Dog Keeps Barking at Cats

My daughter just moved and her new landlord won't let her have a pet. She gave me her Yorkshire Terrier, Bella. She is sweet, the only problem is we have cats. Every time she sees them she barks and tugs on her leash. She won't settle down for a long time. How can I get her to stop barking and tolerate the cats?

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

I just adopted a second dog, who barks at my cats. He knows what the water bottle is about. I don't have to spray him (little does he know there is no water in it) I just show it to him and say, "No Bark." He's catching on. But like everything involved in dog training, you need to be consistent or they won't learn what you are trying to convey.

Thanks Beth, I may have to try the water bottle.

Thanks, i tried the waterbottle and she seems to be getting better. I know it will take awhile and i am trying to be consistent, Thank you, Dorothy

Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 25, 2011
A dog and cat sitting in at a table in a house looking at each other.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cats
Dog Barking
Neighbor's Dogs Bark All the Time
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Barking Dachshund
Training a Dog to Stop Barking