Crafts Using Gourds

Gourds are great to use for craft projects, there are so many possibilities. This is a guide about crafts using gourds.

Crafts using gourds
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 20, 2008 Flag

I saved the gourds from my garden and hot glued them to an old vine wreath and added some ribbon and a poem. November Blessings to you all!

gourd wreath on door

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 6, 2012 Flag

gourd 3The kids are always asking us to buy those funky decorative gourds at the grocery store in the fall. I usually say no, but last year I gave in and let them each pick one. They were initially annoyed that I wouldn't let them try to carve them, but I challenged them to find a different way to decorate them.

I was happily surprised at the end result. They used construction paper, as well as a few items that they had in their rooms. They turned out really well and lasted a long time since the kids just used tape to adhere everything, leaving the skin intact. gourd 1 gourd 2

January 8, 2008 Flag

We do a lot of painted gourds. We sell quite a few. We grew these gourds and then cleaned and painted them. Gourd painted as a person. Birdhouse painted gourd. Another birdhouse. Multiple gourds.

October 3, 2005 Flag

I am a crafter wanna be but have a lack of imagination, so I need pictures of other peoples crafts to get me started. I have a lot of old barn wood and can't get any ideas on what to do with it. The same with gourds as I find I am not the greatest painter. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Paulette

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I will take your barn wood if you still have it. I have uses for it.

I'm a gourd grower and crafter. I love to paint and make thing with gourds. Just draw something on them and paint away. That is after ya clean them. You'll have a ball and believe me people will buy them.

I fell in love with gourds and mainly make purses out of them. I paint, wood burn and just polish them with shoe polish. the challenge is finding fasteners for the closures. i k stackhouse @ yahoo

Down here in TX, where I live, people make all kinds of stuff out of old wood. The stuff I like the most is furniture. I saw a whole bedroom suite made out of it for a young boy and decorated western. And then there are corner shelves and other shelves also. People make the tops of the shelves look like old picket fencing running around the back and sides. Of course they also use old fencing materials to build with. Also benches with a seat that opens up for storage. Bookoos of ideas!

Read More Answers...

October 6, 2009 Flag

gourd with handleI enjoy raising and decorating gourds. The one here is one of my favorites. It only required tan leather dye, a skill saw with a fine blade and a drill and bit along with a little sandpaper and leather lacing.

Source: I have looked through many, many books and magazines for my ideas, but nothing I do is copied exactly.

By Irisbird from Lillington, NC

November 21, 2007 Flag

Does anyone grow gourds? I am looking for some kettle gourds or other large type gourds. I paint and craft these and I am running out of my favorites. I have plenty of the apple gourds and others that I paint. I love to make birdhouses as well as other crafts from gourd. Please contact me if you have any gourds!

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Kathy from Beattyville, KY

Editors Note: Here is a ThriftyFun article if you would like to know more about growing gourds yourself:

Try this link- there are growers listed as well as state societies where you may come in contact with other artists near you. http://www.americangourdsociety.org/

Here is a website where you can order boxes of dried gourds.

http://www.welburngourdfarm.com/ind ... p?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3

I started growing my own about 2yrs ago, but before that I bought them on e-bay. You might also check online for your state's gourd society. The Tx State Gourd Society gives links to local growers as well as festivals and they always have plenty to sell.

I have gourds if you are interested, they are almost ready for harvest, I can ship them to you, as soon as my daddy gathers them. You may call me 910-452--2917 or I can call you or email. I would be glad to send them to you. Also have the long leaf pine cones 4 to 8 inches. I was asking 50 cent for the small and 1.00 for the 8 in. They are pretty. Thanks, Janet Wilmington, NC

Read More Answers...

July 29, 2008 Flag
Gourd painted and decorated to look like Betty Boop.

Supplies

• dried gourd
  • Tacky glue
  • black yarn
  • paint for face and dress
  • red and white boas
  • spray sealer

Instructions

1. Scrub the gourd good and let dry about 45 minutes.
  2. Paint on face and hair and let dry about 15 minutes.
  3. Paint on dress and let dry about 15 minutes.
    I get hats from craft store and glue a red boa on them then fit to the head. (I use tacky glue.) I use black yarn for more hair and better fit for the hat, just mess with it a little.
  4. Glue white boa around neck.
  5. Spray with clear sealer.

By Sheri from Stockton

May 14, 2008 Flag

Gourds painted to look like farmers.The little farmers are gourds, painted in the colors you want. You can get both straw hats or you can crochet them, whichever you like. The hay bale is Styrofoam covered with raffia and I put craft wire for looks. I used the balls that fall out of oak trees, painted them to look like pumpkins, got a couple black birds and glued them on and came out with a pretty neat set.

By Sheri from Stockton, CA

August 12, 2008 Flag

1 clean round gourd, glue, cotton balls or cotton fiber fill of any color, 1 large Christmas bell, acrylic paint, acrylic sealer, spray at least 2 times for good coverage.

A snowman gourd ornament.

October 16, 2008 Flag

Gourds from your garden can make cute crafts. I used doll hair and regular acrylic paint for my "Breast Cancer Buddy". My daughter, Eryn, came up with the film canister idea for a craft show.

Green gourd person

Crafts NatureSeptember 12, 2012
Ornamental Gourds
Preserving Ornamental Gourds
Snowman Gourds
Making Snowman Gourds
Growing Gourds
Growing Gourds
Painting Gourds
Crafts Made With Gourds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 7:26:24 PM on 10.0.0.81 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.