Determining the Value of an Older Sewing Machine

Category Miscellaneous
old sewing machine
Some vintage and antique sewing machines have value to collectors. This is a guide about determining the value of an older sewing machine.

This is a guide about information about Winselmann antique sewing machines. Antique sewing machines are a popular collectible. Collected for their beauty and workmanship, they are also refurbished and used by crafters who enjoy sewing on these antique machines.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a 1967 White sewing machine, what is it worth? It is in good condition, works well.

By James

My daughter bought a '78 Kenmore in the cabinet for $30 and it needed a $30 part and she is sewing up a storm for $60. She loves it. Older machines do not bring much. Hope this helps.

Rasta is right. Older machines are just not worth much money wise. In my area you would be lucky to sell it for $25.00. I have found them at garage sales for as little as $5.00.

The older machines often don't cost much money, but most work better than newer machines because they were made to higher standards. Some people think that White sewing machines are some of the best made sewing machines in the world. The White company made cars, bicycles, sewing machines and quite a few other highly engineered products. So remember that the worth of a machine is not always measured by its price. Eventually, quality does win out...but it might take another 50 years before most people recognize it. BTW, I have a White machine too, it is beautiful and I paid $50 for it in someone's front yard even though I really didn't have room for another sewing machine (I am such a sucker for a pretty face!).

I have a 1930s White rotary sewing machine in cabinet with knee peddle and electric . Worked up until a few years ago when the cord sparked and I stopped using it. Has 2 drawers on inside of cabinet door and included the the original metal Rotary box with all attachments and replacement parts. I paid 10$ for it 25 years ago.

I received a Coronado treadle sewing machine for a Christmas present and I can't find a model number on it. I have been looking on the internet to find out information on it, but can not seem to find any. I am looking for any information possible.

By Vickie G

Your machine is a vibrating shuttle bobbin type - and you're in luck because these bobbins (look like a bullet) are being made again! Plus nothing but the belt on any treadle (also being new-milled today) is made of rubber or plastic and so can be restored to working order if so desired.

Your machine was made by the National Sewing Machine Company and 'badged' for the Gambles Department Store chain (found in Canada, so your machine must have travelled down to the US from there after purchase). The following link gives some fantastic info on treadle machines and cabinets including Singers but also machines made by National (scroll down for the National info):

http://www.trea … tingtreadle.html

Another good source of information is the following:

http://ismacs.net/

Be warned - these lovely elder ladies are addictive!

Whoops! Hit 'post' too soon!

Your machine looks to be a late 1920s through very early 1940s model based on the style of controls and the cabinet. Also, the Coronado badging is exclusive to Gambles and all their machines were sold as Coronado machines.

I found some info. on this website. Scroll down under the pictures of the sewing machines for the info. Hope this helps. Happy New Year Everybody!

http://ths.gard … 14134120239.html

I have a 1867 approximate, Winselmann treadle coffin top sewing machine that was made in Germany. I am not sure if it was ever imported to Canada. There is no info available on the internet for this machine. It has a very ornate metal stand and the pitman arm and the wheels are made of wood.
Does anyone out there have any further info on this machine?

By Julie from Canada

I've never heard of this machine but then I am a vintage and antique Singer user. I've found a lot of fantastic information on mine at ISMACS and treadleon, and I know they have information on other brands of these wonderful machines. Use the search features, and contact info-they do accept questions on machines:

http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

http://www.treadleon.net/

I've also found a lot of good information on this site:

http://www.hele … co.uk/index.html

Be warned, lol, researching a vintage or antique sewing machine becomes an addiction very quickly!

Anonymous

I have an almost exact twin to this machine and have no idea as to it's value.

I have a Singer sewing machine, model #192 with original proof of purchase and owner's manual; what is it's value?

By Darla B

Antique and vintage Singers generally have little value, I'm sorry to say. However, some in 'mint condition' can auction for a fair sum (rarely into the triple digit figures - but that's rare!). The big money Singer collectibles are the Featherweight machines but your 192 is not a Featherweight, it's a 'Spartan', so named for being the simplest yet hardest working of the Singer domestic machines - the Spartan straight out of the factory (usually the one near Glasgow, Scotland) was capable of handling not only everyday fabrics for clothing but several thicknesses of denim, hessian and jute (burlap), even leather and so the machine had a lot of value to farmers and isolated rural homes. But it was a very inexpensive, stripped down model that didn't come with a lot of accessories.

If the decals are in excellent condition, if the machine is still in working order, if the factory paint is still on and in excellent condition, if the original receipt, owner-user guide (original!), and original accessories are with the machine, if...value depends on all of that and most importantly - if someone is interested.

If you're hoping to sell this machine, do your homework - check on the Singer website for the build date and gather as much of the machine history as you can (for example, was it a wedding gift to a young farm bride and did she use it to sew for the farm or a family soldier marching off to WWI and WWII? Did she sew everyone's clothing on it and do you have any of those garments or a quilt made from the worn out clothes?) - then write that down on a separate sheet of paper - this is called provenance and it adds to the value of the machine; check on eBay and CraigsList to see if yours or any model antique and vintage Singer are 'hot' and selling, and for how much.

Also do some search engine runs using the machine maker/model name-number+collector to see what comes up.

At this moment, the most you could hope for is low double digits (I mean low, like close to teens rather than fifty) but it's possible to make the machine more desirable IF you can prove provenance.

What would be the value of my Featherweight model AH664777?

By Kathy H.

I have a 1966 White Sewing Machine Model#166 Serial#2886 in the orginal cabinet with the knee pedal. Is it worth anything?

By Jackie

My boyfriend's mom has an antique black Coronado sewing machine. He was just wondering what the machine may be worth? Any other information about it would be greatly appreciated.

By Cindy from Jim Thorpe