Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry

This is a page about determining the value of silver jewelry. The value of most jewelry is determined by the value of the metal it is made out of. The value of silver is ever changing and is based on its weight and purity.

During a lockdown sort out I've come across this silver thimble that my nan gave me many years ago. I can only find information on one website which I need to subscribe to obtain a value. This site did give me the following information.

"Rare item. Solid silver English hallmarked thimble and crown cover combination in presentation case. The thimble is plain silver with '1952 E II R 1972' engraved to the side. The crown has a plain silver base with a gilt finish to the remainder, the detail includes fleur de lis and there are four red gemstones on each of the shoulders. I am not sure what they are, possibly rubies or garnets. It is topped with a cross. The thimble bears the makers mark 'TPC', the lion denoting sterling silver, and the panther's head for London. It is about 2.2 cms tall, 2.1 cms diameter, and weighs 8.3g. The crown also bears the makers mark 'TPC', the lion denoting sterling silver, the panthers head, and the date letter 'c' for 1977. It is further hallmarked with the additional duty mark to commemorate the silver jubilee. About 3.2 cms tall and 2.4 cms in diameter and about 10g in weight. It is in the original case with the label attached underneath with the words 'THIS SILVER THIMBLE AND CROWN COVER IS ONE OF A PRIVATE EDITION OF ONLY 200 DESIGNED BY JENNIFER M YOUNG TO COMMEMORATE THE SILVER JUBILEE OF HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II LONG MAY SHE REIGN'. Red felt base"

Any help with the value or any other information about this thimble would be very much appreciate.

Answers

Best Answer

I would advise you to NOT take this free trial as things like this can be disastrous and this company has had problems with charging when the trial period was ended using statements like; "need 3 days to cancel payment order".
Never - ever - give bank information (not even debit card or you may have to lock that card). If you have access to a card that expires in 7 days then okay to use.

But - this is the only site that seems to have information about this thimble.

www.worthpoint.com/.../silver-jubilee-solid-silver-gilt...

This is a sort-of forum so someone on this site may have information.

ask.extension.org/ask

You might try asking for a free appraisal but most of these sites will not provide information on any item valued less than $500 and I have no idea as to the value of your thimble.
Still - it doesn't hurt to ask and someone may be interested in looking at this item.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../collectibles.html

This site charges $20 but good appraisals and if you plan to sell for very much money you will need an appraisal.

www.valuemystuff.com/.../how-it-works

Best Answer

Personal appraisals can be nice but as a general rule (with something like this) they have a program that takes them to an appraisal site (could be one of the free ones listed) and then they provide you with whatever the company sends to them. Of course, they have to pay the appraisal company an annual fee for their services.

The most important first thing if seeking a local appraisal is to ask - up front - what type of certificate/license do you have - what is the total fee and will I get professional pictures?
With an item like this - some jewelry stores have appraisers (they may be independent - not actual employees of the store but only rent the space in the store) but they will have the proper certificates/license.
Please let us know what you learn about this neat item.

Mom always said, give some away and sell the rest. My mom passed away and we gave most of her sentimental jewelry pieces to family and friends. We have a few pieces left that are .925 silver (primarily necklaces). What is the best next step?

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

The next step to determine the value of these items is to take them to a jewelry shop and have them appraised. They will be the best ones to weight the items and tell you how much they are actually worth. Then you can determine if you want to sell them for the silver weight or list them for sale online. A few of the pieces could be kept by the rest of your family to remember your mom by.

Best Answer

On Google > Search > Silver Prices Today

This is the current price that Sterling Silver is being sold for.
Note: If you sell your piece, the buy in will be less as these jewelers, pawn shop stores need to make money.

If you could do research on the items online you might be able to find if they were rare pieces (if so price will not be dependent on the weight of sterling silver).

Best Answer

As a general rule - pieces sold for silver content will not be worth the gas to take them to a shop. Jewelry stores rarely give information on pieces (some may tell you the silver content of one or two pieces for free but they are not in the business to do things for free. Cost of appraisals is many times more than the piece is worth unless it is an antique and a famous maker.

If you wish to know the jewelry content, a pawn shop is usually the best place to go. It is costly to melt down silver/gold to the point it is sellable by the merchant so they may only offer 25% or less of the current silver value. If they buy it in a lot, they would then pick out the pieces they could sell and scrap the rest.

If there is any piece that someone would like to keep, now is the only time they will have this opportunity so do not have regrets as most likely very few pieces will be very valuable - if any.

You should examine each piece closely and write down any numbers/marks you can find as they are sometimes 'hid'.
If you find any marks you can post another question with a picture of the necklace and marks and someone may be able to help you further. It is best to do only one picture on each question as multiple pictures can get confusing.

You and helpers can research 'vintage silver necklaces on eBay and Etsy to see if you can find anything even similar to what you have. Just remember, asking prices are only prices a seller would like to receive for their items but only an exact sold item can tell you a 'current value'.
Since you will probably never find exactly the same necklaces you will have to determine from your research what would be a good starting price.

www.etsy.com/.../vintage?term=vintage_sterling_silver_necklace...

