Dog Getting Parvo Shot After Having Parvo

I just bought a one year old dog and she came down with Parvo the day after she came home. She just recently got the all clear from the vet. Our vet told us to come back when she is one hundred percent better to get her vaccinated.

I've been researching about it online and some people are saying that vaccinating a dog after it has survived Parvo could just make things worse. Should I go ahead and vaccinate her?

My other dog has been vaccinated, too. Is it still safe to keep him in the house and together with her?

By Nguyenn

Answers:

Yes, so your dog can live a good and happy life. (07/22/2009)

By gammer

Hey folks,
In my personal experience, doctors, and to some degree, veterinarians, may be trained professionals...trained in a medical school that preaches drugs and vaccines. They are romanced by drug companies. Many times the opinion that you may get can have a healthy dose of "drugs" or "vaccines" in it.

Opinions, personal experiences and one on one contact with others should be considered very seriously. Sometimes these are more accurate or sensible than what you may get from a trained professional. Bear in mind that profit and not necessarily good intentions can motivate those in the health care "business". Fortunately this is not always true.

I have personally found that when you exhaust the knowledge of your trained professional, they are often unwilling to dig deeper or look harder. The individual who will do the research will live longer.

I believe in emergency medicine, both human and veterinary. I also believe in keeping an open mind and drawing your own conclusions, because just slapping drugs and/or vaccines on a problem will probably end up killing you.

Now that I step off my soap box, I can say that I keep hearing of dogs getting Parvo after being vaccinated, rather like our soldiers coming down with anthrax after the vaccination for that one, too. I have not studied it enough to offer an educated opinion, but I surely would do some checking in to it.

Bravo for inquiring of the masses instead of just blindly accepting what you are told! (07/24/2009)

By Gina J.

Definitely get the shot. My vet said today if my dog gets better, then come back for the shot within 2 weeks. Right now I'm praying that my little buddy will go back for that shot. (08/07/2009)

By phileaglesfan