Disposing of Cooking Oil and Grease

Category Helpful Hints
Properly discarding used cooking oil and grease will save your plumbing. There are a variety of ways to effectively discard these cooking products after usage. This is a guide about disposing of cooking oil and grease.

Need an easy way to dispose of leftover grease from frying? Empty your kitchen sink, and put a piece of wide tin foil in the sink. Push the foil into the drain to make a little cup. Do not put any holes in the foil, then place 2 pieces of paper towel in on top.

Place a colander over the paper towel. Drain whatever you are cooking. It will collect on top of tin foil or paper towel. Gather and close up the foil so that grease does not spill. Instead of throwing it into the garbage, I put it at the bottom of the freezer to harden. Then I throw it away on garbage day.

By Liz Erickson from Branchville, NJ

To dispose of grease, I freeze it. First, I let it cool slightly and then pour it into a small plastic container to freeze. When frozen, I give the container a twist and it pops out like an ice cube. I drop it into the bag of frozen food waste that I keep in the freezer until garbage collection day. The Land O Lakes Butter Spread container works great for this. It is soft and flexible. I keep the container in the freezer beside the bag of food waste and use it over and over.

Fats, Oils, and Grease (aka FOG) isn't a well known environmental issue, but it is an issue in which everyone contributes. I encourage you to follow these simple steps to keep fats, oils, and grease out of the sewer system. Not only will this save your sanitation district money (tax payer $$) but also it will help you in keeping your own pipes clean. ($$)

By Kimber Ha from Plano, TX

Know those "to-go" coffee cups? The ones with the little plastic lids that form a natural drinking spout? Instead of disposing of barely used cooking oil from your skillet after frying, use a rinsed out to-go coffee cup to pour it in. The cup can even be flattened slightly at the rim as your pour, to better accommodate the size of your skillet rim. Then pop the lid on the cup and use the drinking spout as a pour spout, to pour the oil back into its container.

The cup can withstand higher temperatures since it is made for hot coffee, but don't overdo it! This also works great for other liquids, and things such as sugar, rice, glitter, and seed beads as well.

Next, take the cup and stick it in your bag of charcoal, or your firewood box. Next time you grill out or light a fire, you have a handy fire-starter helper. Then don't forget to put the wood ashes in your compost bin!

By Gloria Hayes from Darien, GA

We keep a large can (like stewed tomatoes) in the freezer where we pour our cooking grease from cooked ground beef, baked chicken, etc. Any liquid grease goes in the can until it is full. Then we put it in a plastic bag, tie the bag and it goes out with the trash on trash day. If the weather is hot, we try to put it in the trash as late as possible, so it doesn't become liquid. This keeps as much grease as possible from going down our drain.

We shred everything with critical information on it so I always have a good supply of shredded paper. When I have fat or any kind of cooking liquid I don't want going down my sink drain, I fill a can or a whipped cream bowl with "shreddings" and pour it in the bowl.

When the foil cat treat bag like Purina Whisker Lickin' Tender Moments is empty, do not throw it away. Instead, let your grease cool after cooking and then then pour it into the little bag and zip it shut.

I save empty foil type coffee bags for disposal of grease drippings. I don't want to pour it down my sink drain and risk clogs nor do I want it puddling in the bottom of my kitchen trash bag.

Instead of trying to find a place for grease that you use to cook, I save a coffee can and put it all into the can. When the can is full, I throw it out. This helps keep my drains clear.

Of course, I never pour it down the drain, but if it ends up in the kitchen trash bag, I often have drips on the floor after carrying it to the dumpster. So I use whatever empty can, soup, vegetables, whatever I have on hand, then put it into the freezer.

I of course reuse all my plastic store bought food tubs, as it saves me major money on leftovers storage, but here is a tip for disposal of old fryer grease.

To avoid clogged sinks, I usually pour leftover grease and cooking oil into an old can. I had problems with clogged sinks, because I could never get all of the grease or oil out of the pan no matter how hard I tried.

