Dog Eating Its Own Feces

We have a Shih Tzu, it's about eleven weeks old and has started to eat its own poo every time it goes to the toilet. We have been told that this is natural, but there are products which can prevent them from doing this. We would be very grateful if anybody has some advice that would stop this.

Des from Ireland

Answers:

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

There is some stuff at PetSmart I just saw this past weekend, something along the lines of Yucky, Yucky Poo, you know a silly catchy name. Go to any pet store and they have a bitter agent that you add to the dog's food and it will make it stop. Then try out Cesar Milan for dog problems, he's a great resource for all dog problems.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/cesar.html (03/25/2007)

By michawnpita

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Yes, I have a 6 year old yellow Labrador Retriever that does this too. The vet said it's odd because usually only small pups do this (although, he is not all that bright, so...). There is an OTC food additive you can buy to add to their food to which makes the stool distasteful (like this is necessary?). It is expensive, but effective. The only problem is that once you stop the food additive, they resume the behavior. I guess you have to decide what you're willing to put up with. I'll bet we humans have behaviors that dogs think are odd or disgusting too (like brushing our teeth, bathing regularly, or (gasp) throwing away food). (03/27/2007)

By Debbie in SC

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My vet told us to put meat tenderizer on the poop. Must be it makes it nasty tasting. (03/27/2007)

By kseahag

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I heard that if you put flavor enhancer (one brand sold over here in the States is called "Accent" the ingredient is MSG or Monosodium Glutamate) on their food, that will stop them from eating the poo. Good luck. (03/27/2007)

By Lynn from CA

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I have read that pineapple fed to the dog will stop the disgusting habit. I have a puppymill rescue who has this nasty habit. I get her away from the poop and pick it up fast. Haven't tried the pineapple as yet, myself. (03/29/2007)

By daiquiri

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

We had a dog awhile back that did the same thing, our vet told us the dog wasn't getting all the nutrients it needed and when he did his job, he would go back and eat it. Vet said get a good kind of food for him and he will stop eating his own stuff. We found Old Roy dog food, seemed to do the trick. Never had the problem again. Just make sure there are extra minerals or such in the food, like us with our vitamins. (08/14/2007)

A dog licking his lips.
Dog Eating Its Own Feces
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green
🎉
🎄