Decoupage Tips and Tricks

Category Decoupage
decoupaged bowl
Many kinds of things can be decorated with paper and secured with white glue, lacquer or Mod Podge. This is a guide about decoupage tips and tricks.

I recently discovered that with a little water added to plain white craft glue, the same crafts can be made, with the same results instead of using the more expensive Mod Podge as an adhesive/sealant/gloss.

I use Murphy Oil Soap, to clean my paint brushes. I do decoupage, and the brushes get gluey. So I will soak them overnight in the oil soap, and they are clean again.

By Hope from Wilmington, NC

For decoupage, use a diluted solution of ordinary white glue to seal in the decorative paper you have applied to your object. It dries to a nice, shiny surface.

By Pam from Los Angeles

What is the best sealer to use on a piece of paper glued to a piece of wood. I don't want to ruin the pictures I am putting on the wood.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You could use decoupage or ModPodge glue. It comes in a variety of finishes like antique and matte. Or you could make your own glue using three parts of Elmer's white glue to one part of water. Some of the decoupage glues are sealers as well, but after gluing the paper you could also seal the project with a clear or matte acrylic spray.

From Instructibles:

Use a water based polyurethane. Sand lightly between coats with a 250 or higher grit sandpaper

I have seen where some folks like the floor wax, Has anyone ever used that as a finish?

You can use shellac, varnish, Krylon clear sealer, or two-part resin such as they have at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

I would like to know if you have to use Mog Pog or is there a way to decoupage cheaper just for practice?

Marilyn from P.Huron, Mi

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have always used watered down Elmers glueall or school glue. It is SO much cheaper!

You can mix 3 parts white glue to one part water for a modpodgish type finish.

I agree, diluted white glue works great and when you're done decoupaging, could you share a picture of your creation with us?

What I used to do was put some paint thinner in a quart jar, about a third of the jar and then take styrofoam egg cartons or other styrofoam works too (all the same color) and put them in the jar. The paint thinner will melt the styrofoam and the mixture will become thick. Keep the lid on the jar so the thinner doesn't evaporate when your not using it. Once you've achieved a good consistancy, use a paint brush to apply it to your project.

I'm doing a project for an art class, and I'd like to use decoupage glue as a way to glue down a bunch of jewelry that I have laid out in a picture frame. If I were to pour the decoupage into the frame in layers, let it dry, and reapply layers until I've covered all the jewerly, would the glue dry clear onto the glass, or look weird from layering?

Currently the image shows the jewelry I have laid out the way I want, with the back cardboard back of the frame removed, and the glass on the bottom.

I would use Aleene's jewelry and metal glue. It is stronger.

Try Amazing Goop for a few bucks. Dries clear:

https://www.wal  l13=&veh=sem

I think it would peel. There is a product that Hobby Lobby and Michaels sell that is a clear resin. You pour and and it hardens. It can be several inches deep and when it dries it appears like it is a piece of glass. We used it in VBS to make paper weights with objects inside them. If I find mine I will post the name.

This is what we used. Some kids put flowers in them, or shells or coins or jewelry. I teach science and tutor science on the side, so mine have bugs and butterflies in them. https://www.mic  n/M10558114.html

I agree with mom-from-missouri: resin is your best option for a durable and long-lasting result. Check youtube for instructions.

Years ago there was a product you applied to the front of a thick item to decoupage, then when dried, you could wet and rub off the back, making the item plastic like and thinner to decoupage. Do you know if anything like this is still available? Thanks.

By Joyce G.

I remember using the product you are talking about called "Mod Podge" This is the official site of the product. I loved making stickers out of magazine photos.

http://www.plai  e/brand/home.htm

Some profess you can take Elmers Glueall and thin with some water and get the same effect. It does work but the coating and dry time may differ. Don't use school glue though. This would work for smaller projects. I liked how you could coat a magazine photo with the mod podge and then when fully dry, dampen the photo on the back and gradually rub off the paper and be left with a nice picture that set flatly in place. I have not used it in years so do some test runs before doing anything permanent.

