Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crocheted Purse Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
Crocheted Purse

Making a crochet purse is not only fun, but you will have a useful, one of a kind, item for yourself or to give as a gift. This is a guide about crocheted purse ideas.

Solutions: Crocheted Purse Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Crocheted Denim Purse

Blue denim crocheted purse.This is a denim purse with jute handles and a button closure. I crocheted a rectangle for a sample, since I wasn't sure the heavy weight denim would work for this project. Instead of starting over, I chose to make a purse with it.

Approximate Time: One afternoon

• sewing scissors
  • denim blue jeans
  • jute
  • sewing needle
  • yarn needle
  • large button
  • sewing machine
  • large crochet hook
  • elastic ponytail holder

Instructions:

Cut denim into 1 1/2 inch strips. I just used scraps I had from other projects, so the colors don't match exactly.

1. Sew ends together to have one continuous piece to work with. I did this by machine, but you can also do it by hand.
  2. Crochet a rectangle twice the size you want your purse to be tall. My purse ended up being 14 inches wide by 9 inches high.
  3. Sew the sides together.
  4. Crochet jute as wide as you would like your handles to be. I crocheted the jute about 1 1/2 inches wide until I liked the width for the purse.
  5. Sew the side seams with the sewing needle and fishing line. Attach the jute handles through a "hole" in the crocheted piece and tie a slip knot. Repeat until the handles are attached in a placement that satisfies you.
  6. For closure, attach a large button and an elastic loop for closure.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse

Do you ever find yourself hunting for quarters when you're out and about? I do! One of the grocery stores I shop at regularly requires that you insert a quarter into the shopping carts in order to use them. My kids love gumball/toy machines, but I never have change for them. And heaven forbid I need to park in front of a meter.

This is quick, fun, and will ensure that I always have a few quarters on hand. I am finding it very useful, hopefully you will too!:)

Approximate Time: About 20 minutesfinished crochet purse

• tiny amounts #4 worsted weight yarn
  • "h" crochet hook
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle for weaving in ends
  • button

1. Ch 8, 2 dc in the 4th ch from hook, 1 dc in each of the next 3 ch, 3 dc in the last ch. Now rotate your work so that you can crochet down the other side of your ch.
  2. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  3. 1 dc in each of the next 3 ch, join to the top of the ch 3.
  4. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  5. Ch 2, dc in the same space as your ch and each stitch around. Join to your first dc.
  6. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  7. Repeat the last row once.
  8. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  9. Slip stitch in the next 2 stitches, ch 2, dc in the next 5 stitches.
  10. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  11. Ch 2, turn, dc in the next 5 dc. Fasten off.
  12. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  13. Now for your handy little strap that will allow you to slip it onto your key ring. Join your yarn in the first stitch to the left of your flap. Ch 12.
  14. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  15. Join with a slip stitch to the opposing empty stitch directly next to the flap, end off.
  16. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  17. Sew a small button to the front of your tiny purse. This will just push through the flap and secure your quarters.
  18. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  19. See?
  20. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse
  21. I couldn't help thinking that this would make a cute Barbie doll purse too.
  22. Crochet Keychain Mini-Coin Purse

By melissa [135]

Ripple Crochet Purse

This pattern re-invents the old classic afghan ripple stitch to give you a useful shoulder-bag. Have fun! :)

Approximate Time: 5 hours?finished purse

• "H" crochet hook
  • approximately 360 yards total #4 worsted weight yarn
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle for weaving in ends

