Cradle Cap Remedies

Babies often have a flaky skin condition known as cradle cap on their scalp. There are a number of home remedies you can use to treat cradle cap. This is a guide about cradle cap remedies.

Instead of using baby oil on your baby's head for cradle cap, try using virgin organic coconut oil instead. As a natural product, coconut oil is much better for the skin than the chemical-laden lotions and oils most people slather on their children. If you don't care for the light coconut scent, just plain organic coconut oil may be used. You can find coconut oil in the health food store and some grocery stores.

By Wendopolis from Galesburg, IL

I have also used olive oil which worked well. I let it sit for a few minutes, combed hair, and washed it all out.

Olive oil is also great for the skin and helps with cradle cap. Simply massage a small amount of oil into the baby's scalp. Do this a couple times a day. I hope this helps.

I always washed my babies' heads with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and never had the problem of Cradle cap, ever. It could be that oils naturally occur on their heads & needs to be gently cleaned off.

My son had cradle cap until the day before his first birthday. The doctor kept telling me it would go away on its own. Well, I had had it by the time he was almost one so I found this home remedy. Rub baby oil or olive oil into the baby's scalp an hour before washing (I only did it a few minutes before). Use a soft toothbrush to gently rub in circles over the scales. They came right up and haven't reoccurred!

By Deanna

Editor's Note: These sites have more information about Cradle Cap.

DrGreene.com - Cradle Cap
http://www.drgreene.com/21_1062.html

BabyCentre.co.uk - Cradle Cap
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/80.html

Medem - Treatment and Preventing Cradle Cap
http://www.medem.com/MedLB/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZ0IP6DEEC&sub_cat=25

cradle cap is just a build up of dead skin on the scalp of infants .. katie's method is the best I've found for cradle cap .. it works wonderfully.

It's best to be VERY careful using baby oil .. it can be inhaled by the baby and coats the lungs .. very dangerous.

Rebekah