Removing Pet Urine Smell from Furniture

Category Furniture
If you have a pet urinate on your furniture you know how difficult it is to clean up. Even if you get to it right away the smell can still linger for a longtime afterward. This is a guide about removing pet urine smell from furniture.

Try one of the enzyme soak products. I use Natures Miracle. All the pet stores have them. Soak the spot well and allow it to dry naturally. Drying can take a day or more depending on how deep the liquid went. Make sure to get the soak as deep as the original accident went. When it is dry the smell will be gone. On occasion I have had to repeat if I was not able to get most of the original accident out before treating. Good luck.

My small dog keeps peeing on my couch, clothes, anywhere possible. The problem I have is I'd like to get rid of the smell and deter my dog from peeing inside. Can anyone help please.

By Tabatha

Answers

Best Answer

Often animals pee on your clothes in an effort to blend their smell with yours. This behavior can come from anxiety. Make sure you spend enough time with your pet so he feels confident in your relationship.

Might be a good idea to have him checked for a bladder infection too. Natures Miracle enzyme product can get rid of urine smells. If it is something you can wash, put 1/3 cup Borax (Borateem) in your wash.

Best Answer

You need an enzymatic cleaner. Pet stores sell enzymatic carpet and upholstery cleaners just for this purpose. Use a small black light to be sure it's clean. They sell these as well. In the laundry, use an enzymatic cleaner such as OxyClean.

I had a large dog that leaked urine when she slept on the couch. How do I remove that smell?

By Glory from Franklin Lakes, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

In general, baking soda works really well as a deodorant. In the past when something smelly has happened to my couch, I sprinkle baking soda on it, leave it for a couple of hours, then vacuum it up.

Best Answer

If the urine has turned the wood black you may not be able to get the black out. You could try sanding it down to see how far the wood has turned black. The process of "fuming with ammonia" was used in mission style furniture to darken the wood. The ammonia reacts with the tannins in the wood and turns it dark. The same thing happens when the dog urine breaks down into ammonia.

You could fume with ammonia to get the rest of the wood the same color. I think it is as easy as putting the furniture in a large plastic enclosure or some other enclosure and putting a pan of ammonia in with it.

To get rid of any urine smell on the furniture you need to use a bacterial product like Natures Miracle or Ridex. Apply it and cover with plastic for a few days. It needs to stay moist for the bacteria to break down the organic matter in the urine.

Best Answer

I just learned and have tried this for urine stains on wood floors. Use peroxide. Wet the area with peroxide and let it dry over night. As the peroxide dries the floor lightens. We had to do it for 3 days to get the right coloring. Good luck

What do I use to get pet urine odor out of my furniture? Please help, I hate the smell.

By Janet

Answers

Best Answer

My dog keeps peeing on my sofa. I had it steam cleaned and it still smells.

Answers

Best Answer

I used Lysol liquid to clean and sanitize the area and then put some baking soda on the wet area. Let it dry for a few hours and vacuum it up. Then I sprinkled some more baking soda on the area and left it there. Worked fine for removing the stain and smell.

My kids have a plastic picnic table that we keep outside under our carport. A tom has sprayed it and now it reeks to high heaven. Anyone know a way to get rid of the smell?

Thanks, KC

Answers

Best Answer

I would try spraying it with full strength white vinegar. I know vinegar will remove odors from plastic containers so I think it might just work on your table. Put on the vinegar and let dry (you might have to do this several times) then scrub with soap and hot water.

What is a good way to get cat urine and cat smell out of furniture?

By Tommi

Answers

Best Answer

I bought some stuff called BioMatic from my vet. It worked great!

How do I remove old dog urine buildup from hardwood furniture? The urine is so thick I could use a scraper, but would damage the wood.

By Mark from Whidbey Island

Answers

Personally I would throw the furniture out.

How do you remove animal urine smell from the interior of a wooden antique bookcase? It was stored for years in an outdoor barn.

By Bee from Conroe,TX

Answers

Obviously the pee has soaked into the wood, so you'll need to get the cleaner in to the wood to remove it. Buy "OUT!" brand enzyme based pet cleaner at Walmart or Target ($4.79) and spray this into the wood and let saturate. You'll need to keep the enzyme based cleaner wet for it to do its job (because when it dries the enzymes and good bacteria "die" and stop working). I would also saturate a sponge or cleaner with the "Out!" (or other enzyme-based pet cleaner) and keep the area wet for 2 days. Yes, the wood may warp, but it will remove the pee!

