Deep Cleaning Hair

Category Washing
Many of the hair care products we use as well as environmental pollution can leave your hair dull, lifeless, limp, and generally unclean looking. This is a guide about deep cleaning hair.

I read in a book that washing your hair weekly with baking soda takes all the build-up from hair products and such out of your hair. You just add about a half a palm full to your shampoo for the night and wash your hair as usual. I tried this and it made my hair VERY foamy while washing it but VERY soft the next day!

Since you can get a box of baking soda for around $.50, it keeps you from spending high prices on those clarifying shampoos and it's multi-purpose!

Source: Baking soda uses book.

By Fairon from Panama City Beach, FL

Is it ok to use on color-treated hair? Thanks.

This is SO CHEAP and it cleanses even my oily hair and leaves it soft and silky! Follow with mixture of 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water, then rinse. Beautiful!

• 1 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup water

Directions:

Mix well. Put in squirt bottle for easiest usage.

Squirt all over head. Work into scalp. Rinse. Repeat.

Follow with mixture of 1 TB. apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water to condition. Work into hair. Rinse. Done!

Hair may take 2 weeks to "adjust" to mixture. If extra conditioner is needed, work coconut oil or olive oil lightly into ends. Enjoy beautiful hair without harsh chemicals!

Source: Simple Organic

By Catherine from TN

I've wanted to try this method of cleaning your hair, but have been afraid I couldn't adjust to the "in-between" period - my hair is so oily & my scalp itches when it gets too bad & right now with the heat,humidity & night sweats, I look like I poured a bottle of oil over my head. Maybe I'll try this every other day in between shampoos & see what it does for me. Thanks for the reminder!

As for the cider vinegar, I can attest that it works beautifully. My mom is 73 yrs old (with very thin,fine hair I inherited from her) & has used the vinegar rinse for probably 30 years, her beautician marvels at how nice her hair is & the fact she never seems to have split ends!I use it occasionally, but forget mostly.

I use baking soda on my hair about once a month to get rid of build up. The small box of soda I keep in the shower kept getting wet and the soda would clump up. As a solution, I saved an empty, large spice bottle with the shaker top to store the soda in. Problem solved.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Hmm, may I add something to this information and practice? Hair, skin and the products we all use are so varied that the concept is good for some and not so good for others. Most humans do not have the same condition, hair, and skin, any more than we have the same habits. Unfortunately we live in a "too many choices/ options" nation, with way too many "greedy and unscrupulous" manufacturers of beauty supplies.

It's not as simple as blood types to determine when a person has had their last tinting, perm, uses hot water or washes often, has had meds, applied some solution that has a metallic salt in it or is very acidic, or if their diet is

mostly protein/ carbs/ liquid/ electrolytes, been dieting

regularly, uses the same products for years or changes according to sales/ fragrances/ colors/ experimenting often, and even age/ occupation is a very important factor.

Without a full and working knowledge of national origin of a person, the technology involved, and some serious experience with hair/skin chemistry when working with any sort of product on the hair/ skin, it's a toss up as to the microscopic REAL results. Even if it "feels and looks great" afterward, or is shiny/ bouncy/ thinner/ fuller....whatever.

Yes, Henna can be a problem sometimes, leaving some sorts of hair dried out...depending upon the origin of the product, whether or not it has been altered or is pure, and how it is prepared/ with what ingredients brought results?

Yes, oily/ waxy build-up can be addressed and if on more virgin hair/ skin, the baking soda can help, if washed/ rinsed out very well.

Will it work for you? Try it a couple of times to see, but be

cautious because, although unlike AJAX regularly scrubbed on a sink/ counter top -or- smoker's toothpaste on tooth enamel, both of which are irreparable once damaged, by the time you realize any damage with hair/skin that can grow, it could take from six months to years to replace the damage from regular "clarifying"/ deep cleansing.

Suggestion: Rather than just feel a hand full of hair, or fingers through the fluff of clean hair, take only a few dry hairs between your fingers before using the baking soda, then again afterward, and train your fingers to actually feel both the full length of the hairs, going back then to feel the roots, the middle, and especially the ends. Then stretch the hair to see if it is strong or weak, making both mental and written notes. It will speak volumes if you will simply do this with a delicate touch, searching for damaged places, over-slick surfaces/ places, and stubby

ends like when "split".

There will always be "testimonies" about someone thrilled with a product whether simple and basic or expensively

over-rated/ unnecessarily "beefed up". I prefer basic and natural, with the least "chemical" additives, yet I must Henna to cover grey because too many other and darker tints have proven to cause cancer.

Even in knowing just what and how much "build-up" is on the hair/skin between scrubs, does not prevent damage over the term and life of each hair. If thin, it could happen quicker than on full thick Asian hair, or strongest Eskimo hair, for example.

As strange as it may seem, even "touching" the skin is damaging; as well as brushing hair causes damage when wet or with poor quality brushes.

So, please don't be flippant about what appears to be a quick fix "for anyone" if you value your appearance and time. Hair is dead the minute it leaves the scalp, so whatever you do to it will eventually cause it to drop out...and if you are not very careful, damage can come at any time. Best to do trial and error after first examining, then continual examination to try to offset any difficulties.

