Making Crocheted Potholders

Crocheted potholders come in all shapes and sizes. This is a guide about crocheted potholders.

May 26, 2009 Flag

These potholders are thick and safe, so long as you crochet tight stitches. If you use a larger hook, you may get air spaces where the hot pan can burn your fingers. If a size H hook is too loose, get an F or G hook. We all crochet at different tensions. I have made many for gifts as well as for our home, and they always see lots of use. They look nice in a Christmas basket along with kitchen utensils, specialty foods and/or a little cookbook. You can use up scraps of color-compatible yarns as I did here, and they make an interesting pattern. I like the mixed colors better than a solid color.

Instructions

Using one strand of 4-ply knitting worsted such as Red Heart, and a size H crochet hook, chain 35. SC in second stitch from hook working tightly and SC in each stitch (33 stitches). Turn work and SC along the other side of the chain. Continue working around the piece SC in each stitch. You are working in rounds. Do not increase! At first it looks as if you are making a pocket.

After a few rounds, you will have a canoe-shaped piece. Make a total of 24-25 rounds. Press the ends toward the center, and you will see a diagonal pattern develop. The two sides should meet in the middle. If they do, and the result makes a square shape, cut the yarn leaving a 24-inch tail. Whipstitch the two sides together using a darning needle or feed sack needle with a flat tip. Anchor the first stitch by going back through it once. If you enter the stitches on the right, and then pick up the right side of the other row, your seam will look like part of the crocheting.

Make the hanging loop: At the other end, anchor the stitching again by taking an extra stitch in the right side of the corner, and pull the yarn through. Tie the tail end of the yarn back onto the rest of the yarn. Push your hook through the hot pad at the corner and pull a stitch through. Chain 10 stitches. Push hook through the hot pad at the left of the same corner and SC. Move over one stitch to the left and SC again. Now SC over the CH10 loop to cover, using 18 SC. Cover the ends of the knot. Make another SC in the potholder next to the first one and end off. Work in the loose end using a darning needle or feed sack needle.

Source: I copied one from an example a friend made, then made it bigger.

By coreenhart from Rupert, ID

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for the post and the feedbacks. I wil be making some of these. Just bought a few skeins of cotton yarn today too, so I am good to go! Pat in Roseville, MI

January 6, 2017 Flag

colorful crocheted coaster

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about kitchen crochet trio (magnet, coasters, and hotbeds). Get out your cotton yarn and make up some useful crochet kitchen items for yourself or to give as gifts.

January 4, 2017 Flag

Crochet Potholder

This is a guide about making a single crochet potholder. Even an novice crocheter who has just mastered the single crochet stitch can make a potholder.

November 20, 2008 Flag

I am looking for crocheted potholder patterns.

Judy from Traverse

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lots of patterns take your pick:

http://www.croc  tholders_etc.php

Just saw some cute (free) patterns on the Lion Brand Yarn website.

http://www.lion  o.x=0&Go.y=0

Thanks very much for sending me the web pages.

Just don't crochet these out of polyester yarn that melts. I bought some at a craft sale, and they melted when in contact with hot pans from the oven. Sort of defeated the purpose of potholders.

April 13, 2010 Flag

I am looking for crocheted pot holder instructions.

By SPittam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.croc  om/directory.php

I have to second the reply to go to crochetpatterncentral.com - it's a wonderful treasure trove of crochet patterns. For a wonderful, thick potholder try the "Magic Potholder" pattern. Easy, quick, double thick. I've made a lot of these with acrylic yarn and also cotton yarn. Both work well.

www.lionbrand.com and then go to 'all free patterns' you'll see free crochet patterns for the home.

December 30, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a crochet pattern for a hot pad using the rings from the top of pop cans. I have made them before but it has been a long time ago and I have forgotten how to lay them out to interlock.

Beth from Fort Deposit, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I could not find a hot pad; but this purse tutorial might jog your memory. One of the rounds might be extended for a hot pad?

http://www.craf  p?topic=235401.0

Plastic Pop Ring Potholder

Materials:

1 six-pack of pop rings cut apart into rings and trimmed into circles.

Knitting worsted yarn: Main color and contrast color.

G crochet hook

Potholder:

Using main color. Sc around each individual ring until full(do not force sts).(6 rings)

With contrasting color, ch 50 sts. Turn and skip 3 sts. Then dc in each remaining ch. End off.

Spread out rings and overlap the edges like a deck of cards spread out. (See first image)

Take the contrasting color strip and weave over and under the rings to weave together. When back to beginning, tie the strip to the beginning and arrange the rings so they look nice. (Takes a little pulling and twisting.)

Sc with contrasting color around the outside of the potholder to anchor the rings in place(See 2nd image).

Images

The rings are drawn in different colors to make them easier to see. The strip and contrasting color are drawn in blue.

Image #1

Image #2

you can also find it at the following website:

http://www.geoc  54/potholder.htm

Thanks trishaj, that is the one I was looking for. Jilson has also sent a great ideal. Love the purse made out of tabs. Ihave already started collecting the tabs.

October 29, 2008 Flag

Does any one have a crochet pattern of a dog and a pig Potholders and Hot Pads?

Judy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pig potholder: http://crochet.  kly/aa110197.htm

Perky Pig and Hot Dog on: http://www.free  com/sitemap.html

Perky pig and Puggy Wuggy on:

http://www.croc  tholders_etc.php

Hope one of these is what you are looking for:)

April 13, 2010 Flag

I am trying to locate instructions for crochet potholders.

By surfingranny from Madeira Beach, FL

Answers:

Instructions for Crocheted Potholders

Oh, I envy those that can crochet. I never got the hang of it.

I don't know what type you are looking for exactly, but these links have several different kinds on each:

crochetpatterncentral.com

jpfun.com

freevintagecrochet.com

crochetbox.com

momsloveofcrochet.com

If you are looking for more of a basic potholder try one of these:

grandmotherspatternbook.com

tamicraft.com (08/10/2009)

By Kaelle

Instructions for Crocheted Potholders

I posted a crocheted potholder that is super simple on this site. It is just chain and single crochet. If you have trouble with the pattern, let me know. thriftyfun.com

Tedebear (08/13/2009)

By Tedebear

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
A gift jar with ingredients for baking cookies.
Homemade Kitchen Gift Ideas
Crochet Craft Project Ideas, Close up of Woman Crocheting
Crochet Craft Project Ideas
Crafts Crochet PatternsFebruary 20, 2012
Making a Crocheted Itsy Bitsy Bow Teaser
Making a Crocheted Itsy Bitsy Bow
Crochet Potholder
Making a Single Crochet Potholder
colorful crocheted coaster
Kitchen Crochet Trio (Magnet, Coasters, and Hotpads)
Crochet Outfits for Polly Pocket Dolls
Crochet Outfits for Polly Pocket Dolls
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:48:45 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.