Another product is called Royal Coat.

I don't think you're thinking of Mod Podge, or Royal Coat (both of which are great products). It sounds like you're talking about something you make a decal/transfer with. Mod Podge is something you put on and use it to adhere a picture to a surface (decoupage). I remember there being a product like the one you describe; the paper rubs off, leaving only the image. I don't recall a name, but will try a search.

Here are some descriptions of a variety of transfer products, I think you'll find what you're looking for:

http://ths.gard  30413005732.html (this product seems to be for transferring to fabric)

http://www.vint  sfer_images.html

http://blackber  Tranx%20Maxs.htm

http://www.thea  seventy-two.html

You may be thinking of a product called "Decal-It" I believe it was made by Plaid (makers of ModgePodge) but have not seen it in awhile. Not sure they still make it any more.

How do you decoupage?

By bawest

Most people buy a product called "Mod Podge" (sold at craft stores) & follow the directions on the container it comes in, but the cheapest way is to use a white glue (like Elmer's) & thin it 50-50 with water & glue then use this as your decoupage medium.

Directions:

Simply cut or tear out your paper (pictures or text) then apply the medium (glue or mod-podge) to the article being decoupaged using a paint brush, next apply the paper or fabric artwork to the wet area then apply another coat to the top of the artwork & let dry. Most people apply 3 or 4 more coats to the top to seal it. Mod Podge comes in Gloss. semi-gloss or Matte, whereas White Glue is kind of a semi-gloss. Have fun!

http://www.ehow  6_decoupage.html

Do I really have to remove old decoupage before putting on new?

Just sand, paint and decoupage away. If you don't sand it will be "bumpy".

Not necessarily although it does depend on what item you are doing over again and how smooth you want it to look. If you don't want to bother, then just paint a nuetral color over the old decoupage and when dry, do it over again. Good luck

I'm going to be decoupaging a cheap old table with newspaper clippings. I'm concerned that the reverse of each clipping might show through once I have decoupaged them to the table.

What sort of surface should I mount these on to minimize any effects of them being translucent - a dark surface or a light surface?

In other words, might it be better to paint the table black or to paint the table white before starting the project?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I do a lot of decoupage and some paper is fine as it is. However some magazine paper and newspaper needs sealing on the back before using. This solves the problem you are having.

Ted, why don't you take a piece of cardboard and paint half of it black and the other half white. Do a test decoupage on both sides and decide which one works the best.

If I use the Elmer's glue as a sealer after gluing the print on, can I put a sealer like lacquer on the glue sealer? I need something water resistant.

By N. Portie from Sulphur, LA

Several coats of Elmer's should do it.

I'm new to mod podge with this being my 1st project. I did lots of research and watched videos. My project was to mod podge a photo to wood. It looked easy enough. My problem is it doesn't seem to drying clear like it should.

I wanted my wood painted so I painted it using folkart paint. 1 coat only set to dry for 4 hours. Then I applied a thin coat of mod podge. It dried 24 hrs. Next step I did was print my pictures on my ink jet printer, then added 3 coats of acrylic sealer to them with 15 minutes drying time in between coats. Then over all dry time 1 hour in the sun. Next came the fun part. I applied a even coat of mod podge gloss-lustre to the picture then applied it to the wood. I used my fingers to press it down, then a credit card to smooth out the bubbles. It has been drying for 23 hours now, but it isn't getting clear. What did I do wrong? I did get some pod podge on the top of the pictures. Is that my problem. I want to wet them and start to rub off the paper, but I'm not sure if it is dry enough. Any hint or tips?

How do I decoupage? Is it different from making a collage?

Karyn from Columbus, OH

Editor's Note: Here is an in-depth article about Decoupage:

Answers:

How To Decoupage

Decoupage is just really cutting out paper designs/pictures and gluing them onto a hard surface, like wood or cardboard and then covering with something clear - like lacquer of shellac or Mod Podge to seal it. (I found out at a crafts workshop years ago that you can use watered down Elmer's glue!) (07/31/2007)

By pamphyila