Making a Crochet Pot Scrubber

Category Ideas
In addition to making pot scrubbers from nylon mesh you can also crochet them using other materials. This is a guide about making a crochet pot scrubber.

Buy 100% polyester yarn or use your acrylic yarn scraps. You will be making an enclosed "pillow case" out of the polyester yarn. Start by crocheting a chain that's about 3 inches long. Next, single crochet in the back side of your chain then continue around the other side of the same chain. Keep crocheting all the way around to your starting point and don't stop. You are working "in the round", in a spiral fashion.

When you've crocheted a rectangle that resembles a tiny pillow case, insert several of your used slivers of soap and slip them into this little pouch you've made. Finish it up by crocheting the top closed then crochet on a short loop for hanging it up to dry or crochet a longer chain several feet long to hang it up in the shower.

NOTE: Polyester yarn is great for exfoliating your body or scrubbing pots and pans while cotton yarn is soft and more like a wash cloth but it takes a long time to dry. This can also be made with thin hemp rope or nylon rope from the hardware store! You can also crochet this around a new bar of soap if you don't have any tiny silvers of soap saved up.

Cyinda

I crocheted a pot scrubber. I did not like the yarn I had, so I made this. It turned out so pretty, I almost didn't use it with the dishes at all. It makes me think of doing one in the shape of a cross for a bookmark. I am not an expert at crocheting, but I started out wanting it to be square. :)

By Robin F. from TN

Does anyone know of a way to make a pot scourer or scrubber that will last? I'm tired of buying reversible sponges that I have to throw away after a week. I have seen some instructions for making one out of nylon yarn, but I've misplaced them. Thank you in anticipation!

Virginia from Canberra, Australia

Answers

Once on a cleaning tv show they said to use a crumpled piece of aluminum foil if you didn't have any brillo pads. I don't have any ideas about ones that wouldn't scratch though.

You can use the nylon net type bags that onions, potatoes, etc come in from the grocery store. Just tie them together to make a ball. Also I have used stiff type nylon net cut in 1 1/2 inch strips to crochet a square pad that I use for scouring pans as well as to scrub vegetables.

I don't have instructions for a scrub pad but to make your scrub pad last longer use a baking soda paste to get the stubborn baked on particles or grease off. Baking soda is abrasive enough to get stuff off without scratching or damaging.

We used to make kitchen wash cloths out of old yarn. Just get a crochet pattern. You can use almost any kind of yarn, but I like the cotton yarn best for doing my dishes.

They can scrub anything and they rinse nicely and dry quickly because of the loose weave. No smelly sponge in your sink!!!

Am writing in reference to the scrubbers. Go to either of these two sites and look under Kitchen Crochet or Kitchen Miscellaneous to find what you need:
http://www.croc  tterncentral.com
http://www.knit  tterncentral.com
Both are wonderful sites to find nearly anything you may be searching for IF you knit or crochet! Hope this helps.

I would like instructions for making nylon net scrubbies.

By Madelyn

Answers

Type in "free crochet patterns" on the internet and see what you come up with. I used to be a member of a site that had free patterns, but I don't remember what it was called.

Try:
www.allfreecrochet.com
www.bestfreecrochet.com
www.crochetnmore.com
www.favecrafts.com
www.crochetmemories.com

Also, any of the web sites for the yarn companies (Lion Brand; Red Heart; Caron; etc.) usually have free patterns. And as "thriftyvicki" stated, just type in "free crochet patterns". You'll be surprised at what you get.

Good luck on your adventure! Linda.

Here is an easy pattern with pics and video.
http://noelwrig  ot-scrubber.html

I'm looking for a pattern for crocheted pot scrubbers made from tulle material.