Also, read below. This is a copy of something posted last year on ThriftyFun. I have had quite a few people send me mail here to tell me how amazingly this has worked. One gal followed the directions below and used them to remove ferret urine that had soaked into the wood baseboard below a wall heater. It had been there for several years and she'd tried everything to remove the smell that came out each time she turned the heater on. She had lost all hope. She was so thrilled that something finally worked to remove the smell, that she became a ThriftyFun member just to send a note to thank me. So, give it a try! But, as you know, you'll need to get the cleaner IN TO the wood by letting the "OUT!" soak in. (Hmmm, that sounds strange, let the OUT soak IN, lol.) Afterward, you'll most likely need to re-finish the wood. The post below was originally written to remove cat pee from carpeting, so you may need to re-think it a bit. Also, the enzymes in the cleaner worked best at room temperature. I don't know how well they'd work in a cold barn or garage in the winter. You should carefully run a heater. But don't let the "OUT!" get too hot either, or the enzymes die and stop working. You will want room temp.

A GREAT "RECIPE" FOR REMOVING PET PEE & PET ODOR:
Here's a great recipe for cleaning and permanently removing cat urine, other pet stains, and odors:

Start by first cleaning the area with a vinegar-water solution: Use 2-3 parts water mixed with 1 part vinegar. (It's easiest to put this mixture in a well marked spray bottle.) Clean and blot, with a white towel or white rag.

*** A side note: Never use ammonia to clean up cat or dog urine, because cats and dogs will be attracted right back to that same spot to go again. Since all urine is so strong in ammonia, this "fools" the pets' nose.

Next (and this is the most important step): Buy "OUT!" brand pet odor neutralizer at Walmart. It works by "eating" organic stains and odors by using good bacteria and enzymes. It costs only $4.79. You can use any brand of pet odor and stain remover as long as it says "cleans with enzymes" on the bottle. The main trick is to keep the "OUT!" wet so the good bacteria and enzymes stay "alive" by covering the area with plastic wrap or an unused plastic garbage bag. Do not blow dry area, as this will kill the good bacteria that "eats" the stain and smell. "Out!" smells like yummy vanilla, which is nice.

The second day: Repeat the application of the "OUT!" product and re-cover with plastic.

The third day: Pour plain old drugstore hydrogen peroxide on the area and let it fizz and bubble up anything that's left. Do this and I can bet your pet urine smell will disappear. Be careful to pre-test the carpet in a discreet area before using the hydrogen peroxide, just to make sure the carpet won't fade.

I've used peroxide many, many times to clean spots on my carpet and upholstery and it's never hurt my carpet, upholstery or any clothes fabric. Peroxide works to remove any organic stain. (That means it will remove grape juice which is natural, but not grape Jell-O or grape Kool-aid which is artificial, anyway, you get the idea.) Peroxide will also remove blood, coffee, and hot chocolate. Peroxide is a totally amazing stain remover. It works by using oxygen to "fizz out" the stain. Simple, but effective. Do not use the stronger peroxide that women bleach their hair with. Use the cheap 59 cent peroxide that is sold in grocery and drug store's "first-aid" aisle.

Make sure to do the above steps in the exact order I suggested, because if you use the peroxide before the "OUT!" then the peroxide may kill the good bacteria and enzymes. Also, If you don't have the time, you can skip the vinegar step. But if you really want to make sure you get out all of the odor and stain, then follow all the above steps because they are all important. Any one of the steps posted above will work, but all together, they work even better.

What product can I use to eliminate urine smells, cat and dog, the ammonia smell, from wood furniture? It has not been urinated on, the smell from the area soaked into the wood. I am looking for a product to spray or wipe on to destroy this odor on the furniture wood and metal.

By John W. from Whitehall, MI

How do you remove urine stains from a couch? My dog submissively peed a little, but now when we sit down (after cleaning it and Febreezing it), you get a whiff of urine. How do I get rid of that without getting rid of the couch?

Joanna from Albany, NY

Answers:

Dog Urine Stains and Smell Off Furniture

Pet urine can be removed with outright pet odor eliminator. You can purchase it at Petco, Pet Smart, or Walmart pet dept. Follow the directions. More difficult odor might require a professional deep clean in furniture. May require that the furniture be saturated and extracted with a truck mount. There are many methods that pros use that might scare a home owner to try on their own. These various methods require specialist trained in the field so the furniture can be reused. Mattresses are a common urine source, both human and animal. Good luck. (04/03/2008)

By Atlanta luster kleen

Cleaning with vinegar or anything like that will only attract the animal back to the smell because it is citric, like their urine. Make a mixture of 1/4 cup tea tree oil and 1 cup water, spray area right away with the mixture and let sit as long as possible. Before site dries, use a chamois with books on it to add pressure to the area, that should help. If you can sprinkle baking soda to the area every day for about a week, and when you come home, use a brush to really dig it down in and let it sit again for an hour, then vacuum. This usually works. (12/07/2008)

By Joanne

The enzyme products work the best. I would be careful of the home made solutions - sometimes they cause more damage. I like the products from www.getthesmellout.com.

