Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

My teenage daughter shaved her sideburns and then she went further on the side of her face. I flipped

out when I noticed that she did that. I kissed her cheek the other day and she had stubble! Oh my gosh!

Help! What do I do with her? I've always told my girls ever to shave any part of their body other than

their underarms and legs, but being a teen that thinks mom doesn't know anything.

P

Answers:

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

This probably isn't helpful, but...

Let her do it? By opposing her, you're just giving her something to fight against. If you accept that

this is a time in her life that she will be experimenting with her body, then she'll probably get over

it.

Besides which, hair will grow back. I would talk to her soon about permanent things,like tattoos and

piercings, though. You might want to talk about the health risks of tattoos (there's a potential of

getting HIV plus not liking it later) and piercings (nerve damage, muscle damage, and also HIV).

(07/12/2005)

By Kathy K.

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

Does your daughter have excessive facial hair? Like a faint mustache or beard? If so, she should be

checked out by a reproductive endocrinologist. There are several disorders out there that cause excessive

testosterone in women. One of them, which I have, is called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It can be

treated.

Hope this helps! (07/13/2005)

By Genny

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

Shaving unfortunately causes thick rough hair to grow back, however I have found from personal experience

that waxing or using a depilatory cream which removes the hair from the root allows for faint normal hair

to grow back, tell her to stop shaving she'll get a five o'clock shadow of sorts, the creams are

fantastic I personally prefer Sally Hansen's facial hair removing cream. All the best! (07/15/2005)

By Anonymous Friend

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

I have sideburns and very little body hair. Your daughter should leave it alone until the facial hair

begins to show and then just use Jolen facial hair bleach. No stubble, and it blends with the peach fuzz!

(08/05/2005)

By Rue

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

Hormones? Lasers? Depilatories? Wax? Wow. Haven't any of you been to a salon since you were too young to

go without your mom?

I have been professionally cutting hair for 20 years. For the past 10 years or so, I've routinely

shaved in front of the ears on girls' and women's cuts. It's just a routine part of some haircuts.

There's nothing to it, just like getting the fuzz and stray hairs taken off the nape.

Contrary to the popular wife's tale, this does not make the hair grow coarser, thicker, nor darker. It is

just when the hair is cut very short, it stands up with a blunt end without the weight of the rest of the

hair once held it flat.

I would be more concerned about your daughter cutting her own hair. Might I suggest taking her a salon

for a professional haircut? The look she is trying to achieve is most likely part of an overall style that

requires professional skill to create, especially one that requires shaping the hair in front of the ears

into "sideburns". It's an art to do so with a feminine result.

I have clients with this kind of cut who come in once or twice a week between haircuts to get their napes

and in front of their ears cleaned up. I do this as courtesy as do most stylists for regular clients.

Again, it's a part of maintaining that kind of cut.

(08/08/2005)

By Cuts_by_Terri

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

Surely it's perfectly appropriate for a girl to shave her sideburns or for that matter her mustache?

(07/28/2006)

By Joy

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

Your daughter is taking an interest in her appearance, and did something on her own about it, which may

not have worked out the way she liked. You should try to help her with what she sees as a problem. Read

the above suggestions. See an MD to check about hormones issues and medication possibilities. Or go to

the beauty supply store together to shop for a remedy. I taught myself everything I knew about "beauty"

from magazines like Seventeen, maybe a subscription? (05/25/2007)

By pamphyila

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

I waxed mine off today. I've always waxed my eyebrows and upper lip, so I decided to wax that little bit

under your lower lip and some of my chin. 4 weeks on and it was growing back faint and slow so I decided to

do my sideburns. It feels so good. You can get a cream from the doctor for slowing down facial hair and

ultimately stopped it, it's called VANIQA.

I think waxing is the best way to go. I started waxing my legs when I was 13 and I'm 19 now and my legs

now have bald spots and little hair, same with underarms. (11/03/2007)

By Dinah

why worry

I used to hate my side burns. I have really dark hair and you can really notice them. I used to get

bullied at school over my really dark and thick side burns and people used to call me a boy in school for

having them, so I shaved them off and the people in school still called me a man and picked on me because

I shaved them off. But then I tried waxing them and my side burns still grew back really dark and black,

but then one day I just thought to my self what is so bad about having side burns and being a girl,

nothing.

Now I don't shave my side burns. If you feel embarrassed just hid them when your out by having your

hair down. and you should be confident in what ever way you look. If you were born to have thick and dark

side burns, then don't worry about it. If you don't worry about it, I'm sure other people won't. If

people have a problem with them and don't like them, it is their problem.

Live life great even with dark thick sideburns :p
(04/14/2008)

By Stacey =D

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

I have dark hair/sideburns and I just use cosmetic scissors. I've been doing it since my early teens, it

looks great and doesn't grow back prickly, nor do I have issues with my skin. Since most people have

small thin hairs all over their body and face waxing often draws attention to those because there is no

hair, but cutting it off with scissors makes it look naturally bare or similar to the overall appearance

of the face. (12/26/2008)

By Shanna

Daughter Shaving Her Sideburns

My daughter is 16 with hair on her face and chest and neck. I took her for a laser consult and had a

test area done on her body and more hair grew back. We have been going to an electrolysist once a week

and her face looks pretty good, what a change and its permanent! As new hairs crop up we will just

continue to have them removed. I highly recommend that route. (04/30/2009)

By 3 girls

daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
Mother Daughter Tea
Planning a Mother Daughter Tea
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes
🎄
🍂