BusinessBusiness and Legal

Determining Prices for an Ironing Service

Category Business

What do I charge for doing ironing?

By Janet

Hard to say. You don't want to be more expensive than a dry cleaner or the customers will use the dry cleaner instead of you.

If you are a really good and fast ironer, you can charge at least $10-$12 an hour, or you can charge "by the piece". Time yourself to see how long it takes you to iron a long-sleeved dress shirt for instance, and if it's to be folded or placed on a hanger also makes a difference. How much starch is in the shirt? You need to find out all the details before you give them a price. Everything takes time.

Your location (state and city) may be a factor as well.

Ironing ruffles for instance takes a longer time than just plain blouses etc. Regardless of what you are going to be ironing or how you charge, good ironers are hard to find these days, and I've never had anything done at the cleaners that was done as nicely as hand-ironing.

Not that many ladies (or men) want to be bothered with learning to iron anymore. I'm so glad my mother taught me. It is not the easiest job in the world to do either. Hard on your feet, back and shoulders.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Pookarina

I would call around to dry cleaners and laundries to get what the prices run in your area. Then you could either charge the same or a few cents cheaper to build your business.