Determining Fair Market Value for Donations

How do I value clothing items I've donated throughout the year? I took pictures of each item for our records, but now I need to put a value to each item.

By Candace from Scottsdale, AZ

Answers:

Read the Archives at the bottom of this page entitled:
Request: Determining Fair market Value for Donations (12/02/2009)

By MCW

To my knowledge you do not get to determine the value of the items, the place you take them to does.
Our non-profit is only allowed to give a receipt for the amount we will make off of it. Example: your 30.00 shirt resales here for 2.00 and that 2.00 is all the more write off we can give. (12/03/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Here's what I do: go to Honesty.com, and search for the item that you're donating. This site has a tool that lets you see what the going market rate is for the item, on auction websites. This is a great baseline to work from, because online auctions are the only national, "true" supply and demand market. If the price is too high, no one buys. You get a clear picture of what the market will bear, on used items. Good luck, and good for you, for donating. (12/05/2009)

By leopardstripes

Woman with a box labeled Donation Clothes
Determining Fair Market Value of Donations
red, blue, and yellow prize ribbons
Winning Craft Entries At The State Fair
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Sending Donations to Troops
Sending Donations to Troops
🎄