You can get the urine out of furniture cushions if you saturate the area. Give it some time to work. Re: the cushion with just water. Put the cushion into a plastic garbage bag and use a shop vac to suck the bag - like the vac storage bags on the infomercials. You will be able to extract most of the water out. (01/11/2009)

By Rob

I have been cleaning an 8x8 foot section of stinky pee from my bad little pomapoo for the last few days. I'd guess I went over it about 20 times with my steam cleaner and Bissel pet stain solution. The stains are gone, but the smell is enough to knock out a sumo wrestler. Amazing how a 5 pound dog can cause this amount of rank! I just tried Listerine mixed with white vinegar and can smell an instant improvement! I think there's a light at the end of this pee tunnel. Thanks! (01/20/2009)

By Robyn

(Submitted via email)

Thanks for all the help but I found that a simple solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and white vinegar will help get rid of the color. I'm going to try a little Borax later on to get rid of the odor of the doggie pee and the vinegar. You may use this on your website if you want, but all in all I would like it if you give me a little bit of credit, but you can still use it. =) Thanks again for all your help, and for your time (to read this message). It really helped me a lot. Oh yeah, my dog thanks you as well (for keeping him out of really big trouble). =) (02/16/2009)

By Sappie

How do I get cat pee smell out of my furniture?

By Sarah from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

My vet recommended Vodka, actually. Just mildly soak the stain and let it dry. It won't remove the stain just the smell. (08/27/2010)

By bertor22

We have a cat that seems to have a problem holding his bladder. He has urinated on our furniture in his sleep. How do we get rid of the smell? I have tried everything, the smell just keeps coming back.

Heather from NY

Answers:

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

That just happened to me. I took off the cushion covers and crossed my fingers and put them in the washing machine. Along with the soap, I added some ODO-BAN, (you can get it at Walmart or Sam's) and a lot of it! Maybe a cup and a half.

Then when the rinse cycle came up, I doubled the amount of the great smelling fabric softener. Dried them in the dryer, too on the easy cycle. Guess what? It worked. Do this at your own risk, as I did, but mine was old stuff and maybe I was lucky. All I know is I can't smell cat urine on them anymore.

Now, can anyone tell me how to get the smell out of the carpet. For good? I have 6 indoor cats. (10/23/2008)

By Nshvlbrat

RE: Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

How to get rid of cat urine odor on a cloth chair?

Wanda from St. Marys, GA

Answers:

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

Try Nature's Miracle from Petco/Petsmart - excellent at removing cat urine, especially from carpets, but try small test spot first to make sure it doesn't take color out of your chair. So sorry about your cat - hope there is nothing seriously wrong... (07/10/2007)

By thepartysuper

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

To order over the Internet or by telephone,
X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER
CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY
www.calvetsupply.com
1800-366-3047
It comes in 3 sizes

The best thing I have found for any urine is X.O. I have been using this for years and it will eliminate the odor on your furniture , it will not stain. I had a dog pee on my bed, I just saturated it and you can't even tell where the spot was.
(07/11/2007)

By BABBIE

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

I have been dealing with a cat that has on again off again bladder infections. I found a great product right on the shelf in WalMart. It is called Kids N Pets it is about $5 at my Wally World. It is fantastic. My dog also had diarrhea on my living room carpet (the only room with carpet) and this removed the smell and the stain.

I always have a bottle of it in the house.

Good Luck!! (07/16/2007)

By caraing

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

The only problem I see is that when you add enzymes to the stain what happens to the urine? You are not removing it you are basically are waiting for it to dry.

I would take a enzyme product mix it 4:1 pour on stained area and then extract with a extraction machine or shop vac and repeat until the urine is rinsed out or diluted enough to that I feel like it has been clean.

In situations that require a professional in So.CA we offer service to most ares please feel free to call toll free 877 386 3677 (01/14/2008)

By jody

How do I get dog urine smell out of couch? I have tried several products from febreeze to products from pet stores. Still no luck getting rid of the smell, what else can I do?

Our older cat (17) just recently started having "accidents" around the house. He has done this twice now on our brand new suede sofa.

I recently got a female puppy. After a few days I realized that my male dog was "marking" on everything the female was laying on, including my bed and living room furniture.