Container for Disposing of Kitchen Grease and Oil

Any ideas for a non-recyclable container larger than a butter dish to use for disposal of kitchen grease or oil? I cook roasts in a larger crock pot and need something larger.

I use the large product bags from my supermarket. I double or triple them, wait for the grease to cool, pour the grease into the bags and tie them securely. Then throw in the trash.

While they're still hot or warm, I just pour the drippings off into a heat-resistant dish ( like Pyrex ovenware, 1 or 2 qt.) and set it aside until the contents are at room temperature. I save bread/roll/bagel bags, pour liquified or scrape anything solidified into them, twist tie and discard with trash.

Have also used gallon sized storage or freezer baggies in the same way, on those days when I've prepped veggies or whatever for the meal and previously stored them in those; just hang onto them for the oil cleanup instead of tossing immmediately after getting dinner in the crockpot or stovetop or oven.

I would use a heavy crock with a top on it to store bacon grease sausage Grease or any type of cooking medium after it has been used. The Crocks I have used are usually heat resistant so pouring hot liquid into it would cause breakage. The Croc could be kept on the stove so would be accessible for cooking purposes

That's a great idea! Thanks for the info.
Sandy

You can use crock pot liners since they are heat resistant and large enough to accommodate the grease. Just put the liner in a heat-resistant bowl, fill with grease and stuff, then tie off and dispose when cool.

You can also recycle fat!
A bucket of sand with old oil poured in makes a handy cleaner for garden tools. Just plunge them in the sand, and they come up clean and shiny. Then you might be able to think of a winter use for the sand; maybe as an aid when your car wheels aren't gripping, or on steps that are slippy.

Make a bird cake with left-overs to feed the birds.

But most of all, fat can be re-used in the kitchen. Pour your excess into a large bowl, and use as necessary.
Also the gravy that jellies beneath the fat enriches stocks.
Don't waste a valuable food - fat is not the demon it has been made out to be!

coffee cans, ice cream cartons (line w a plastic bag if necessary, milk cartons, (cut off the top w a sharp knife.

I just use a coffee can. Turn the label around to the back or tear off. Hey, we're throwing them away, anyway!

I freeze mine and use it when I need to make gravy.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 12, 2016
🐛
📓
🌻