Dog Smells After Bathing

I have a 10 month old English Bulldog and 2 days after a bath he stinks my whole apartment up. If you pet him your hand stinks terribly. I am literally sick. I've tried everything that I could think of. If anyone knows of a good home remedy to help get rid of this odor please share. I need some help.

By Ava H.

Does he scratch constantly? Does the fur on his head feel greasy? If yes, it sounds like your dog has seborreah which is a genetic problem and horrible to deal with. People would walk in our house and ask "what's that smell". I cleaned constantly and couldn't make it go away. After spending close to $5,000 over a three year period for medications, including steroids, vet bills, medicated shampoos we finally have it under control. There is no cure. If you find out that this is what your dog has and you would like my advice on how to control it, pls e-mail me back and I will explain it to you. Our dog is a rescue and we love him to death. It is so good to see him no longer scratching.

Anonymous

Our dog is also a rescue and seems to have the same thing. His greasy, waxy place is on his back though. What did you do for it?

Anonymous

Hi, I am having the same exact problem with my peek, no matter what I do, she stinks, constant scratching, and her odor is so bad that it sticks with you. Please help. Ty

Anonymous

Hi. I have a Rhodesian ridgeback mix. I brought him back from Costa Rico. He seems to have this skin problem frequently.

I thought it may be due to the change in environment. We currently live in Sacramento, ca. Any help will be appreciated

My dog does the same thing please help

My dog is half English Bulldog and half lab. We have been using medicated shampoo about every 4 days yet she still smell ands can't stop scatching, what was your magic to help your dog feel better?

Please let me know how you got rid of the smell my dog is 6 yrs old 1/2 rottweiler and 1/2 pitt bull.

What can I do to get the stink off my dog? Do I need different food for her?

She scratches and she is half Rottweiler and half Pittbull, she smells bad even after a bath. What can I do? I love her she will be 6 yrs old on aug 28th.

Anonymous

have you tried vinegar.

Try benedryl it helped my dog and my vet said it's completely safe.

My dog had the same signs. Could you please enlighten me. Thank you lynda

Please help! My dog is a rescue she stinks after bath and always scratching

Try applying johnsons powder or baking soda.

Yes please help, our Golden stinks bad, scratches all the time. We've given him flea treatments, comfortis, bath with hypo shampoo and conditioner but still stinks 24 hours after a bath.

Lance, ltamyo@gmail.com

Please send your recommendations! I've wasted more $ than I can afford on vet's guesswork. So far, nothing, short of bathing her every other day keeps my beautiful 2 y/o dobie from a horrible doggie stench within the 1st day or 2 after bathing her, & rinsing w/vinegar. Any advice is welcome & appreciated! Josiegeo@aol.com

Please send your recommendations! I've wasted more $ than I can afford on vet's guesswork. So far, nothing, short of bathing her every other day keeps my beautiful 2 y/o dobie from a horrible doggie stench within the 1st day or 2 after bathing her, & rinsing w/vinegar.

Any advice is welcome & appreciated! Josiegeo@aol.com

How did you get stinky smell from bulldog?

I would like to know what finally was the ending cure to get rid of the Oder. We have the same issue right now.

My dog scratches contiueasly always lucky her feet as well all the time and smells only couple days after her bath thankyou

I also have a rescue dog. She is a senior and is always scratching and biting at herself. She does not have fleas.

I bathe her with a very gentle holistic soap, but the next day she smells again.
Please tell me what worked for you.
Thanks, Margaret

I moved here 1 -1/2 ago in PA with myboyfriend and he picked up his dog at his moms and the poor dog gots a odor i wash her every 2 day but her smell is nasty cant get rid of it.Help

Hi. My 8 year old chihuahua is bad smelly just hours after a bath. Its the worst smell, so bad that you cannot pet him without smelling like he does. To be honest he smells like some old stale cheetos or something and he sweats.

I know people say dogs dont have sweat glands but yes, my chihuahua does sweat and will be wet under his arms when picking him up at times. Hes smell terrible!! Please let me know what i can do to rid this smell from him. Thanks!

Hi, I also rescued a dog and he sounds like your dog to a tee. The scratching, biting at his feet, having scabs, greasy feeling fur and smelling. I would be so happy if I could relieve him of it all.
Thank you so much for your article!
Nancy

Sounds like an allergic reaction or a yeast infection. I would recommend a vet visit and maybe a grain free food

Hello I have a long haired chihuahua and I think he might have that seborrhea issue,. He scratches a lot and I've noticed that his hair looks kind of oily within 2 days after I bathe him. And so I'm just wondering what you did to your dog to help him so he would be better please respond thank you very much

Yes, the fur on her head feels greasy. I just gave her a bath using a medicated shampoo, waiting to see what happens. She just started this, this past summer she will be 3 in the spring. Yes the whole house smells, she scratches and scratches open sores, I'm going to get her a cone tomorrow

Our fur baby (12 years old) has the same thing. Smells horrible, scratches herself all the time often to the point of bleeding and sores. Please help

What did u do to make the smell go away.

How do I get my dog to stop smelling even right after a bath

Anonymous

Yes help please. My dog has the same issue. What did you do?

Yes help!

Wow I would luv to know my johnnycash stinks after two days from his bath and always inching and breaking out with bumps

My boy sticks every 3 day sounds just like yours .can you tell me what helps ..?

I'm having the same problem with my pet. Please help.

Pug smells bad after bath no greasy hair smells good before bath

My last three dogs over a 40 year period have all been rescue dogs. We have a Rhodesian mix. the day after a bath he smells. within two days after scratching starts.i use oatmeal shampoo and hydrocortisone wash. I need help please. love my dog

My French bulldog is the smell the smell is horrible it stinks up the house not even a day after grooming he smells bad again and when I hold him on the pits its sweaty and smells horrible and sticks does anyone have any suggestions? He gets regular baths ears teeth anal fold cleans 2x a week and still and no infection and allergies are controlled from food which is grain so we dont give any grains

This sounds like my dog!!! Weve done it all to no end and spent a lot. Hes gotten allergy shots etc please help!!

Help, my 6 year old Shih Tzu stinks!

What did you do about the smell

im going though that. my dog is half pug/shiz and when i give him a bath two days later he smells again and my place smells .

My daughter has an American bull dog with allergies and we have tried everything to cure this but not luck yet. she just had a bath three days ago and now she stinks again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have a little rescue dog, she has a bad smell ,even after her bath

My dog is a pit I just wanted to know is there anything I can put in him yes my daughters walk in my house and ask whats that smell just want something to put in him to keep him from smelling like hes been running outside

I would love to know how you got your dogs seborreah under control sometimes I think things I tried have just made it worse..my poor puppy is miserable! Thanks!

What did you do to stop the smell on your dog?

Iam have the same problem my dog does have a skin problem iam interested in what u do yes my dog skin stink after 3 days....

My dog is also a rescue and has this same problem. She is almost 9 now and it seems to be worse. Please help

Anonymous

Would love to know how you got your dog from stinking after a bath I have the same problem help would be appreciated

I have a 2 year old baby..., he scratches and his fur is greasy.. it does not matter how much fabreeze i use and candles i use and baths he takes and bleach in the kitchen it always smells! please help

I need your help I have a small dog that is a Pomeranian mix and I can't get the smell from him I feel so bad for him he scratches and his hair is greasy and he smells it's embarrassing and I've tried things to can you please help me

Yes my golden is constantly scratching and the smell is horrible

what did you do. my dog has a curly hair and others are turning into like rugs. i hate the smell but i love my adopted dog. i wash him for 10 minutes and let it try under the sun then pow after aan hour here comes again the bad smell

Just read your post. We just rescued a dog and she smells terrible. I have to wash my hands every time I touch her! We had her groomed & washed and she doesn't smell any better. Would love your suggestions. Thanks

Please tell me how to help my dog.

My Yorkie is 2yrs of age,He has a smell about a day after bath I can't harly stand it,he scratches a lot,no greasy spots,I love him to death , but I just can't cut the smell,can you please help reasonable if you can,I'm on fixed income and can't afford a lot of things,thanks so much!

Try mixing extra strong mints with his food. He might still smell a bit but his breath will be ok.

Can you let me know what you did to keep it under control?

I have a 10 yo chiquaqua that is strictly a house dog other than walks. I bath him about once a week with tick and flea shampoo... then for smell, use some of my conditioner. In 2 days he smells again!! What can I do? He doesnt scratch his skin or act like his anus is clogged up. He went to vet and had 2 abscesses teeth pulled. No ear infection I can see.
Is there a particular shampoo/rinse I can use to help? How bout a spray to help? Thanks. Jeff clark

I have the same problem, please help!

I have the same problem. I have a poodle and she stinks even after a bath. Please help!

I read about your rescue dog and the problem with smelling and scratching after a grooming. We just adopted a dog from a rescue and have had her a month and just gave her a second professional grooming thinking it would help because we didn't bathe her properly and she still smells. I would like very much to know what you did to help with this problem. Please help.
Thank you
Geri

I think this is what my schnauzer has, how did you get this under control? Please help

Please. If u could give me the remedy for getting rid of the after bath odor on my dog it would be greatly appreciated.
My email is dywayne72@gmail.com
Thank u,
Juanita n baby

Hi , My name is Jeff and I would love to know what you do for getting rid of your dogs smell thanks

Hello my dog is a rescue. Hes a beautiful chihuahua, beagle and dashund mix. I cant bath him every day and the weekly clean bath smell lasts as long as hes in his wash tub. Thank you for any homeopathic solutions.

I have a rescue English bulldog and 2 days after a bath he stinks like toe jam. and I have done the same all different kinds of shampoos, food and shots for allergy and still same thing. please tell me what you did to get over this cause my wife is going nuts and wants me to give him back and I love him so much

I am having the same problem with my 8yr old Yorkie. The problem started about 5 yrs ago (after moving to SE GA). Was told by vet that she has skin allergies. We changed her diet several times but nothing helped. She itches so bad she needs a steroid shot every 2 mo. The shots do help but she looks greasy & smells so horrible, even after bathing. She is so sweet but she makes the whole house stink. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! TIA

omg!who have 5000 for this i love my dog to death but even if i would like to pay this money i don't have the money! my dog always stink and oily shed 24/7 i lost all people from my life no one come over in my apartment b/c the dog hair and the smell! i try everything nothing stop him to smell bad and shed i dont think i can do that any longer!i did not choose to have a dog i pick the pore baby from the street he was a stray dog ! big 65 lb pit bull i put him up to a craigslist no one claim him i thoroughly stuck with him i fostered him here and there family and good friend but 1 or 2 month's hie's back again ! no one can handle the odor and the hair!

no cure !!!! immune system diseases!! cost a lots of money i wish i was rich !!

Could you tell me wat you used plZ as my dog is suffering the same thing.Thankyou

I have a pit and baths dont help what can I do

I have an English Bulldog n I constantly bathe him but he has a bad body odor. I thought maybe it was the brand of dog food, I used mouth wipes, but he still smells. My apt n his sleeping area are cleaned constantly but he smells bad the day after a bath, he's inside except to go bathroom so I know he's not rolling around in something that stink. Could you give me any suggestions on how to remedy this problem.He didn't smell as a puppy til he started growing

My dog has all the symptoms you are describing. I have tried everything and nothing is working. Would you be able to email and let me know what you did that finally worked for you? It would be greatly appreciated.

I believe my bug (Boston terrier/pug) has this problem. I have tried everything . Would love to hear ur ideas. Thank you, Robin

Fight bacteria: increase dog temperature for at lease 30 min a day for three day: hot bath, some 50ml alcohol drink of 40 percent vol 2 to 3 time a day for there day lots of water take dog for longer walk. Feed with dog food that have + immune during those days.
Don't let any water on the cranial area.
Absolutely no water to the ear.
Get ride of dog bed if any
Disinfect dag sleep area and play area with just soapy water.
Take care

I have a blue heeler and my husband says after maybe 2-3 days after her bath she is rancid. Idk what else to do. Any suggestion would b wonderful

I just got my dog a month ago it's a shitzu and poodle and he was just groomed two weeks ago and he smells and scratches constantly please help I can't afford that kind of money at a vet

I bath my dog regularly. She is predominantly a house and only goes out for walks and bathroom in the yard WITHIN 2 day of her bath she is scratching and smells so bad. I give her drops for her ears. Help

My dog was suffering from hot spots and some sort of yeast infection on her skin. It was really difficult to deal with and she had a bad odor as well. This might be similar to what is happening to your dog. Our vet gave us a medicated shampoo which really seemed to help.

Good luck, I hope you find the solution for your furbaby.

Answer: My Lhasa apso mix, smelled awful as a puppy and would scratch and eat himself raw. Turns out he is allergic to beef. Make sure you don't give anything that your pup is allergic too. He reeked within hours after a bath. Had ear infections unremitting. Solution was very easy once we figured out it was a beef allergy. No beef treats, no beef canned food, no beef rawhides, no beef hooves, no beef nothing. Try a one ingredient diet. Also used otic solution with hydrocortisone off amazon if there are ear infections, cleared it right up and stopped feeding him what he was allergic too. For baths, I have since used grandpas tar soap , followed by any conditioner and he now has luxurious gorgeous hair. He smells fine now and his skin is much softer. Switched to Orijen. He is no longer miserable. Make sure noone gives the dog any beef of any kind if that species is the culprit, including hotdogs, bologna, vienna sausages. He once got sick years later and it turns out the chicken canned food from trader joes had beef as an ingredient. Check labels when changing foods. It's probably food allergens.

Thank you, I was just wondering if it was because I changed from Salmon grain free to beef grain free. Will be switching back ASAP and hope I remember to come back and tell if it helped.

My dog smells bad even after bathing

I have a wonderful doggie skin vet who found a drug called Cytopoint. It's not a steroid but acts like one. I rescued a Lhasa who had horrible allergies and now has nasty yeast. Impossible to get rid of but he no longer scratches. It's a wonder drug. Not cheap but worth it to me. I use a for yeast shampoo on him and bathe him every 4 days. Different times of year are worse than others. Oh yeah, he stinks. After 3 days, it's time for a bath. Also rinse his feet, the worst offenders in 2/3water to 1/3 vinegar. It helps. I hope this helps some of you