Dahlias

I have always loved dahlias. I watched a program on tv, not too long ago about them, and really got sparked up again about wanting to learn more! I live in S.E. Massachusetts, am disabled but very ambulatory most of the time! So I can come to you and learn! I also would like to know where to buy them or trade for services or what I can do for some of varied colors? Please help me! You won't believe how much I will appreciate your help, advise and teachings, etc.

Thanking you in advance,
Bill

Answers:

Dahlias

Hi Bill,

I suggest you visit gardenweb.com. They have forums for your geographic area, as well as for dahlias in particular:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/dahlia/

Angie (10/24/2004)

By mom2kaitie

Dahlias

Dear Bill, I've recently got jazzed on dahlias, too! This spring I ordered a seed packet. I started four of them in tiny pots just the way you would do for tomatoes. By the time the weather had warmed up they were in their second, larger, pots and were about 5" tall. They bloomed like crazy! The frost has now blackened them, and a friend told me how to store the rhizomes for next year. In an appropriately sized box, put a ten-page layer of newspapers in the bottom. Top that with an inch of either peat moss or vermiculite. Put the freshly dug rhizomes on that, and then top off with enough peat moss or vermiculite to cover them by about another inch. Add ten pages of newspaper and tuck them down around the edges. If you have used vermiculite, you need just a tiny sprinkle of water on it. She swears this works beautifully, and you ought to see her dahlias! Some are at least six feet tall, depending on the variety. So I'm putting my dahlias away tomorrow by her instructions. Good luck! P.S. I'm disabled but ambulatory, too. If I can do this you probably can, too.

(10/27/2004)

By Coreen.

Orange Dahlias
Growing Dahlias
Dark red dahlias.
Wintering Dahlias
yellow and orange dahlias.
Staking Dahlias
Assorted dahlia blossoms
Dahlia Photos
🎄