Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry

This is a page about determining the value of silver jewelry. The value of most jewelry is determined by the value of the metal it is made out of. The value of silver is ever changing and is based on its weight and purity.

I have a lovely silver bracelet that I purchased in Mexico over 60 years ago. The workmanship is perfect. There are no markings on it. Did they make silver jewelry back then without using markings? The bracelet is tarnished. I should have polished it before taking photo.

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few facts about Silver made in Mexico.

1. Pure silver has a brilliant metallic luster.
  2. Pure silver is a soft alloy that is easy to work with and to form. However, if you're making jewelry, plates, silverware or beads the alloy needs to be mixed with another alloy to make it stronger and more durable.
  3. Advertisement

4. If the bracelet was handcrafted from pure silver and one of the alloys it can tarnish at a slow rate. This will tarnish faster than pure sterling silver.
  5. A good quality sterling silver bracelet is 90% silver and mixed with 10% alloys.
  6. In Mexico they would stamp their silver. Such as 925 or so forth. This indicated the state of purity of the silver bracelet.
  7. If you purchased your bracelet from 1960 to 1970 the bracelet would be stamped with a number. The different range of number is 900, 925, 970, and 980. These are Eagle number of silver made in Mexico.
  8. I would suggest looking at your bracelet and see if you can find any stamp with a number such as these.
  9. This will indicate how pure your bracelet is and how much alloy was used when making your bracelet.

I have a 92.5 sterling silver ring. I think it is an Oriental or tribal design ring. Where can I take it to find out how much it is worth?

Thanks.

Answers

A jeweler will tell you the melt value based on its weight and the market price of the day. A ring bought for its esthetic value will be worth more.

The market for silver changes,you would have to get a professional to look at it,to get the best price!

The quickest and easiest way to get a fair idea about value of something like this is to take it to a large pawn shop and have them take a look.

They'll tell you the silver content and if they do not offer to buy it then you can pretty much count it to be worth $25 or less.
If they offer to buy then you can take it home and start research to see what it is worth.

There are a lot of free appraisal sites online and all you need to do is send several pictures.
Just Google free jewelry appraisals

Can you post a photo of the ring? It may be worth more as a ring than for scrap value!

In general you could search online and find the current selling price of sterling silver. Today it is $15.07 per Ounce (oz), however the ring could be made by a company/design that is more expensive. If you have a photo that could may help?

it is best if you take it to a local jeweler to find out the price of this ring. Nobody here can weigh it or even determine how much silver is actually in the ring. it is hard to tell you how much this is actually worth.

I have a silver bangle that is quite heavy. I am just wondering how much I'd get if l sold it?

Answers

You would get the melt value if you went into a jewelry store. Today it is $17.02 per ounce. You could probably sell it for more on eBay or similar sites.

Is it marked Sterling or 925, 95, 825 or some other marking to verify it is silver? If it is plated the resale shops do not take it. I was just at mine on Friday and learned that something I had bought in 1979 which was sold as sterling, was indeed plated. The gal said this happened all the time with older pieces. I was not a happy camper.

That said, if its real, silver is up at the moment, so if you are going to sell, now is the time. I did have a pin which was sterling (it was 2 inches by 1 inch and was heavy and as high as silver is, all it fetched for scrap was $3.

If you were to sell it online you would NET about that same amount if it is real silver as the ball bangles are selling for 9.99 with "free shipping" which means the SELLER pays to ship. So after shipping and fees, you will probably net $2-4 depending on where you were shipping it.

Just to add, if you want to research them online, they are called
Love Cuff Ball End Open Bangle Fashion Bracelets by most sellers. You can check the eBay sold section to get a feel for the market each week and see if it changes.

Not sure where you live, but you could bring into a local jewelers and ask how much would they buy your silver bracelet to know what their price is and then re-calculate based on what they buy in as and sell as to come out true value.

Does it have any identifying marks on the inside? 925, etc? You need to first identify if its sterling or plated. A local jeweler can help you with identifying that if you cannot see marks.

Your best bet is going to be EBay these days. You could probably get anywhere from $5-$20 depending on the shape its in. I cant tell from the photo if it has any scratches, etc.

Silver can be tricky to sell because most silver is not pure silver but mixed with another alloy. The reason for this is because pure silver is not strong and can bend and break easily. You will need to know how much silver is actually in the bracelet and how much it is mixed with another alloy. The only way I know how to do this is to look on the bracelet and see the numbers that are there. Now you need to search online to find the exact mix of your braclet. Once this is one you can now figure out the price it can sell for if you sell it to a person who will melt it down. Other than this you can also determine how much you can ask for this bracelet if you sell it online.

I have a sterling silver Coach ring that I would like to sell. How much is it worth?

Answers

Gold and silver prices depend on the weight of the item. Coach is a popular brand. However, since it is used it will be less than what you paid for it.

Haven't found a sold one on eBay, but someone is offering the exact same ring, size 8 for 25.00 buy it now at 40.00. If it sells that will be the market price as a ring. A gold/silver dealer will look you it's scrap weight. You can compare to see which one gets you more.

Would someone know if the 925 silver ring has more value if it is marked V8 (1947) or if it doesn't really matter?

Answers

It seems that the artist who designed the ring was named Valerie. If you are melting down the ring, it doesnt matter. If not, you need to see if there is a market for this artist.

I have one earring it has 925 and right beside v-8 what do i have?

Sterling silver is a silver alloy containing 92.5% silver and 7.5% of another metal, usually copper. Sterling silver is commonly used for making fine jewelry. This is a page about how much is .925 silver worth?.

Silver Bracelets

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2
Consumer Advice General AdviceDecember 14, 2015
🎃