Any ideas for a non-recyclable container larger than a butter dish to use for disposal of kitchen grease or oil? I cook roasts in a larger crock pot and need something larger.

Answers

I use the large product bags from my supermarket. I double or triple them, wait for the grease to cool, pour the grease into the bags and tie them securely. Then throw in the trash.

While they're still hot or warm, I just pour the drippings off into a heat-resistant dish ( like Pyrex ovenware, 1 or 2 qt.) and set it aside until the contents are at room temperature. I save bread/roll/bagel bags, pour liquified or scrape anything solidified into them, twist tie and discard with trash.

Have also used gallon sized storage or freezer baggies in the same way, on those days when I've prepped veggies or whatever for the meal and previously stored them in those; just hang onto them for the oil cleanup instead of tossing immmediately after getting dinner in the crockpot or stovetop or oven.

You can use crock pot liners since they are heat resistant and large enough to accommodate the grease. Just put the liner in a heat-resistant bowl, fill with grease and stuff, then tie off and dispose when cool.

You can also recycle fat!
A bucket of sand with old oil poured in makes a handy cleaner for garden tools. Just plunge them in the sand, and they come up clean and shiny. Then you might be able to think of a winter use for the sand; maybe as an aid when your car wheels aren't gripping, or on steps that are slippy.
Make a bird cake with left-overs to feed the birds.

But most of all, fat can be re-used in the kitchen. Pour your excess into a large bowl, and use as necessary.
Also the gravy that jellies beneath the fat enriches stocks.
Don't waste a valuable food - fat is not the demon it has been made out to be!

coffee cans, ice cream cartons (line w a plastic bag if necessary, milk cartons, (cut off the top w a sharp knife.

I would use a heavy crock with a top on it to store bacon grease sausage Grease or any type of cooking medium after it has been used. The Crocks I have used are usually heat resistant so pouring hot liquid into it would cause breakage. The Croc could be kept on the stove so would be accessible for cooking purposes

I just use a coffee can. Turn the label around to the back or tear off. Hey, we're throwing them away, anyway!

I freeze mine and use it when I need to make gravy.

That's a great idea! Thanks for the info.
Sandy

At one time, when you had grease you would put the grease into a used coffee tin container. What is the best way to dispose of the grease these days?

By Arlene

Answers

I put mine in a glass bottle I've recycled, put it in the freezer until I take it to the trash.

I recycle my glass jars and tin cans. When it comes time to drain off grease from having fried bacon or other greasy food, it's hard for me to find a suitable way to dispose of it. This has proven to be a quick cleanup way to take care of the mess.

Line a heat tolerant bowl with aluminum foil. Pour the hot grease you've drained off into the lined bowl. When it has hardened, simply gather the edges of the foil and toss it into the garbage.

Source: Picked up this idea from a friend who is not only a good cook but also a clever one.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Answers:

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I also recycle jars but I think it's reasonable to sacrifice one to hold bacon fat or used cooking oil. I use a glass jar and I keep it in the fridge till it's full, then it goes in the trash.

The foil method is ok for fat that hardens, but cooking oil needs a rigid container with a lid. (08/24/2009)

By OliveOyl

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

Granted, I don't eat a lot of bacon in my house, but if you're frying enough to eventually fill a glass jar with the fat, why throw it away. Why don't you use it. My mom would save hers in a crock and use it to fry other things.

Cook some popcorn in bacon drippings and you'll never go back to any other kind again. (08/24/2009)

By Corene

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I do the same thing. I save all my jars, plastic too, with the lids. Then when I have oil or grease to dispose of, I just fill it up and throw it away.

I save little 2 oz jars too, they really come in handy for that little bit of oil. Since I don't fry much, I am guilt free about throwing away one or two on occasion. Sometimes you have leftovers that need throwing away too and may have more liquid than you want to put in the garbage. Just put them in one of these jars and throw them away.

I don't have a garbage disposal so this is the way I dispose of them. Keeps ants and animals away from my garbage can since they can't smell it in the jars.