1. Ch 51.
  2. Ripple Crochet Purse
  3. 1 dc in the 4th ch from your hook and in the next 5 ch.
  4. Ripple Crochet Purse
  5. Dc, ch 2, dc in the next ch.
  6. Ripple Crochet Purse
  7. 1 dc in each of the next 7 ch.
  8. Ripple Crochet Purse
  9. * Skip 2 ch, 1 dc in each of the next 7 ch, dc, ch 2, dc in the next ch, 1 dc in each of the next 7 ch,* Repeat steps between ** until end of row.
  10. Ripple Crochet Purse
  11. Ch 3, turn, dc decrease over the next 2 stitches.
  12. Ripple Crochet Purse
  13. 1 dc in each of the next 5 stitches.
  14. Ripple Crochet Purse
  15. Dc, ch 2, dc in the ch 2 space.
  16. Ripple Crochet Purse
  17. * Dc in the next 7 stitches, skip 2 stitches, 1 dc in each of the next 7 stitches, dc, ch 2, dc in the next space,* Repeat steps between **once.
  18. Ripple Crochet Purse
  19. 1 dc in each of the next 5 stitches, dc decrease over the next 2 stitches, dc here, see?
  20. Ripple Crochet Purse
  21. Done.
  22. Ripple Crochet Purse
  23. You will now drop your green color and add your gold, ch 3.
  24. Ripple Crochet Purse
  25. Turn, dc decrease over the next 2 stitches, 1 dc in each of the next 5, dc, ch 2, dc in the next ch 2 space, *1 dc in each of the next 7 stitches, skip next 2 stitches, 1 dc in each of the next 7 stitches, dc, ch 2, dc in the next ch 2 space,* Repeat steps between ** until you have 8 stitches left. 1 dc in each of the next 5 stitches, dc decrease over the next 2 stitches, 1 dc in the top of the last ch 3.
  26. Ripple Crochet Purse
  27. Repeat last row once more with your gold, you now have 2 rows of gold.
  28. Ripple Crochet Purse
  29. You will now drop your gold and pick up your original green. The reason you are "running" your yarn along the side is because this will save you a great deal of time weaving in ends. When you stitch the sides up at the end, this will cover your yarn.
  30. Ripple Crochet Purse
  31. Now repeat row 13, 2 more times with your green. Remembering of course to ch 3 at the beginning.
  32. Ripple Crochet Purse
  33. You will continue repeating row 13 for 24 more rows. You will alternate your colors every third row, for a grand total of 30 rows.
  34. Ripple Crochet Purse
  35. You will now fasten off your green for good, pull up your gold yarn. Fold the bottom of the "purse" towards you.
  36. Ripple Crochet Purse
  37. Ch 1, 30 sc evenly down the side.
  38. Ripple Crochet Purse
  39. End off your yarn, join with a sc to the other side and make 30 sc evenly down that side as well.* You will join your yarn at the bottom, where your fold is*
  40. Ripple Crochet Purse
  41. You will now turn your purse right side out.
  42. Ripple Crochet Purse
  43. Ch 1 and begin to sc around the top.
  44. Ripple Crochet Purse
  45. You will have a total of 97 sc around the top of your purse.
  46. Ripple Crochet Purse
  47. Finish off your gold and join with a sc in the same space with your green.
  48. Ripple Crochet Purse
  49. Work 1 sc in each of the next 2 sc, sc decrease over the next 2 stitches. * 1 sc in each of the next 3 sc, sc decrease over the next 2 sc,* Repeat steps between ** until you have 2 stitches left. Work 1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches, join with a slip stitch to the first sc.
  50. Ripple Crochet Purse
  51. Ch 1, sc in the same space as your ch and in each stitch around. Join with a slip stitch to your first sc.
  52. Repeat last row once, end off.
  53. Ripple Crochet Purse
  54. You will now be making your strap. This strap is meant to just be long enough for a shoulder style bag. Ch 8.
  55. Ripple Crochet Purse
  56. Work 1 hdc in the 3rd ch from your hook and in each across.
  57. Ripple Crochet Purse
  58. Ch 2, turn. 1 hdc in the same space as your ch 2, and in next 6 stitches.
  59. Ripple Crochet Purse
  60. Ch 2, turn. 1 hdc in the same space as your ch 2, and in next 6 stitches.
  61. Ripple Crochet Purse
  62. Repeat the last row until you have a total of 81 rows. Or you may choose to make your strap even longer for a cross-body style.
  63. Lay your purse flat. Simply line up one end of your strap evenly centered on the side of your bag.
  64. Ripple Crochet Purse
  65. Now have the inside of your purse facing you, ch 1, work 8 slip stitch through your purse and strap to attach the 2. Repeat the same process with the other end of your strap. *Do not finish off after joining the second end*
  66. Ripple Crochet Purse
  67. Ch 1, 113 sc evenly around the edge of the straps and purse top. You are doing this to reinforce your strap and make it stronger. Otherwise your strap will begin to stretch out of shape after much use. Finish off, join with a sc to the other side, repeat by making another 113 sc. Finish off. Weave in all of your ends.
  68. Ripple Crochet Purse
  69. You may choose to add a flower to the front bottom corner of your purse. You may choose to line it with fabric. Or, you can call it good and start using it.
  70. Ripple Crochet Purse
  71. Enjoy! :)
  72. Ripple Crochet Purse

By melissa [165]

Crocheted Mini Purse

Multicolored crocheted purse.With your choice of double crochet thread and 3 hours or so, you can have a nice little purse for ID, Ipod, or cellphone!

Approximate Time: 3 hours

• your choice of crochet thread, doubled
  • hook size E
  • one button, 3/4 inch
  • hot glue gun

Instructions:

With your crochet thread doubled, chain 20 on your hook.

Turn, making a single crochet in the next chain. Chain one, skip one of the chain, and make a single crochet in that next chain, and continue to the end.

If you have a chain at the end, go back and make sure you counted the original chain at 20, or that you didn't skip the first chain from hook. You should always have an even 20 across.

Chain 1, turn and make a single crochet in that first stitch, chain one and keep going.

You will continue this pattern until you have completed 54 rows, or longer if you want it for a custom sized phone.

Bind off the last row by making a slip stitch in each (don't skip any) stitch of the last row.

For the clasp, join the hook on the 7th stitch across the original row, and make 6 single crochets in the 6 stitches, chain one and turn, and repeat this till you have made 8 rows.

Here comes the tricky part. On the 9th row, you will only make 3 single crochets, making 4 rows and binding off. This is 1/2 of the button hole.

For the other half, join back at the base of the split, and make 3 single crochets for 4 rows, then on the last row, join with a slip stitch to the other half of the split. Bind off and work in all of your tails.

Note: With regular thread and needle, you may want to bind all the tails on the inside. This prevents anything from ever slipping out.

With your choice of button, sew it onto the purse, using the clasp to measure where the button is to go. Once the button is in place, tie the ends several times in the back, and I put a small circle of felt over the ties and hot glued them down.

Fold your work in half, and join with the hook on the right side and bottom fold, making sure you catch all the stitch on the back half.

Make single crochets to bind the front to the back all the way up.

Keep making a chain to the desired length of the shoulder strap you want, long for over your shoulder, or short for a clip on to a belt loop or key ring.

Keeping it straight, join with the chain to the second half of the purse and crochet down to the bottom just like you did on the first half.

Chain 1 and turn, going back up the side of the purse with a slip stitch, then a single crochet for the shoulder loop, then slip stitch back down to the end of the purse.

Bind off and work in any tails.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

Tip: Knifty Knitter Purse for a Little Girl

little girl purseI was practicing some stitches while learning to crochet. I had a little crocheted piece about 5 inches wide and 12 inches long in a pale yellow. I just had thrown it aside. I got to looking at it today and decided to fold it in half longwise and stitch up long sides in matching yarn. I then used Knifty Knitter spool loom small side to make a handle around 14 inches long.

I used the Knifty Knitter flower loom to make pink and blue flowers and used yellow yarn to put handles on and the flowers at the base of the handles. I am filling it with small toys or candy and sending to my 4 year old niece for Christmas. I already had the yarn and the Knifty Knitter loom so the craft cost me nothing.

By Christina from Paducah, KY

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Crocheted Purse Ideas.

Question: Crochet Purse that Transforms into a Doll Bed

When I was a young girl someone taught me how to crochet a doll's purse that could transform into a doll bed. I would love it if someone remembers this pattern and would share it with me. I'd love to make one for my grand-daughter. Thanks!

By Patty

Most Recent Answer

By Patty [4]06/29/2011

Thanks to everyone for all the help! I hope to get started soon!

Question: Crochet Purse Made With Strips Of Fabric

Does anyone know how to knit or crochet a purse with strips of fabric?

Linda

Most Recent Answer

By Deb (Guest Post)10/09/2006

Here's a link to detailed instructions on HGTV to knit one...
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_accesso ... le/0,1789,HGTV_3227_2803674,00.html. If the link doesn't work, go to www.hgtv.com and search "Knitted Fabric Empress Purse."

Question: Crocheted Flower Purse Pattern

Help, I need the web site for a pattern for a crocheted flower purse. It is round and has petals. It looks like a big flower. I bookmarked it but it has disappeared. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Stanlie Steamer

Most Recent Answer

By Linda [1]05/20/2008

I clicked the yahoo link and it did not work for me.
Here is the message I got when I tried it:

Group Not Found
There is no group called palopintocrochetersandmore.
Please make sure you typed the web address correctly.
If you have done so, the group may no longer exist.