Dog Still Smells After a Bath

If giving your dog a bath does not eliminate a bad smell, you will need to try to determine the cause. This is a guide about when a dog still smells after a bath.

dog bathing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I wash my dog, an Airedale, once or twice a month. Yet within hours my wife complains that my dog stinks. He has hair, does not shed, and we wash him with pet soap and water in the bath. Still he does get ripe even for me after a few days. Nothing overwhelming, but I can pet him and it stays on my hand. What can I do about a 'hair' dog vs fur dog?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you "strip" her fur? The soft undercoat of the Airedale terrier traps moisture, oil and dirt.

Airedales do not naturally shed and require a human's help to shed this undercoat.

Here is a good link: http://groomblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/hand-stripping-your-pet-terrier.html

My dog Gizmo, a Shih Tzu, stinks 5 minutes after I give him a bath. I do not know why?

By Tyler

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It could be that the anal glands need to be emptied, or it could be a yeast situation on the skin.

Here is a video about expressing anal glands in small dogs...

http://youtu.be/vywTCnjKX4k

Here is a site that talks about yeast and how to get rid of it by various methods:

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/systemic_yeast_mini_course.htm

Blessings, Robyn

My dog always stinks. I give him a bath and a day or two later he stinks, what can I do?

By Gina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog may have YEAST...that would make him smell (and itch).

You can checkout Nzymes.com. Giving my dog that AND giving him a grain free diet has helped us with this issue.

Read More Answers...

My dog smells a day after being given a bath. I have 3 dogs and feed them high end food.

By Jjp

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's possible that his anal glands need to be expressed. When they need to be expressed, it doesn't matter how often you give him a bath, the anal is still giving off the odor. You can do it yourself (look it up on youtube to see how), take him to the vet, or take him to a groomer.

I have a 10 month old English Bulldog and 2 days after a bath he stinks my whole apartment up. If you pet him your hand stinks terribly. I am literally sick. I've tried everything that I could think of. If anyone knows of a good home remedy to help get rid of this odor please share. I need some help.

By Ava

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does he scratch constantly? Does the fur on his head feel greasy? If yes, it sounds like your dog has seborreah which is a genetic problem and horrible to deal with. People would walk in our house and ask "what's that smell". I cleaned constantly and couldn't make it go away. After spending close to $5,000 over a three year period for medications, including steroids, vet bills, medicated shampoos we finally have it under control. There is no cure. If you find out that this is what your dog has and you would like my advice on how to control it, pls e-mail me back and I will explain it to you. Our dog is a rescue and we love him to death. It is so good to see him no longer scratching.

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 30, 2013
    Lilac Bubble Bath
    Lilac Bubble Bath
    Organizing Bath Toys
    Organizing Bath Toys
    Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
    Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
    Stack of colorful towels.
    Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 8:45:24 PM on 10.0.2.18 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.