Disposing of Receipts

Receipt on Cash
Keeping your personal information secure is important. This guide is about disposing of receipts.

For those of us who save receipts throughout the month in that envelope, shoebox, file etc, stop before you throw away the receipts at months end! Use the blank back side of receipts to write on! Perfect for making lists/writing small notes etc.

I have one of those little notepads (wooden one), with the clip at one end and I clip the receipts blank side up on that (envelopes, paperclips, staples can also be used).

You can even decoupage the pad with receipts (Yeah, yeah I love paper!).

Source: Myself and other Thriftyfunners who do this. ;)

By Caeridwen from Kent, OH

Should you shred or throw away receipts to places such as the grocery store, gas station, etc.?

By Liz

If I pay with a credit or debit card, I keep them till I get the statement or I hang on to them if I think I might need to return an item. I just throw them away when I am done with them. They don't contain the entire credit/debit card number, just the last 4, so the information is of no use to anyone. Shred if you like but it's not necessary.

Some grocery stores that have the club cards print your full name on the receipt (Safeway). I always chop or shred those. I know it is just a name but if you have a bag of trash and are not vigilant I suppose they could glean enough info from you in total. (Yep, I am paranoid. I shred just about everything with a name or address or number). Plus if the wind knocks over the garbage can like it does every week on collection day I don't want my name on the bag of my week's worth of "monthly" supplies. LOL.

I'm with Kaele. Even though it's probably not necessary, I tear up or shred everything. Someday I'll even manage to get my bag of shreds to the recycling center, lol!

Reading this post just made me think of something since I have no paper shredder and it's a much faster way of getting rids of those unwanted bill receipts or, any kind of letters and documents you will no longer use. Mine were all packed and put away in a box that only takes up too much space for now. So, I decided to put them into my smart chopper used for cutting up onions,plus, it saves on my garbage bill so, I don't have to change my trash as often and I even use it for "breakables" when sending out packages. I hope this give you a thought or two.