Browsing: Disposing of Cooking Oil and Grease

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Disposing of Cooking Oil and Grease

Properly discarding used cooking oil and grease will save your plumbing. There are a variety of ways to effectively discard these cooking products after usage. This is a guide about disposing of cooking oil and grease.

pan for oil frying
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 23, 2016 Flag

We keep a large can (like stewed tomatoes) in the freezer where we pour our cooking grease from cooked ground beef, baked chicken, etc. Any liquid grease goes in the can until it is full. Then we put it in a plastic bag, tie the bag and it goes out with the trash on trash day. If the weather is hot, we try to put it in the trash as late as possible, so it doesn't become liquid. This keeps as much grease as possible from going down our drain.

September 16, 2014 Flag

To dispose of grease, I freeze it. First, I let it cool slightly and then pour it into a small plastic container to freeze. When frozen, I give the container a twist and it pops out like an ice cube. I drop it into the bag of frozen food waste that I keep in the freezer until garbage collection day. The Land O Lakes Butter Spread container works great for this. It is soft and flexible. I keep the container in the freezer beside the bag of food waste and use it over and over.

Freeze Cooking Grease Before Discarding

March 3, 2010 Flag

Need an easy way to dispose of leftover grease from frying? Empty your kitchen sink, and put a piece of wide tin foil in the sink. Push the foil into the drain to make a little cup. Do not put any holes in the foil, then place 2 pieces of paper towel in on top.

April 22, 2011 Flag

Fats, Oils, and Grease (aka FOG) isn't a well known environmental issue, but it is an issue in which everyone contributes. I encourage you to follow these simple steps to keep fats, oils, and grease out of the sewer system.

August 31, 2009 Flag

Know those "to-go" coffee cups? The ones with the little plastic lids that form a natural drinking spout? Instead of disposing of barely used cooking oil from your skillet after frying, use a rinsed out to-go coffee cup to pour it in.

May 27, 2010 Flag

We shred everything with critical information on it so I always have a good supply of shredded paper. When I have fat or any kind of cooking liquid I don't want going down my sink drain, I fill a can or a whipped cream bowl with "shreddings" and pour it in the bowl.

March 20, 2013 Flag

I save empty foil type coffee bags for disposal of grease drippings. I don't want to pour it down my sink drain and risk clogs nor do I want it puddling in the bottom of my kitchen trash bag.

February 3, 2014 Flag

Of course, I never pour it down the drain, but if it ends up in the kitchen trash bag, I often have drips on the floor after carrying it to the dumpster. So I use whatever empty can, soup, vegetables, whatever I have on hand, then put it into the freezer.

July 22, 2009 Flag

Instead of trying to find a place for grease that you use to cook, I save a coffee can and put it all into the can. When the can is full, I throw it out. This helps keep my drains clear.

March 20, 2012 Flag

When the foil cat treat bag like Purina Whisker Lickin' Tender Moments is empty, do not throw it away. Instead, let your grease cool after cooking and then then pour it into the little bag and zip it shut.

July 26, 2011 Flag

To avoid clogged sinks, I usually pour leftover grease and cooking oil into an old can. I had problems with clogged sinks, because I could never get all of the grease or oil out of the pan no matter how hard I tried.

December 17, 2008 Flag

I of course reuse all my plastic store bought food tubs, as it saves me major money on leftovers storage, but here is a tip for disposal of old fryer grease.

December 7, 2011 Flag

At one time, when you had grease you would put the grease into a used coffee tin container. What is the best way to dispose of the grease these days?

By Arlene

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put mine in a glass bottle I've recycled, put it in the freezer until I take it to the trash.

March 1, 2010 Flag

I recycle my glass jars and tin cans. When it comes time to drain off grease from having fried bacon or other greasy food, it's hard for me to find a suitable way to dispose of it. This has proven to be a quick cleanup way to take care of the mess.

Line a heat tolerant bowl with aluminum foil. Pour the hot grease you've drained off into the lined bowl. When it has hardened, simply gather the edges of the foil and toss it into the garbage.

Source: Picked up this idea from a friend who is not only a good cook but also a clever one.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Answers:

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I also recycle jars but I think it's reasonable to sacrifice one to hold bacon fat or used cooking oil. I use a glass jar and I keep it in the fridge till it's full, then it goes in the trash.

The foil method is ok for fat that hardens, but cooking oil needs a rigid container with a lid. (08/24/2009)

By OliveOyl

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

Granted, I don't eat a lot of bacon in my house, but if you're frying enough to eventually fill a glass jar with the fat, why throw it away. Why don't you use it. My mom would save hers in a crock and use it to fry other things.

Cook some popcorn in bacon drippings and you'll never go back to any other kind again. (08/24/2009)

By Corene

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I do the same thing. I save all my jars, plastic too, with the lids. Then when I have oil or grease to dispose of, I just fill it up and throw it away.

I save little 2 oz jars too, they really come in handy for that little bit of oil. Since I don't fry much, I am guilt free about throwing away one or two on occasion. Sometimes you have leftovers that need throwing away too and may have more liquid than you want to put in the garbage. Just put them in one of these jars and throw them away.

I don't have a garbage disposal so this is the way I dispose of them. Keeps ants and animals away from my garbage can since they can't smell it in the jars.

I save those large juice containers for the times when I use my deep fryer for fish. I don't save fish oil so you have a lot of oil there. But one of the large juice containers works great. I use a funnel sometime to put in in the jar or just pour it into a measuring cup with a spout and that makes it easier to then pour it into the juice container. (08/26/2009)

By eveh

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I put some of my bacon grease in my dog's dried dog food. (08/29/2009)

By darlooney

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

Why dispose of your bacon grease? I keep ours and use it to make Roux. Then use this to thicken soups, stews and gravies (09/13/2009)

By DNS Video

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I use my g-spout to strain and then pour with no mess either my bacon grease into a old can with lid or for my old cooking oil I use my g-spout to pour it into a closed container and then I drop it off at my local Whole Foods where they in turn turn it into bio-diesel for their fleet. Never ever pour grease or oil down the sink, it is really bad for your sewer and county pipes as well as the environment. (10/05/2009)

By kim145

August 24, 2009 Flag

I save the jars and lids that I get whenever I purchase tomato sauce and mayonnaise. When I have bacon drippings or old oil from fried foods, I pour the fat into these jars. When the jar gets full, I put the top back on and put the jar in the trash. This will prevent your drains from being clogged with this oil and keep your trash cans from getting messy inside.

-Uyvonne

Answers:

Using Cans

Whenever I use something in a can, I rinse the can out. Then when I cook ground beef, I drain the fat into the can. When the fat has cooled and hardened, I throw away both with no mess and no fat sitting around!(11/20/2004)

By Camilla

August 24, 2009 Flag

I save cleaned out glass jars to drain grease from frying bacon or hamburger.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsMarch 17, 2013
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:09:20 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.