By Carrie from Peru, NY

Answers:

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

If you don't like this pattern, use the Find link on this website and type in your request. Also, lots of Archives at the bottom of this page.

cakesmix.blogspot.com" (06/16/2010)

By MCW

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

Here's another pattern:

crochetpatternsonly.blogspot.com (06/16/2010)

By didough

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

Use heavy duty nylon netting, not tulle. That will not hold up for one sink of dishes. (06/16/2010)

By T and T Grandma

Can someone please share with me instructions on crocheting pot scrubbers?

Answers:

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

View archives at bottom. There have been numerous requests for crocheted pot scrubbers. (05/10/2010)

By MCW

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

These are my two favorite patterns for a crocheted scrubbie. Neither are made using the nylon netting, but rather "needlepoint" yarn. I place them in the dishwasher to clean them and they last forever.

dishclothcorner.blogspot.com

jpfun.com

For a useful bridal shower gift I make a scrubbie, crochet dishcloth, kitchen towel, crochet hotpad and potholders, and included a bottle of dishsoap. (05/12/2010)

By Karen Sue

Once upon a time, I had no scrubber for my pots and skillets, so I put together a single crochet stitch square. I covered it with some old onion netting and tied it together with a small length of yarn and knotted it.

It actually works better than the brand I have been been using. The great thing is it is recycling and keeping the items from a landfill at least for a while.

I have also found potato netting makes a good scrubber. Aluminum foil balled up makes a good scrubber for metal things, but not for things that need a nylon scrubber only. I didn't have any foil at the time so that is why I made my own out of the onion netting and the crochet square.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

I bought a pot scrubber that was made from yarn and maybe nylon net. It is small, just right to hold in your hand. Does anyone have instructions as to how to make these pot scrubbers?

By Nancy B from Central City, KY

Answers:

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

The best yarn to use is polyester. But it's not very easy to find. Sometimes it's sold as "rug-yarn". It's what most people make the strong scrubbers from. This polyester yarn is kind of stiff and will last a long time. But the pot scrubbers I'm talking about are not made with nylon netting. These pads are basically just a flat pillow with no stuffing (2 sections) crocheted together around the edges.

I do lots of Christmas craft shows and have seen these polyester pads sold at several craft shows and have asked the crafters what type of yarn they use and they all said 100% polyester. They are crocheted using a simple single-crochet stitch in a rectangle or round shape. you make 2 that match then stack them and crochet them together around the edges. Sometimes people will put soap slivers in the center before crocheting them together.

I can't help you with a pattern for the ones made with netting, but I will say that if you are looking for a nice durable and long-lasting cord, go to a shop that sells fishing supplies and buy netting cord (the kind that is used to mend or make fishing nets). (02/18/2010)

By Cyinda

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

Try this link: http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/nylpot.html

It is just crocheting with a cotton yarn and strips of nylon held together. You can find a number of "scrubbies" patterns on the internet, but you can really do it with any pattern you like. Also try using hemp or jute. Get the smallest size you can find so it will dry easily and find a pattern you like. (02/19/2010)

By oldlinda

How do I make pot scrubbers using netting?

By toula

Answers:

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

I make mine by crocheting them in a circle. I just keep going round and round till it is the size I want. It will irritate your skin though. It is scratchy. (08/04/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

Have never made one but it seems to me you don't need to crochet them and that scrunching the netting up randomly in to a ball, making sure the edges are towards the inside of the ball, and then staple a time or two in the center or secure with a rubber band tightly in the center would work and it would be super easy.

Thanks for asking the question cause now I have a use for collected netting from gifts, etc. (08/06/2009)

By Deeli

Crocheted Pot Scrubber

crochetpatterncentral.com

This site has everything. (08/09/2009)

By HeyItsMeDom

I would like to have the instructions on how to make knitted or crocheted pot scrubbers. What material is used to make them? Thanks.

I crochet my own pot scrubbers but to keep them handy and dry, I have added a band on the one side.

I would like the pattern for crocheted nylon net pot scrubbies, starting out with a chain five.

Does anyone have a pattern for knitting kitchen "scrubbies" from tulle? These are awesome for removing bugs from your car bumper without scratching!