Craft Ideas for Used Medicine or Pill Bottles

Category Containers
Rather than throwing them away or into the recycle bin, you can make many creative projects using medicine or pill bottles. This is a guide about craft ideas for used medicine or pill bottles.

Three medicine bottle carolers.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Get creative with empty medicine bottles and make as many of these cute carolers as you like. This is a guide about how to make medicine bottle carolers.

Making a Pill Bottle First Aid Kit

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 7

This is a guide about making a pill bottle first aid kit. Having a mini first aid kit in your purse or backpack can come in handy.

Making a Pill Bottle Hide-a-Key

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

This is a guide about making a pill bottle hide-a-key. It is easy to have a weather proof hidden key outside your home to make sure you can always get inside.

Making Pill Bottle Pumpkins

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making pill bottle pumpkins. Recycle your empty prescription bottles into these cute treat holders.

I really hate seeing the medicine bottles from Target go to waste and would like to know what they can be used for other than keeping screws or such in them. What have others done or might think to do with these? It's such a waste and I figure since the holidays are coming up that it would be fun to create some kind of project with them.

By Beth

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

If you have the proper tool to punch a small hole in assorted types of plastic you could make some nice wind chimes by punching a hole in the bottom of the bottle and stringing them chime style. The different sizes and types of plastics of the bottles would make a nice delicate melody in the wind and you could decorate them with paint made for plastics :-)

Anonymous

You don't need a special too. Just heat up a pin tip and apply to the plastic. You will probably have to do this a couple times, but the plastic meltls. You can also heat up a small metal screwdriver if you need a bigger hole.

I collect empty pill bottles and make bubble blowing containers out of them. I make a blower out of plastic canvas and hot glue the blower to the inside of the lid.

I would love to hear your ideas for pill bottles. My house is being overrun with them, ehhh!

I have an abundance of empty prescription bottles. Does anyone have any ideas for craft projects using these bottles? Does anyone have other suggestions on how to use empty prescription bottles? I just hate throwing them away.

By Squishy

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Here is a suggestion. Fill the bottle with water and freeze them. They can be use as ice paks for little hands. the school where I work use them for scraps, bumps and bruises.

Try to see what they look light with a light inside them. If it looks good buy a led garland and put a led in each bottle.

They are great for storing small crafting items like straight pins, seed beads, etc.

I have made spice racks with the larger pill bottles for spice containers. They make great Christmas gifts.

Currently I take many medications and have leftover bottles. I would like to make a prescription bottle wreaths and deck lights. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make these crafty ideas?

Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Does anyone know of a way to use the brown pill bottles as an arts and crafts project?

Theresa from Hibbing, MN

I bought an xacto knife set.2 handles&5 different blades.I had a pill bottle tall enough.In the bottom I put in 2 cotton balls.As I said in another post,I invested in a hand held label maker...I label every thing...Keeper

Place pill bottles on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven - you have to watch them as they start to become soft. You don't want them too soft to the point of becoming "mushy". Remove them from the oven when they are pliable and either shape them the way you want or leave them the way they come out of the oven. They cool down rapidly. They usually come out different shapes when you use different size bottles. My mother used to do this but I can't remember what oven temperature she used. I can't ask her because she passed away a couple years ago. After they cooled down she would fill them with different colored sand making a rainbow in the bottle. In the top of the bottle she would place the stems of a few minature flowers (purchased from craft store) in the sand and then seal that with a small amount of hot wax. They looked like little vases with flowers. You can also take these bottles of different shapes and sizes, punch holes in the bottom while still soft then string fish line thru them and paint or otherwise decorate them making them like hanging chimes!

A craft I have bought locally is a "cheer-up/get well soon" bottle which is filled in this manner...

1. Put a sticker on the top of the bottle (lid). A smiley face works well.

2. Print a Label that says something like "God's prescription for cheer."

Instructions would be to "read a note inside for instant cheer."

3. Put that label on the side of the bottle.

4. Take verses from the Bible, especially the ones in Proverbs, and print those on cardstock. Cut these apart, and put about 8 to 12 of these in each bottle.

I can not give you a source of the lady who does this craft. But she is from North Carolina, and sets up at a crafts show near me every year. I am not sure if it is her original idea or not, but it really does sell well at $1.25/each bottle.

Use a "locking" bottle to give batteries with toys.

I am trying to come up with "crafty" ways to make something out of medicine bottles and margarine containers (other than using them to store things in, etc., an actual object). Any suggestions?

By DEB from Fulton, NY

I remember my grandmother had a margarine tub "doll" when I was a kid. She kept buttons in there. It was a crocheted skirt with ruffle edging around the tub. The lid had an actual barbie doll's upper torso attached and a crocheted dress that draped over, so when the lid was on it looked like a girl with one of those old period gowns on. As for medicine bottles, I've been wondering what to do with them myself!

Cover the bottles with "Sculpey" or "Fimo" polymer clay designs. I have found that the plastic bottles and lids will come through the 275 degree baking process just fine. I sold a lot of these bottles a few years ago to people who wanted them for pill containers.

I use washed out margarine tubs for the following :-

To store my seeds that I collect in eg runner beans, sunflower

To keep left over foods in the fridge, eg baked beans,

To fill with soil and start off my seeds in them on the window sill

To use as 'saucers' to hold my small plant pots

Anonymous

Empty pill bottles: store q-tips for travel; store jewelry for travel; loose coins for the car console; art school teachers/kindergarten use them; paint the top of the pill bottle-then glue a small flower or beads to the top - put a pretty pair of earrings into the pill bottle as a gift; a paper gift certificate in the bottle; carry band aids in the bottle; paper clips.