Crocheted Blue Jeans Rug

Those worn out denim pants can be reused to create a rug. This guide is about crocheted blue jeans rug.

June 24, 2010 Flag

Oval recycled jeans rug.This rug is made from about ten pairs of old, worn denim blue jeans in various shades of blue.

Approximate Time: 3 days

1. Launder the old jeans, then cut seams out of each leg. Cut each leg into a continuous 2 inch strip.
  2. Sew each continuous strip together with the sewing machine and wind into balls of the same color.
  3. Separate light colors from darker colors, having different fabric balls to work with.
  4. To begin the rug, I crochet about 20 chain stitches, and turn, doing either a double or half-double crochet stitch, working and turning the rug each round until it is the desired size I want.
  5. Add each separate color of fabric as necessary. When adding a new color, make sure you machine stitch the strips together to join. Otherwise, the stitch will unravel.
  6. When the rug is finished, tuck the end piece into a stitch and sew in place.

This rug is best handwashed and does stand up to use. It doesn't do well in machine washing, so I soak it in the bathtub and drip dry. I used regular jeans for this rug, but the stretch denim jeans will work as well. Other colors of jeans can be used of your choice.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Great idea and recycling project too.

Lovely effect with all the different shades of blue would look great in a bathroom that was using a seaside theme.

I thought it was store bought until I read what you wrote.

Good job,

January 26, 2010 Flag

How do I make a denim rag rug? Is there a special tool to roll the material? If not, how do you keep the cut edges from showing? How wide would I cut the strips, etc.? Please advise. Thanks very much.

By Helen from Kamloops, B.C. CANADA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It has been ages since I braided a rug, but will try to help. The width of the strips depends on the thickness of the braid/rug you desire. The strips, if they are folded inside like bias tape, will not have any raw edges.

You will want the strips wide enough to make a rather plump braid or you will be forever getting it sewn together. Sew the strips end to end at a diagonal and don't have all three strips ending at the same place so the braid will continue smoothly.

You can also just overlap the strip before it is folded and you can braid right on. Again, don't have the ends all at the same place or it will be a little weak at that point.

Good luck.

January 14, 2005 Flag

I would like a pattern of a woven square or rectangular rug made from blue-jeans. Thanks

Jeanne-Marie de Moissac

have you tried making a braided rug? I do a lot of things with discarded jeans. you may contact me at

did you find a pattern for a rug? I have looked everywhere. if you did please contact me at

Crafts Recycled Crafts DecorJanuary 17, 2013
Blue Jeans
Keeping Blue Jeans Looking Like New
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Blue Jeans Quilt Ideas
Blue Jeans Quilt Ideas
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans