Dog Still Smells After a Bath

If giving your dog a bath does not eliminate a bad smell, you will need to try to determine the cause. This is a guide about when a dog still smells after a bath.

dog bathing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 20, 2015 Flag

I wash my dog, an Airedale, once or twice a month. Yet within hours my wife complains that my dog stinks. He has hair, does not shed, and we wash him with pet soap and water in the bath. Still he does get ripe even for me after a few days. Nothing overwhelming, but I can pet him and it stays on my hand. What can I do about a 'hair' dog vs fur dog?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you "strip" her fur? The soft undercoat of the Airedale terrier traps moisture, oil and dirt.

Airedales do not naturally shed and require a human's help to shed this undercoat.

Here is a good link: http://groomblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/hand-stripping-your-pet-terrier.html

May 5, 2013 Flag

I have a 10 month old English Bulldog and 2 days after a bath he stinks my whole apartment up. If you pet him your hand stinks terribly. I am literally sick. I've tried everything that I could think of. If anyone knows of a good home remedy to help get rid of this odor please share. I need some help.

By Ava

Does he scratch constantly? Does the fur on his head feel greasy? If yes, it sounds like your dog has seborreah which is a genetic problem and horrible to deal with. People would walk in our house and ask "what's that smell". I cleaned constantly and couldn't make it go away. After spending close to $5,000 over a three year period for medications, including steroids, vet bills, medicated shampoos we finally have it under control. There is no cure. If you find out that this is what your dog has and you would like my advice on how to control it, pls e-mail me back and I will explain it to you. Our dog is a rescue and we love him to death. It is so good to see him no longer scratching.

My dog does the same thing please help

My dog is half English Bulldog and half lab. We have been using medicated shampoo about every 4 days yet she still smell ands can't stop scatching, what was your magic to help your dog feel better?

August 7, 2010 Flag

My dog always stinks. I give him a bath and a day or two later he stinks, what can I do?

By Gina

The dog may be allergic to his food. Try a different food and if it still smells see your vet. I had a friend that had a Golden Retriever that was allergic to any food with a corn base to it.

I had the problem answer but just as I was about to send it the site timed out. Your dog has sebhorea and you must get a special shampoo or pills which ever your vet recomends after a blood test.

First I would make sure it's not an organic problem. Check with your vet to make sure there are no underlying medical issues such as disease, allergies, etc. If that is clear, examine your dogs diet. It may be something that you are feeding him is causing an odor.

Your dog may have YEAST...that would make him smell (and itch).

You can checkout Nzymes.com. Giving my dog that AND giving him a grain free diet has helped us with this issue.

Read More Answers...

September 27, 2013 Flag

My dog Gizmo, a Shih Tzu, stinks 5 minutes after I give him a bath. I do not know why?

By Tyler

It could be that the anal glands need to be emptied, or it could be a yeast situation on the skin.

Here is a video about expressing anal glands in small dogs...

http://youtu.be/vywTCnjKX4k

Here is a site that talks about yeast and how to get rid of it by various methods:

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/systemic_yeast_mini_course.htm

Blessings, Robyn

April 3, 2014 Flag

My dog smells a day after being given a bath. I have 3 dogs and feed them high end food.

By Jjp

It's possible that his anal glands need to be expressed. When they need to be expressed, it doesn't matter how often you give him a bath, the anal is still giving off the odor. You can do it yourself (look it up on youtube to see how), take him to the vet, or take him to a groomer.

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 30, 2013
    Lilac Bubble Bath
    Lilac Bubble Bath
    Organizing Bath Toys
    Organizing Bath Toys
    Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
    Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
    Stack of colorful towels.
    Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:17:06 AM on 10.0.0.6 in 799 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.