Natural is always best so keep it ALL simple, watch what you eat, learn about and watch all ingredients, read information articles/ warnings, and heed them all to avoid the pitfalls. Baking soda regularly on teeth can cause a world of damage as happened to my best friend's father, a pastor, who scrubbed away most all of his tooth enamel until it was too late.

He should have tried rinsing a very long time with plain water before brushing with only water, then use only a quick rinse of Peroxide for 15 seconds and spit well. ( I have old fillings from childhood that recently began falling out, leaving teeth problems, so I now eat parsley and take acidophiles and Zinc Chelate to help. Keep in mind that Flouride is a poison, and pastes have sugars in them. Does that make sense?

Baking Soda is very abrasive, regardless. Good luck and God bless. : )

I'm using baking soda to wash my dry curly hair, but it's making my hair greasy looking. It looks like I haven't showered, lol. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

By Kristal Cecile D.

Sounds like you aren't getting all of the baking soda out. Try a weak rinse of one part white vinegar and 9 parts water. If that doesn't work, try a little more vinegar. Be frugal with the vinegar as your hair as you indicated is dry to start with. These types of things take experimenting and patience.

If it were me, I would stop using Baking Soda, or anything that is making your hair look greasy, and find a nice hydrating shampoo from your favorite store. You can find very inexpensive shampoo that is great for dry hair, you don't have to spend a lot. Laboratories have spent money and hours to produce the best cosmetics so we don't have to. Good luck. Salem Oregon

I would give up on the baking soda. I would never use anything such as that in my hair. Go get a nice, pleasant smelling, shampoo that is regulated for the type of hair that you have. Cosmetic companies have spent a long time developing shampoos and rinses for every type of hair. You do not have to pay exorbitant prices; often a generic brand or inexpensive brand works just as well. I have no faith in these old fashioned home remedies; waste of time and effort, in my opinion. Baking soda is an alkali; I might use it to clean a sink, but never hair.

How many times do you need to wash your hair with baking soda before all the hairspray residue is gone? I've washed it 3 times now and there is still some there, (my hair has been suffering with hairspray residue for over 12 months).

I've had to buy some Aussie Miracle Treatment conditioner, because the baking soda dried my hair out terribly. If you add some baking soda to hot water and soak your brushes, you can watch all the hairspray bubble. Yuk.

By Nutttytart from Doncaster

I've never heard of this, but it makes me really glad that I don't use that stuff!

I have found that Dawn is great for removing hair spray. When I overdo the hair spray, I use a little Dawn first, rinse, then use my regular shampoo and conditioner. Works great.

Anonymous

No offense but what the heck kind of hairspray and how much are you using and how often do you normally shampoo your hair?

I was a hairstylist for thirty years (as were both my parents) and I never saw the kind of build up, that won't go away in over a year, on a clients hair like you're talking about here except for clients who only washed their hair every week or two and overly used strong hold hairspray every single day :-o

Just use a strong non-moisturizing shampoo, scrub well, rinse, condition (don't rinse), start combing with a very fine tooth comb (start from bottom and work up to scalp), keep combing and rinse comb often. Shampoo again, rinse, condition, rinse and style. You may need to do this a few times before all the residue is gone but it should be gone after a week or two.

You need to change your habits and switch to a mild or medium hold hairspray. When it comes to hairspray think the adage 'less is more' and just don't use so much and not more than a time or two a day. You don't need to be a helmet head to have a nice and pretty style ;-) And be sure to wash and style your hair more often, too!

As a licensed cosmetologist I recommend baking soda and dawn, in paste form. Every week until all residue is gone then every 3 months for maintenance. If you have naturally oily hair I also recommend tree tea shampoo once a week to control build up, My favorite moisturizing shampoo is Moisture Maniac by BEd head. Avoid buying it at drug stores and such go to a salon and buy it there. I know most walmart salons carry it. You can sometimes get ans liter of shampoo and conditioner for 20.00 cheap you do not have to use as much because it is professional it should be your everyday shampoo to keep your dry from drying out. Lastly I would recommend a light hold hairspray such as Paul Mitchell's work it out.

Another avenue would be to use a good clarifying shampoo Sally's Beauty can help you with that. it is always good to deep clean your hair ever so often to get minerals from hard water out, build up from hair care products.

Everyone's hair is different, but here's my routine. I use hair gel and hair spray every day. I also wash my hair every day, using a mild shampoo for "normal" hair. I use a small amount of shampoo, work it through, then rinse it out. Next, I dissolve a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a cup of water, pour it over my hair, and work it through. Last, I use another small amount of shampoo, work it through, and rinse well. That gets my hair squeaky-clean.

When I frosted my hair, it felt sort of "strawlike" after this, so I added an extra step of 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water to achieve that squeaky-clean and "smooth" hair feel (and perhaps return some of the acid-alkaline balance to my hair). I did not rinse this out. After drying, my hair did not smell like vinegar and it was very soft and silky.

Dottie

if i remember right i used to used borax build up of lacquer in the hair gone in one. bicarbonate of soda is no good.