finish with specks of same color as the cupboards and contrast to the wall tiles and sink, OR the lighter one with specks of white to match the wall and sink but contrast the cupboards? Please help as we need to decide today--awaiting our order! Thanks so much!

Anna from Montreal, Canada

Answers:

Choosing a Countertop Color

The beige. (06/14/2007)

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the dark counter but it may clash too much with the white sink and appliances. (06/15/2007)

By Carol

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the darker one best. (06/15/2007)

By Jean

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the lighter one. I think that a kitchen should have a light and airy feeling. (06/15/2007)

By Judi

Choosing a Countertop Color

I'd pick the dark one - I had a kitchen with almost the exact countertop, with oak cabinets. I painted the walls a reddish/burgundy color. It was very rich looking. (06/15/2007)

By Elizabeth

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the darker shade. I recently totally remodeled my kitchen (because of Hurricane Rita damage) and used light oak cabinets, darker veined countertop, tannish/yellow paint, and Du Pont hickory sand plank laminate floors. (I have black appliances). Love the look! (06/15/2007)

By M Dearmon

Choosing a Countertop Color

The dark. And I would paint the walls a burgundy color. Good luck. (06/15/2007)

By sherri

Choosing a Countertop Color

I'm too practical and health conscious to go with a darker color. I'd want whatever I could bleach and keep spotless. The darker is in style now, but will likely hide what should be cleaned away. Good luck and God bless you. : ) (06/16/2007)

By Lynda

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the lighter color, especially if your kitchen is small like mine. God bless you! (06/16/2007)

By tedsmom

Choosing a Countertop Color

I strongly prefer the darker shade because it contrasts with the white tiling in your backsplash. I like a light kitchen, but I think too much white can make it look clinical and cold, like a hospital. I feel the beige will give it a warm, inviting appearance.

Best of luck. (06/16/2007)

By Carol in PA

Choosing a Countertop Color

I think the darker one is more of the "safe" choice. HOWEVER, I am a fan for light colors. I live in Alaska and always choose light over dark, since we have so MUCH dark. So I would go with the green, it would give me pleasure to see the pretty color each morning. I think either goes fine with the tile and wood. Good luck! You new kitchen will be pretty either way. (06/17/2007)

By kelly

Choosing a Countertop Color

The lighter color. The dark counter makes the kitchen too drab. (06/17/2007)

By Lily May

Choosing a Countertop Color

I'd choose the darker one because the lighter one would show stains, like coffee or tea. (06/18/2007)

By Connie from Canada

Choosing a Countertop Color

General rule for cabinets/counters - if your cabinets are dark, use a light color for the counter, and if your cabinets are light, use a dark color. You need the contrast. Check out the kitchen displays in your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or whatever you have nearby for a better idea of how colors look together. It's hard to tell from those little samples, so seeing it all complete can be very helpful. (06/18/2007)

By Beth

Choosing a Countertop Color

Dark will show dust! Keep it neutral colors. Your tile is where you can get fancy. (02/22/2008)

By Kathy

Choosing a Countertop Color

Your two choices are somewhat extreme alternatives--maybe something in between? I am in a similar spot and am finding myself looking for the in-between that doesn't blend in too much. I am installing hickory cabinets--wild grain patterns--so I want something very low key pattern-wise. The floor is fairly light. I think I will go for something about the tone of the darker areas of the cabinet wood. (05/24/2008)

By Hobart

Two of my walls are painted a rattan color and two are whipped cocoa. My cupboards are oak. What color countertop would look good?

By Doris from Ottawa, Canada

I would like advice on counter top and wall color for my kitchen. The cabinets are cognac, appliances and wood trim are cream (bisque). The floor and back-splash are Terra Cotta. Most of my house has cream through gold walls. I am considering black granite with cream and Terra Cotta colored marbling. Thanks.

By Valerie from Monroe, LA

Answers:

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

Grey or sage might be better. Black may be too much contrast. (11/02/2009)

By perfume and powder

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

A creamy yellow would go nice! (11/02/2009)

By av8rs3

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

Mostly anything will go with your neutral kitchen. The basic rule of decorating is to always go with a neutral color for things that are expensive or hard to change out (like large ticket furniture, flooring, cabinets and counter tops). Then give the room some punch with colors in the way of paint, throw pillows, rugs and doodads (things that are less costly and are easily switched out when you tire of the color or style). I would look for a black granite that has copper colored swirls, specks or veining in it. The copper flecks will match the tera-cotta without being to "way-out." Also, if you have stainless appliances, see if you can find a black granite that also has some silver flecks in it too. Everyone is going with stainless appliances these days, but I like black appliances with black granite.

Pick another color you that you really love to paint the walls. I'd go with green, any shade of green would go wonderfully with the terra-cotta. I, myself consider Green to be a neutral in a way, because it goes with pretty much anything because it's in everything in nature (grass, flower leaves and stems, trees, moss, etc, etc.) I'm getting the idea that you like to play it safe when it comes to color and green walls would be a way to give your room just a little bit of punch without going too crazy. Think, golden sage, light or medium olive or even hunter (dark blue green) or dark olive if you're looking for a deeper color. If you need sunshine, think maize, mustard, or a med beige with lots of gold in it.

For trim, white would be okay or a darker or lighter version of one of the other colors you mentioned. Add some punch to your room with a colorful kitchen rug, canisters, planters, a painting or print. These things are easy to change when you tire of the color scheme but will give the room lots of pizazz!

*And by the way, what color is "Cognac?" (11/02/2009)

By Cyinda

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

I think you are right on target with choosing the black granite countertops with the marbling you've described. Every room needs a touch of black. It will help balance out the cream you have there. (11/05/2009)

By Carol in PA

Color Advice for Kitchen Counter Tops

I like the black countertop, but would go with a sage green for the walls. Warm and inviting and it adds a different color to the room. (11/06/2009)

By Allison5

I am changing countertops in my kitchen. The cabinets and oak floor are stained pecan color. Kitchen is medium in size. What is the best color of laminate counter tops to use?

We have maple cabinets with a light finish and bamboo floors in our kitchen. What kind of countertops should I buy? Also, what color would look the best with light cabinets and floors?

Load More