Making Coasters and Pot Holders From Jeans

Category Other
Denim fabric is so durable that recycling old jeans into new items is a popular craft. Try making pot holders or coasters for yourself and to give as gifts. This is a guide about making coasters and pot holders from jeans.

I cut up old jeans and make coasters and/or pot holders. I make four - 4 1/2 inch squares of the jeans, and one - 4 inch square of any cotton material, then sew around the square and sew from corner to corner so it has a big X through it.

Then I cut small slits on each side and then wet and put in dryer to make the jeans fray. I give as gifts, as a 4 pack of coasters. NFL and college team materials are a great hit! When making pot holders, I cut the squares 8 inches.

By Janelle R. from Waterloo, IA

I love denim projects and a need coasters. Thanks for sharing!

I love this but I don't understand the directions for it! Don't understand 4 blue jean squares and 1 regular square.

I think it means 1 to go in the middle of the other squares :)

I think maybe the four squares would be for the thickness and the 1 regular as a decorative cover.