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=vintage+silver...

eBay is the only site that a link to their sold listings but you check for similar necklaces to see what people are really paying for these older pieces - you may find something to help you.

Be very careful and examine each piece for marks as most likely these will be the only ones to be worth very much money.
Jewelry is still selling but may be slow as there are thousands of pieces for sale.

You might want to consider posting these on other venues such as Facebook Marketplace, letgo, offerup or any other site you're familiar with. This way you can post on several sites at the same time and start with higher prices and lower them if no one shows an interest. Do not give out any personal information and never let anyone come to your house for an item like this.

eBay and Etsy are good sites but not for new sellers when jewelry is involved.

I am dealing with a silver ring stamped 925 with several small stones of two types. I believe three of the larger stones are blue sapphires with a few small diamond looking stones, probably zirconium. My question is how do I determine the weight and value of the silver by weighing the ring with stones in it?

Answers

Best Answer

You would have to remove the stones to get an accurate weight.

I recommend that you go to a jewelry store and a pawnshop for an appraisal. Both will have expertise in weights and measures and typically do not charge for this service.

Best of luck.

Best Answer

Take this piece to a jeweler professional, they can determine the weight, type of stones, the type of metal. Taking this piece for appraisal will give you the knowledge of the type of stones, weight, value for piece of mind and insurance !

Best Answer

A jeweler that specializes in these types of appraisals would be the only way to know exactly how much the ring and stones weigh. You should contact a person in your area and take the ring in for an appraisal.

I have a lovely silver bracelet that I purchased in Mexico over 60 years ago. The workmanship is perfect. There are no markings on it. Did they make silver jewelry back then without using markings? The bracelet is tarnished. I should have polished it before taking photo.

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few facts about Silver made in Mexico.

1. Pure silver has a brilliant metallic luster.
  2. Pure silver is a soft alloy that is easy to work with and to form. However, if you're making jewelry, plates, silverware or beads the alloy needs to be mixed with another alloy to make it stronger and more durable.
  3. If the bracelet was handcrafted from pure silver and one of the alloys it can tarnish at a slow rate. This will tarnish faster than pure sterling silver.
  4. A good quality sterling silver bracelet is 90% silver and mixed with 10% alloys.
  5. In Mexico they would stamp their silver. Such as 925 or so forth. This indicated the state of purity of the silver bracelet.
  6. If you purchased your bracelet from 1960 to 1970 the bracelet would be stamped with a number. The different range of number is 900, 925, 970, and 980. These are Eagle number of silver made in Mexico.
  7. I would suggest looking at your bracelet and see if you can find any stamp with a number such as these.
  8. This will indicate how pure your bracelet is and how much alloy was used when making your bracelet.

I have a 92.5 sterling silver ring. I think it is an Oriental or tribal design ring. Where can I take it to find out how much it is worth?

Thanks.

I have a silver bangle that is quite heavy. I am just wondering how much I'd get if l sold it?

Answers

You would get the melt value if you went into a jewelry store. Today it is $17.02 per ounce. You could probably sell it for more on eBay or similar sites.

Is it marked Sterling or 925, 95, 825 or some other marking to verify it is silver? If it is plated the resale shops do not take it. I was just at mine on Friday and learned that something I had bought in 1979 which was sold as sterling, was indeed plated. The gal said this happened all the time with older pieces. I was not a happy camper.

That said, if its real, silver is up at the moment, so if you are going to sell, now is the time. I did have a pin which was sterling (it was 2 inches by 1 inch and was heavy and as high as silver is, all it fetched for scrap was $3.

If you were to sell it online you would NET about that same amount if it is real silver as the ball bangles are selling for 9.99 with "free shipping" which means the SELLER pays to ship. So after shipping and fees, you will probably net $2-4 depending on where you were shipping it.

Just to add, if you want to research them online, they are called
Love Cuff Ball End Open Bangle Fashion Bracelets by most sellers. You can check the eBay sold section to get a feel for the market each week and see if it changes.

Not sure where you live, but you could bring into a local jewelers and ask how much would they buy your silver bracelet to know what their price is and then re-calculate based on what they buy in as and sell as to come out true value.

I have a sterling silver Coach ring that I would like to sell. How much is it worth?

Answers

Gold and silver prices depend on the weight of the item. Coach is a popular brand. However, since it is used it will be less than what you paid for it.

Haven't found a sold one on eBay, but someone is offering the exact same ring, size 8 for 25.00 buy it now at 40.00. If it sells that will be the market price as a ring. A gold/silver dealer will look you it's scrap weight. You can compare to see which one gets you more.

Would someone know if the 925 silver ring has more value if it is marked V8 (1947) or if it doesn't really matter?

Answers

It seems that the artist who designed the ring was named Valerie. If you are melting down the ring, it doesnt matter. If not, you need to see if there is a market for this artist.

I have one earring it has 925 and right beside v-8 what do i have?

Sterling silver is a silver alloy containing 92.5% silver and 7.5% of another metal, usually copper. Sterling silver is commonly used for making fine jewelry. This is a page about how much is .925 silver worth?.

Silver Bracelets

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Consumer Advice General AdviceDecember 14, 2015
🐛
📓
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Determining-the-Value-of-Silver-Jewelry.html