Dog Urine Stains and Smell Off Furniture

How do I get dog urine smell out of couch? I have tried several products from febreeze to products from pet stores. Still no luck getting rid of the smell, what else can I do?

Cec Kennedy from Burns, KS

Answers:

If the urine has actually soaked into the couch upholstery, you're pretty much out of luck because you'll never get deep enough to get it. For surface cleaning, vinegar and water is the best. Never use ammonia; ammonia is a component of urine and it will just encourage the animal to reuse the same spot. (03/05/2007)

By Marna

Spray it with hydrogen peroxide. let dry. Repeat if needed. (03/05/2007)

By msettamae2

Simply try some baking soda, I do for the carpet in our computer room and it seems to do the trick. Just sprinkle on, let sit overnight and vacuum up. (03/05/2007)

By S in Tampa, FL

Get an enzymatic cleaner (Urine Gone, Nature's Miracle, etc.). Walmart has a couple of versions; just make sure it says somewhere on the bottle that it has enzymes. Then, the trick is to totally saturate the area and LET AIR DRY. Don't add cleaner, dilute it w/ water, or add any other substance. You have to leave it alone to let the enzyme action work and if the area was previously treated w/ some other type of cleaner, you may have to do several applications. You can buy urine gone w/ a black light that will light up the urine areas in the dark. It works well. As long as the area is still "lighting up", keep applying the enzymatic cleaner. Once the area no longer lights up, you can go back over it w/ cleaner if needed. (The urine gone discolored my carpets where I sprayed it but the spots came out completely w/ regular steam cleaning after the enzymatic cleaner had done it's work.) (03/05/2007)

By nancyec

Grey Cat Sitting on Blue Chair
Removing Pet Urine Smell from Furniture
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