Dog Still Smells After a Bath

If giving your dog a bath does not eliminate a bad smell, you will need to try to determine the cause. This is a guide about when a dog still smells after a bath.

May 5, 2013 Flag

I have a 10 month old English Bulldog and 2 days after a bath he stinks my whole apartment up. If you pet him your hand stinks terribly. I am literally sick. I've tried everything that I could think of. If anyone knows of a good home remedy to help get rid of this odor please share. I need some help.

By Ava

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What can I do to get the stink off my dog? Do I need different food for her?

She scratches and she is half Rottweiler and half Pittbull, she smells bad even after a bath. What can I do? I love her she will be 6 yrs old on aug 28th.

Answer: My Lhasa apso mix, smelled awful as a puppy and would scratch and eat himself raw. Turns out he is allergic to beef. Make sure you don't give anything that your pup is allergic too. He reeked within hours after a bath. Had ear infections unremitting. Solution was very easy once we figured out it was a beef allergy. No beef treats, no beef canned food, no beef rawhides, no beef hooves, no beef nothing. Try a one ingredient diet. Also used otic solution with hydrocortisone off amazon if there are ear infections, cleared it right up and stopped feeding him what he was allergic too. For baths, I have since used grandpas tar soap , followed by any conditioner and he now has luxurious gorgeous hair. He smells fine now and his skin is much softer. Switched to Orijen. He is no longer miserable. Make sure noone gives the dog any beef of any kind if that species is the culprit, including hotdogs, bologna, vienna sausages. He once got sick years later and it turns out the chicken canned food from trader joes had beef as an ingredient. Check labels when changing foods. It's probably food allergens.

My dog smells bad even after bathing

have you tried vinegar.

Try benedryl it helped my dog and my vet said it's completely safe.

My dog had the same signs. Could you please enlighten me. Thank you lynda

Thank you, I was just wondering if it was because I changed from Salmon grain free to beef grain free. Will be switching back ASAP and hope I remember to come back and tell if it helped.

August 20, 2015 Flag

I wash my dog, an Airedale, once or twice a month. Yet within hours my wife complains that my dog stinks. He has hair, does not shed, and we wash him with pet soap and water in the bath. Still he does get ripe even for me after a few days. Nothing overwhelming, but I can pet him and it stays on my hand. What can I do about a 'hair' dog vs fur dog?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you "strip" her fur? The soft undercoat of the Airedale terrier traps moisture, oil and dirt.

Airedales do not naturally shed and require a human's help to shed this undercoat.

Here is a good link: http://groomblo  pet-terrier.html

I have a short hair dachsund and have the same problem. No amount of bathing seems to help the smell.

August 7, 2010 Flag

My dog always stinks. I give him a bath and a day or two later he stinks, what can I do?

By Gina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He may have a fine undercoat that won't let him get wet to the skin (we have 2 dogs like that).

The next time you bathe him, put just a very small amount of pine oil type cleaner in the tub, not more than a tablespoon, and that may help keep the odor away longer. The only way I was able to clean the 2 with the fine undercoat, was to shave the hair down, then bathe them.

Try a paste solution of water and baking soda.

It's delicate, softens skin, reduces itching, and rinses clean, and it's super inexpensive. I remember seeing this as a solution for stripping product buildup from (human) hair. A tip from a famous hair stylist.

The dog may be allergic to his food. Try a different food and if it still smells see your vet. I had a friend that had a Golden Retriever that was allergic to any food with a corn base to it.

I had the problem answer but just as I was about to send it the site timed out. Your dog has sebhorea and you must get a special shampoo or pills which ever your vet recomends after a blood test.

First I would make sure it's not an organic problem. Check with your vet to make sure there are no underlying medical issues such as disease, allergies, etc. If that is clear, examine your dogs diet. It may be something that you are feeding him is causing an odor.

Your dog may have YEAST...that would make him smell (and itch).

You can checkout Nzymes.com. Giving my dog that AND giving him a grain free diet has helped us with this issue.

September 27, 2013 Flag

My dog Gizmo, a Shih Tzu, stinks 5 minutes after I give him a bath. I do not know why?

By Tyler

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It could be that the anal glands need to be emptied, or it could be a yeast situation on the skin.

Here is a video about expressing anal glands in small dogs...

http://youtu.be/vywTCnjKX4k

Here is a site that talks about yeast and how to get rid of it by various methods:

http://www.grea  _mini_course.htm

Blessings, Robyn

April 3, 2014 Flag

My dog smells a day after being given a bath. I have 3 dogs and feed them high end food.

By Jjp

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's possible that his anal glands need to be expressed. When they need to be expressed, it doesn't matter how often you give him a bath, the anal is still giving off the odor. You can do it yourself (look it up on youtube to see how), take him to the vet, or take him to a groomer.

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 30, 2013
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 11:13:09 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.