I save those large juice containers for the times when I use my deep fryer for fish. I don't save fish oil so you have a lot of oil there. But one of the large juice containers works great. I use a funnel sometime to put in in the jar or just pour it into a measuring cup with a spout and that makes it easier to then pour it into the juice container. (08/26/2009)

By eve

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I put some of my bacon grease in my dog's dried dog food. (08/29/2009)

By darlene

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

Why dispose of your bacon grease? I keep ours and use it to make Roux. Then use this to thicken soups, stews and gravies (09/13/2009)

By Dave

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I use my g-spout to strain and then pour with no mess either my bacon grease into a old can with lid or for my old cooking oil I use my g-spout to pour it into a closed container and then I drop it off at my local Whole Foods where they in turn turn it into bio-diesel for their fleet. Never ever pour grease or oil down the sink, it is really bad for your sewer and county pipes as well as the environment. (10/05/2009)

By Kimber Ha

I save the jars and lids that I get whenever I purchase tomato sauce and mayonnaise. When I have bacon drippings or old oil from fried foods, I pour the fat into these jars. When the jar gets full, I put the top back on and put the jar in the trash. This will prevent your drains from being clogged with this oil and keep your trash cans from getting messy inside.

-Uyvonne

Answers:

Using Cans

Whenever I use something in a can, I rinse the can out. Then when I cook ground beef, I drain the fat into the can. When the fat has cooled and hardened, I throw away both with no mess and no fat sitting around!(11/20/2004)

By Camilla

I save cleaned out glass jars to drain grease from frying bacon or hamburger. I keep it under the sink tightly capped and collect the grease until it's about full and then I discard the jar.

By Moanagroana

Answers:

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Why dispose of bacon grease? Makes good seasoning for most vegetables. I keep it the year around in my refrigerator. (09/07/2004)

By Betty

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

I save the polyethylene bags supplied in supermarkets to put loose fruit and veg in, and use these to dispose of excess fat from sausages etc. I wipe it out of the cooking pan with a piece of kitchen paper and throw this away in the plastic bag too.

It avoids the problem of animals breaking into the rubbish sacks ("garbage" I believe, for you Americans!) when they are outside awaiting collection.

I am new today, and looking forward to a lot of interesting reading and useful tips on this site. I am in the UK so hope I don't offend anyone! (09/08/2004)

By Pat

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

I do the same thing except I use old yogurt cups and unrecyclable plastic ware or cans like Pringles can or Cool Whip containers. Glass stuff I can recycle. (09/10/2004)

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

After we empty a butter bowl, I wash it up to use as our "grease keeper". I store it with the lid on it in the freezer. When it gets full, I just trash the entire thing. (08/22/2005)

By Anna

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Bacon grease should not be disposed of but re-used with the same meal either as a sauce or spread. As it is a meat by-product, the grease can be stored fore several days in a fridge or several months in a freezer but do not mix it with other grease or fat products. If you are going to recycle the grease, do not pour or store it into a plastic container as a chemical reaction may occur - the plastic was never made to receive hot fats. Please use clean glass. (08/12/2006)

By Alan B Steele

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Just remember that bacon grease is saturated animal fat and needs to be balanced with other fats such as olive, and other vegetable oils.

I grew up on bacon grease in veggies and green beans with potatoes in a pot, just don't taste right without a bit of bacon grease cooked in.

However, we also have to care for our heart health and avoid obesity, so using other fats along with a bit of bacon is better. (08/15/2006)

By Judith Pier

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Does anyone have any USE for this stuff as opposed to just sending all this grease to a landfill? I hate to think of all of us just tossing this stuff out -- surely there must be some mutant maggots feeding off of this mess :) (02/29/2008)

By Monica

Disposing of Bacon and Other Grease

Hi Everyone, I have used bacon grease for years since the 70's. I have used it for many things like fried potatoes, depression gravy, veggies, fried eggs, and so on. Not good for you though but, oh! So good. Merry Christmas to all. (12/21/2008)

By Mary