Choosing a Countertop Color

My kitchen has 8 inch dark forest green ceramic tiles that have a little black marbling and a very little grey in it. My problem is I want to replace the dark green marble look countertop. I am so done with it. My cupboards are white, appliances white, and walls a light grey. Can someone help me please?

By Joanne K.

Try a marbling that is mostly grey and white with a little green.

A new countertop would be the simplest way to go, lots of kitchen specialists will come in, take the old counter top off and install a new one in whatever colour you like.

A cheaper solution would be to remove ceramic tiles, sand/grind down the base and apply a different material over it -- such as arborite or some of the other new plastics. Getting it to stick can be difficult. It is usually best to add on another substrate- such 1/2 inch construction grade ply (with water resistant glue), and fill any dimples and apply the new material on top.

If the counter has a corner, I would get a specific contractor to come in, for a super job, one you'll be happy with for a long time. Will cost more, but satisfaction will last a lot longer (decade or more) than the happiness of saving a few dollars (usually a few days or weeks).