Cutting Tires

Whether you are trying to dispose of your old tires or using them in a project, you may be looking for a way to easily cut them to suit your purpose. This is a guide about cutting tires.

old tires
Filter Sort

Tip: Cutting Tires with a Circular Saw

By aroth 1 1

I was able to successfully cut through some old tires using a 7.25 inch circular saw, albeit one fitted with a relatively high-end blade (a 40-tooth 'Diablo' woodworking blade). There are blades designed specifically for cutting through metal, as well, but they're even more costly than the Diablo.

In any case, I was able to cut through the tires without too much difficulty using the circular saw. I had to cut across one side, flip the tire over and cut across the other, and then stand the tire up and cut across the tread in order to get the tire cleanly in half. The blade seemed to hold up well enough, as it cut through the fourth tire about as easily as it cut through the first one.

This is probably very hard on the saw though. I Wouldn't recommend it if you have more than a few tires to cut through. And I'm guessing it may not work at all using the cheap blades that come standard on most circular saws.

Also sparks will go flying everywhere when you do this. Eye-protection is a good idea.

Cutting Tires with a Circular Saw
    Cutting Tires with a Circular Saw

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cutting Car Tires

By Joe 1

How to cut up discarded tires?

By Joe from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rob 1 52 Flag

Large tin-snips/metal shears.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: How to Cut and Turn Tires

Have you tried Paul Farbers way of cutting and turning tires? It's actually easy and kinda fun.

Editor's Note: We found this site that talks about Paul Farber's methods: http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/goatshed.htm

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cutting Tires to Line a Path

There are plenty of ideas on the web, but few if any on how to make these designs. I just want to cut the old tires in half to make a path border, but am having a heck of time finding out how to cut them.

Ideas I have got, how tos I don't.

By Tim s.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cutting Junk Tires in Half

How do you cut old used junk tires in half so they can be worked with?

By Robert S. from Jacksonville, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cutting Car Tires

Could you inform me on how you cut car tires please?

Debra from NSW

Feedback:

RE: Cutting Tires

Serrated knife should be used, cutting away from yourself. I did mine last week and got some nasty blisters. Sidewalls cut easier, but still took a lot (took a lot of breaks), of elbow grease. Then you have to sort of stand on inner part of tire/cut part away, on ground, then pull with all your might and turn it inside out. It was very hard to do. I found it a bit easier when I cut close to the tread, made turning a bit easier. Mine have been tastefully spray painted and face my neighbors bay window. He's been giving me funny looks ever since. At least I try and recycle. Don't try and use a saber saw to cut tires/ does not work and was a dangerous idea.

Claudia (04/24/2002)

By admin

RE: Cutting Tires

I have found using a jigsaw with a blade for rubber works quite well for cutting most tires. If you plan to cut into the tread then you need a modified metal blade. As for turning the tire inside out then that too is very easy. But I cannot tell you in a few short words how to do it. Just believe me if I can do it so can you. (I had back surgery a year ago and the smaller tires I can do). I bought a book by Paul Farber that tells all, he also has a video if you want it.
    (11/19/2003)

By Nadean

RE: Cutting Car Tires

I just came across a site of a guy who used wood chisels and and a hammer, said it took only a bit more time than a band saw did. (05/02/2006)

By Imani

RE: Cutting Car Tires

In Africa they make lots of things out of old tires. The most popular item made are sandals. They use a very sharp knife and water as a lubricant. They stop cutting to sharpen the knife on a honing stone several times each minute! Old-fashioned bias-ply tires can be cut any which way. They deal with steel belted tires by peeling off each layer of rubber between the steel belts. Don't work with steel belted tires without good leather gloves. The edges of those steel belts are very sharp and can cause a nasty, nasty cut.

Incidentally, unfortunately it's not a good business for the Africans because the sandals actually last multiple human lifetimes so they don't get any second-time customers. I guess they need a lesson in planned obsolescence.
    (07/12/2006)

By skinned_knuckles

RE: Cutting Car Tires

I found cutting them with a metal cutting blade Sawzall (actually the Skill version) works through the metal tread and the side wall, but I learned to avoid cutting the side bead through as it ate even the best metal blades up (Dewalt and Lennox). Just cut the bead off longways down the sidewall leaving a donut shape. (03/22/2008)

By Glenn

Better Living Green Living ReusingFebruary 12, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Stack of Free Tires
    Locating Free Tires
    Uses for Old Tires
    Uses for Old Tires
    Pile of Old Tires
    Disposing of Old Tires
    New Tires
    Buying Tires
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:07:53 AM on 10.0.1.188 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings