Removing Pet Urine Smell from Furniture

Category Furniture
If you have a pet urinate on your furniture you know how difficult it is to clean up. Even if you get to it right away the smell can still linger for a longtime afterward. This is a page about removing pet urine smell from furniture.

Related Product:

Try one of the enzyme soak products. I use Natures Miracle. All the pet stores have them. Soak the spot well and allow it to dry naturally. Drying can take a day or more depending on how deep the liquid went. Make sure to get the soak as deep as the original accident went. When it is dry the smell will be gone. On occasion I have had to repeat if I was not able to get most of the original accident out before treating. Good luck.

My small dog keeps peeing on my couch, clothes, anywhere possible. The problem I have is I'd like to get rid of the smell and deter my dog from peeing inside. Can anyone help please.

By Tabatha

Answers

Best Answer

Often animals pee on your clothes in an effort to blend their smell with yours. This behavior can come from anxiety. Make sure you spend enough time with your pet so he feels confident in your relationship.

Might be a good idea to have him checked for a bladder infection too. Natures Miracle enzyme product can get rid of urine smells. If it is something you can wash, put 1/3 cup Borax (Borateem) in your wash.

Best Answer

You need an enzymatic cleaner. Pet stores sell enzymatic carpet and upholstery cleaners just for this purpose. Use a small black light to be sure it's clean. They sell these as well. In the laundry, use an enzymatic cleaner such as OxyClean.

I had a large dog that leaked urine when she slept on the couch. How do I remove that smell?

By Glory from Franklin Lakes, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

In general, baking soda works really well as a deodorant. In the past when something smelly has happened to my couch, I sprinkle baking soda on it, leave it for a couple of hours, then vacuum it up.

Best Answer

If the urine has turned the wood black you may not be able to get the black out. You could try sanding it down to see how far the wood has turned black. The process of "fuming with ammonia" was used in mission style furniture to darken the wood. The ammonia reacts with the tannins in the wood and turns it dark. The same thing happens when the dog urine breaks down into ammonia.

You could fume with ammonia to get the rest of the wood the same color. I think it is as easy as putting the furniture in a large plastic enclosure or some other enclosure and putting a pan of ammonia in with it.

To get rid of any urine smell on the furniture you need to use a bacterial product like Natures Miracle or Ridex. Apply it and cover with plastic for a few days. It needs to stay moist for the bacteria to break down the organic matter in the urine.

Best Answer

I just learned and have tried this for urine stains on wood floors. Use peroxide. Wet the area with peroxide and let it dry over night.

As the peroxide dries the floor lightens. We had to do it for 3 days to get the right coloring. Good luck

After my father died I had the task of cleaning out his house. He had many cats and two dogs inside and he never really cleaned out the litter box so after years of that his house smelled really badly of urine and feces. I am trying to sell some of the wood furniture, but I need to get the smells out. I've seen stuff for if the cats urinated on the furniture, but not just odors like the wood has. Is there something out there for that?

Answers

Best Answer

Since this is furniture you are trying to clean it may be okay to clean outside but not to leave outside and should not be in hot sunlight.

If you have large pieces it will be very expensive to purchase commercial Enzyme Cleaners as you have to wet each spot and any spot you miss will definitely retain the odor; even if it's only the odor from being in the same room as cat odors have been.

I believe you can use some other methods since these odors do not appear to be directly from pet urine but only from the air.

There are several excellent guides on YouTube but here are a couple of links to check out.
I can say that I have used a weak solution of ammonia and water and while it takes uses damp clothes reaching every spot it does a good job and is very economical. The biggest problem with using Ammonia is the whole area HAS to be well ventilated and the use of gloves is highly recommended.
Always use cool water and mix a few tablespoons of Ammonia in a quart of water - use a bowl with rags or a spray bottle with lots of clean cloths.

You will be amazed at what this cleaner will remove.

refinishingfurniture.net/.../

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-remove-urine-odor-from-wood

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-remove-cat-urine-from-wooden...

What do I use to get pet urine odor out of my furniture? Please help, I hate the smell.

By Janet

Answers

Best Answer

My dog keeps peeing on my sofa. I had it steam cleaned and it still smells.

Answers

Best Answer

I used Lysol liquid to clean and sanitize the area and then put some baking soda on the wet area. Let it dry for a few hours and vacuum it up. Then I sprinkled some more baking soda on the area and left it there. Worked fine for removing the stain and smell.

My kids have a plastic picnic table that we keep outside under our carport. A tom has sprayed it and now it reeks to high heaven. Anyone know a way to get rid of the smell?

Thanks, KC

Answers

Best Answer

I would try spraying it with full strength white vinegar. I know vinegar will remove odors from plastic containers so I think it might just work on your table. Put on the vinegar and let dry (you might have to do this several times) then scrub with soap and hot water.

I am the caregiver for my father with dementia. He is now in diapers. However he still, at times. pees thru. The smell of his urine is extremely concentrated since it is hard to get him to drink. He pees so much more than he drinks. I don't get it. However he has had accidents on almost all my furniture in the last 5 months. I have been using OdoBan, but this is no longer working. I have placed pee pads on my furniture, that I wash every other day even if they have not been wet! I can't seem to get the smell of old man urine out of my furniture. Help! With the warm weather it is just getting worse.

Answers

I think you are just going to have to do your best, using febreeze, odoban, etc., and then replace the furniture once he's gone. You have my deepest sympathy. It's hard both physically and mentally to care for a loved one who has dementia. Hang in there and God bless you for doing this for your Father.

So sorry about this.
Dena is right. Do what you can with what you've got. Replace the furniture when he's gone.

What is a good way to get cat urine and cat smell out of furniture?

By tommi

Answers

Best Answer

I bought some stuff called BioMatic from my vet. It worked great!

What product can I use to eliminate urine smells, cat and dog, the ammonia smell, from wood furniture? It has not been urinated on, the smell from the area soaked into the wood. I am looking for a product to spray or wipe on to destroy this odor on the furniture wood and metal.

By John W. from Whitehall, MI

Answers

Try using water and vinegar 1/2 and 1/2 in spray bottle and use a scrub brush after spraying wood with solution.

Vinegar and water 50/50 plus a few drops of lemon or a citrus oil, wash down area, let dry,then doorway around area needed as the urine has spread out. Let sit for at least10 min. Wipe up. Repeat as necessary. If really bad, hubby washed with bleach when we bought a fixer upper. That took most or,then I used the solution above.

How do I remove old dog urine buildup from hardwood furniture? The urine is so thick I could use a scraper, but would damage the wood.

By Mark from Whidbey Island

Answers

Personally I would throw the furniture out.

How do you remove urine stains from a couch? My dog submissively peed a little, but now when we sit down (after cleaning it and Febreezing it), you get a whiff of urine. How do I get rid of that without getting rid of the couch?

Joanna from Albany, NY

Answers:

Dog Urine Stains and Smell Off Furniture

Pet urine can be removed with outright pet odor eliminator. You can purchase it at Petco, Pet Smart, or Walmart pet dept. Follow the directions. More difficult odor might require a professional deep clean in furniture. May require that the furniture be saturated and extracted with a truck mount. There are many methods that pros use that might scare a home owner to try on their own. These various methods require specialist trained in the field so the furniture can be reused. Mattresses are a common urine source, both human and animal. Good luck. (04/03/2008)

By Atlanta luster kleen

Cleaning with vinegar or anything like that will only attract the animal back to the smell because it is citric, like their urine. Make a mixture of 1/4 cup tea tree oil and 1 cup water, spray area right away with the mixture and let sit as long as possible. Before site dries, use a chamois with books on it to add pressure to the area, that should help. If you can sprinkle baking soda to the area every day for about a week, and when you come home, use a brush to really dig it down in and let it sit again for an hour, then vacuum. This usually works. (12/07/2008)

By Joanne

The enzyme products work the best. I would be careful of the home made solutions - sometimes they cause more damage. I like the products from www.getthesmellout.com.

You can get the urine out of furniture cushions if you saturate the area. Give it some time to work. Re: the cushion with just water. Put the cushion into a plastic garbage bag and use a shop vac to suck the bag - like the vac storage bags on the infomercials. You will be able to extract most of the water out. (01/11/2009)

By Rob

I have been cleaning an 8x8 foot section of stinky pee from my bad little pomapoo for the last few days. I'd guess I went over it about 20 times with my steam cleaner and Bissel pet stain solution. The stains are gone, but the smell is enough to knock out a sumo wrestler. Amazing how a 5 pound dog can cause this amount of rank! I just tried Listerine mixed with white vinegar and can smell an instant improvement! I think there's a light at the end of this pee tunnel. Thanks! (01/20/2009)

By Robyn

(Submitted via email)

Thanks for all the help but I found that a simple solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and white vinegar will help get rid of the color. I'm going to try a little Borax later on to get rid of the odor of the doggie pee and the vinegar. You may use this on your website if you want, but all in all I would like it if you give me a little bit of credit, but you can still use it. =) Thanks again for all your help, and for your time (to read this message). It really helped me a lot. Oh yeah, my dog thanks you as well (for keeping him out of really big trouble). =) (02/16/2009)

By Sally

How do I get cat pee smell out of my furniture?

By Sarah from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

My vet recommended Vodka, actually. Just mildly soak the stain and let it dry. It won't remove the stain just the smell. (08/27/2010)

By Erik

We have a cat that seems to have a problem holding his bladder. He has urinated on our furniture in his sleep. How do we get rid of the smell?

How to get rid of cat urine odor on a cloth chair?

Load More

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureAugust 20, 2011
😎
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf444236.tip.html