Crocheted Pot Scrubber

I would like to have the instructions on how to make knitted or crocheted pot scrubbers. What material is used to make them? It's not a wool and seems rougher then a Phentex yarn. It has a kind of shine to it. Thanks.

By GailDarlene from Toronto, Ontario

Crochet Pot Scrubber

How to Crochet a Nylon Net Scrubbie - Tutorial and Pattern!

Crochet Pot Scrubber

The scrubbies are made from 1/2 yard of the roughest nylon net (not soft tulle or soft feeling net) that you can find. I usually buy several yards at a time.

Cut each 1/2 yard into 3 inch strips and tie in a knot each of the 6 strips together to make one long piece. I use my rotary cutter and the cutting goes fast.

Using K hook, chain 4, sc in beginning chain and then add another to the same chain. Continue to do 2 sc in each stitch until you have used 2 strips, then 1 sc in each stitch through strips 3,4,5, and first 4 stitches of strip 6. At this point, turn the scrubbie inside out with all the knots and tails on the inside. Begin to decrease by 1 sc in every other stitch until the hole closes up. Then chain 2, tuck the tail inside the remaining hole.

This is not much of a pattern. It takes about 20 minutes to do one after you get used to them. They will make your fingers a little rough feeling until you get them toughened up. (02/07/2009)

By Naomi

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

I fell in love with plastic yarn for making my scrubbies and dishcloths with a scrubby in the center.

Plastic yarn is made from grocery bags, bread bags, etc. Refold your bag to it's natural state, cut off the handles and sealed bottom. Unfold the bag and smooth it out. Draw a 1/2" line along one uncut edge. Make 1" marks along the other edge.

Cut (a rotary cutter, ruler and mat work fantastically) across the bag to the mark on the other side. Continue doing this down the length of the bag. When you've finished cutting, lift the bag up at the top and bottom along the uncut edge. Set down on a smooth surface with the uncut portion in the center. Using scissors begin cutting diagonally across the uncut area from the edge of one strip to the edge of the next strip. *As the strips are cut you will see a string of cut plastic unfold. Roll into a ball and use as you would any other yarn.

Knit or crochet with any pattern you choose to make your scrubby. I use a basic circular pattern, after starting with a ch 5 for the beginning. Making it as large a piece as I want but keeping it around 4 - 5". Most times I use a hdc stitch for my scrubbies and generally use an around the post stitch every other round/row to give it a little more rough texture.

Oh, when rolling the ball I try to sprinkle some talc powder on the pile of plastic. Seems to make it work better when I'm crocheting. (05/30/2009)

By pauprint

RE: Crocheted Pot Scrubber

Crochet Pot Scrubber
Making a Crochet Pot Scrubber
coffee lid dish scrubber
Homemade Dish Scrubber Ideas
Homemade Pot Scourer
Making a Homemade Pot Scourer
Stainless Steel Scrubber
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Scrubber
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap