Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crocheted Purse Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Crocheted Purse

Making a crochet purse is not only fun, but you will have a useful, one of a kind, item for yourself or to give as a gift. This is a guide about crocheted purse ideas.

Solutions: Crocheted Purse Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Crocheted Denim Purse

Blue denim crocheted purse.This is a denim purse with jute handles and a button closure. I crocheted a rectangle for a sample, since I wasn't sure the heavy weight denim would work for this project. Instead of starting over, I chose to make a purse with it.

Approximate Time: One afternoon

• sewing scissors
  • denim blue jeans
  • jute
  • sewing needle
  • yarn needle
  • large button
  • sewing machine
  • large crochet hook
  • elastic ponytail holder

Instructions:

Cut denim into 1 1/2 inch strips. I just used scraps I had from other projects, so the colors don't match exactly.

Sew ends together to have one continuous piece to work with. I did this by machine, but you can also do it by hand.

Crochet a rectangle twice the size you want your purse to be tall. My purse ended up being 14 inches wide by 9 inches high.

Sew the sides together.

Crochet jute as wide as you would like your handles to be. I crocheted the jute about 1 1/2 inches wide until I liked the width for the purse.

Sew the side seams with the sewing needle and fishing line. Attach the jute handles through a "hole" in the crocheted piece and tie a slip knot. Repeat until the handles are attached in a placement that satisfies you.

For closure, attach a large button and an elastic loop for closure.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Crocheted Mini Purse

Multicolored crocheted purse.With your choice of double crochet thread and 3 hours or so, you can have a nice little purse for ID, Ipod, or cellphone!

Approximate Time: 3 hours

• your choice of crochet thread, doubled
  • hook size E
  • one button, 3/4 inch
  • hot glue gun

Instructions:

With your crochet thread doubled, chain 20 on your hook.

Turn, making a single crochet in the next chain. Chain one, skip one of the chain, and make a single crochet in that next chain, and continue to the end.

If you have a chain at the end, go back and make sure you counted the original chain at 20, or that you didn't skip the first chain from hook. You should always have an even 20 across.

Chain 1, turn and make a single crochet in that first stitch, chain one and keep going.

You will continue this pattern until you have completed 54 rows, or longer if you want it for a custom sized phone.

Bind off the last row by making a slip stitch in each (don't skip any) stitch of the last row.

For the clasp, join the hook on the 7th stitch across the original row, and make 6 single crochets in the 6 stitches, chain one and turn, and repeat this till you have made 8 rows.

Here comes the tricky part. On the 9th row, you will only make 3 single crochets, making 4 rows and binding off. This is 1/2 of the button hole.

For the other half, join back at the base of the split, and make 3 single crochets for 4 rows, then on the last row, join with a slip stitch to the other half of the split. Bind off and work in all of your tails.

Note: With regular thread and needle, you may want to bind all the tails on the inside. This prevents anything from ever slipping out.

With your choice of button, sew it onto the purse, using the clasp to measure where the button is to go. Once the button is in place, tie the ends several times in the back, and I put a small circle of felt over the ties and hot glued them down.

Fold your work in half, and join with the hook on the right side and bottom fold, making sure you catch all the stitch on the back half.

Make single crochets to bind the front to the back all the way up.

Keep making a chain to the desired length of the shoulder strap you want, long for over your shoulder, or short for a clip on to a belt loop or key ring.

Keeping it straight, join with the chain to the second half of the purse and crochet down to the bottom just like you did on the first half.

Chain 1 and turn, going back up the side of the purse with a slip stitch, then a single crochet for the shoulder loop, then slip stitch back down to the end of the purse.

Bind off and work in any tails.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

Tip: Knifty Knitter Purse for a Little Girl

little girl purseI was practicing some stitches while learning to crochet. I had a little crocheted piece about 5 inches wide and 12 inches long in a pale yellow. I just had thrown it aside. I got to looking at it today and decided to fold it in half longwise and stitch up long sides in matching yarn. I then used Knifty Knitter spool loom small side to make a handle around 14 inches long.

I used the Knifty Knitter flower loom to make pink and blue flowers and used yellow yarn to put handles on and the flowers at the base of the handles. I am filling it with small toys or candy and sending to my 4 year old niece for Christmas. I already had the yarn and the Knifty Knitter loom so the craft cost me nothing.

By Christina from Paducah, KY

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Crocheted Purse Ideas.

Question: Crochet Purse that Transforms into a Doll Bed

When I was a young girl someone taught me how to crochet a doll's purse that could transform into a doll bed. I would love it if someone remembers this pattern and would share it with me. I'd love to make one for my grand-daughter. Thanks!

By Patty

Most Recent Answer

By Patty [4]06/29/2011

Thanks to everyone for all the help! I hope to get started soon!

Question: Crochet Purse Made With Strips Of Fabric

Does anyone know how to knit or crochet a purse with strips of fabric?

Linda

Most Recent Answer

By Deb (Guest Post)10/09/2006

Here's a link to detailed instructions on HGTV to knit one...
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_accesso ... le/0,1789,HGTV_3227_2803674,00.html. If the link doesn't work, go to www.hgtv.com and search "Knitted Fabric Empress Purse."