Deep Cleaning Hair

Category Washing
Many of the hair care products we use as well as environmental pollution can leave your hair dull, lifeless, limp, and generally unclean looking. This is a guide about deep cleaning hair.

I read in a book that washing your hair weekly with baking soda takes all the build-up from hair products and such out of your hair. You just add about a half a palm full to your shampoo for the night and wash your hair as usual. I tried this and it made my hair VERY foamy while washing it but VERY soft the next day!

Since you can get a box of baking soda for around $.50, it keeps you from spending high prices on those clarifying shampoos and it's multi-purpose!

Source: Baking soda uses book.

By Fairon from Panama City Beach, FL

Is it ok to use on color-treated hair? Thanks.

This is SO CHEAP and it cleanses even my oily hair and leaves it soft and silky! Follow with mixture of 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water, then rinse. Beautiful!

• 1 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup water

Directions:

Mix well. Put in squirt bottle for easiest usage.

Squirt all over head. Work into scalp. Rinse. Repeat.

Follow with mixture of 1 TB. apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water to condition. Work into hair. Rinse. Done!

Hair may take 2 weeks to "adjust" to mixture. If extra conditioner is needed, work coconut oil or olive oil lightly into ends. Enjoy beautiful hair without harsh chemicals!

Source: Simple Organic

By Catherine from TN

I've wanted to try this method of cleaning your hair, but have been afraid I couldn't adjust to the "in-between" period - my hair is so oily & my scalp itches when it gets too bad & right now with the heat,humidity & night sweats, I look like I poured a bottle of oil over my head. Maybe I'll try this every other day in between shampoos & see what it does for me. Thanks for the reminder!

As for the cider vinegar, I can attest that it works beautifully. My mom is 73 yrs old (with very thin,fine hair I inherited from her) & has used the vinegar rinse for probably 30 years, her beautician marvels at how nice her hair is & the fact she never seems to have split ends!I use it occasionally, but forget mostly.

I use baking soda on my hair about once a month to get rid of build up. The small box of soda I keep in the shower kept getting wet and the soda would clump up. As a solution, I saved an empty, large spice bottle with the shaker top to store the soda in. Problem solved.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Hmm, may I add something to this information and practice? Hair, skin and the products we all use are so varied that the concept is good for some and not so good for others. Most humans do not have the same condition, hair, and skin, any more than we have the same habits. Unfortunately we live in a "too many choices/ options" nation, with way too many "greedy and unscrupulous" manufacturers of beauty supplies.

It's not as simple as blood types to determine when a person has had their last tinting, perm, uses hot water or washes often, has had meds, applied some solution that has a metallic salt in it or is very acidic, or if their diet is

mostly protein/ carbs/ liquid/ electrolytes, been dieting

regularly, uses the same products for years or changes according to sales/ fragrances/ colors/ experimenting often, and even age/ occupation is a very important factor.

Without a full and working knowledge of national origin of a person, the technology involved, and some serious experience with hair/skin chemistry when working with any sort of product on the hair/ skin, it's a toss up as to the microscopic REAL results. Even if it "feels and looks great" afterward, or is shiny/ bouncy/ thinner/ fuller....whatever.

Yes, Henna can be a problem sometimes, leaving some sorts of hair dried out...depending upon the origin of the product, whether or not it has been altered or is pure, and how it is prepared/ with what ingredients brought results?

Yes, oily/ waxy build-up can be addressed and if on more virgin hair/ skin, the baking soda can help, if washed/ rinsed out very well.

Will it work for you? Try it a couple of times to see, but be

cautious because, although unlike AJAX regularly scrubbed on a sink/ counter top -or- smoker's toothpaste on tooth enamel, both of which are irreparable once damaged, by the time you realize any damage with hair/skin that can grow, it could take from six months to years to replace the damage from regular "clarifying"/ deep cleansing.

Suggestion: Rather than just feel a hand full of hair, or fingers through the fluff of clean hair, take only a few dry hairs between your fingers before using the baking soda, then again afterward, and train your fingers to actually feel both the full length of the hairs, going back then to feel the roots, the middle, and especially the ends. Then stretch the hair to see if it is strong or weak, making both mental and written notes. It will speak volumes if you will simply do this with a delicate touch, searching for damaged places, over-slick surfaces/ places, and stubby

ends like when "split".

There will always be "testimonies" about someone thrilled with a product whether simple and basic or expensively

over-rated/ unnecessarily "beefed up". I prefer basic and natural, with the least "chemical" additives, yet I must Henna to cover grey because too many other and darker tints have proven to cause cancer.

Even in knowing just what and how much "build-up" is on the hair/skin between scrubs, does not prevent damage over the term and life of each hair. If thin, it could happen quicker than on full thick Asian hair, or strongest Eskimo hair, for example.

As strange as it may seem, even "touching" the skin is damaging; as well as brushing hair causes damage when wet or with poor quality brushes.

So, please don't be flippant about what appears to be a quick fix "for anyone" if you value your appearance and time. Hair is dead the minute it leaves the scalp, so whatever you do to it will eventually cause it to drop out...and if you are not very careful, damage can come at any time. Best to do trial and error after first examining, then continual examination to try to offset any difficulties.

Natural is always best so keep it ALL simple, watch what you eat, learn about and watch all ingredients, read information articles/ warnings, and heed them all to avoid the pitfalls. Baking soda regularly on teeth can cause a world of damage as happened to my best friend's father, a pastor, who scrubbed away most all of his tooth enamel until it was too late.

He should have tried rinsing a very long time with plain water before brushing with only water, then use only a quick rinse of Peroxide for 15 seconds and spit well. ( I have old fillings from childhood that recently began falling out, leaving teeth problems, so I now eat parsley and take acidophiles and Zinc Chelate to help. Keep in mind that Flouride is a poison, and pastes have sugars in them. Does that make sense?

Baking Soda is very abrasive, regardless. Good luck and God bless. : )

I'm using baking soda to wash my dry curly hair, but it's making my hair greasy looking. It looks like I haven't showered, lol. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

By Kristal Cecile D.

Sounds like you aren't getting all of the baking soda out. Try a weak rinse of one part white vinegar and 9 parts water. If that doesn't work, try a little more vinegar. Be frugal with the vinegar as your hair as you indicated is dry to start with. These types of things take experimenting and patience.

If it were me, I would stop using Baking Soda, or anything that is making your hair look greasy, and find a nice hydrating shampoo from your favorite store. You can find very inexpensive shampoo that is great for dry hair, you don't have to spend a lot. Laboratories have spent money and hours to produce the best cosmetics so we don't have to. Good luck. Salem Oregon

I would give up on the baking soda. I would never use anything such as that in my hair. Go get a nice, pleasant smelling, shampoo that is regulated for the type of hair that you have. Cosmetic companies have spent a long time developing shampoos and rinses for every type of hair. You do not have to pay exorbitant prices; often a generic brand or inexpensive brand works just as well. I have no faith in these old fashioned home remedies; waste of time and effort, in my opinion. Baking soda is an alkali; I might use it to clean a sink, but never hair.