Dog With Smelly Ears

How can I clean my dog's stinky ears?

lorig41 from Tucson, AZ

Answers:

Dog With Smelly Ears

My golden Lab gets the same thing. She also has a brown goop in them when they get too bad. The vet gave me a bottle of Kenalog Oint to put in when this happens. It's not too expensive either. I put a couple of drops in, work it in and then clean with a tissue as best as I can then repeat if needed. (03/10/2009)

By DDJT

Dog With Smelly Ears

Zymox ointment is also a good product that works well. You put it in DRY dog's ears; not right after their shampoo. Do not use other products or ear cleansers before applying. Zymox will help to dry out the inner ear and as the dog shakes its head, the gunk flakes out on its own. Zymox has cortizone in it and there's also one without. A vet recommended it to me and I saw it was doing the job. Other products she'd sold didn't work as well. You can also buy Zymox on the internet w/o a prescription. Do not wipe out the ear after applying.

I've also used the inexpensive mixture of boric acid, isopropyl alcohol, and gentian violet treatment on my dog's ears regularly. It cleans the outer ears too and keeps them fresh while helping to prevent ear infections. This stuff will stain, so put dog on an old towel or mat before application. (03/10/2009)

By Lorelei

Dog With Smelly Ears

I bought a product at Wal-Mart. It is Q-tips with a solution on them. You can also find them at any pet store. In a pinch I even dipped a Q-tip in some vinegar water and swabbed my dog's ears. The vinegar will stop odors. I use a capful of vinegar to a capful of water.

~Janette~ (03/11/2009)

By ashleybunkin

Dog With Smelly Ears

I know the vet can be expensive, but dogs ears really shouldn't smell bad. Please have the vet rule out any life threatening infection before you try any homemade cure. And get the vet's OK on which ones you should try just to be safe. We all luv our pets, so let's keep them safe and healthy. (03/11/2009)

By katklaw777

Dog With Smelly Ears

Smelly ears usually mean ear mites or an infection. Go to the vet and pay $100 or search the internet for the vet by the name of Andrew Jones. He is great and has a wonderful newsletter. (03/11/2009)

By sassier299

Dog With Smelly Ears

I use Listerine [the mouthwash] on the latest 2 rescued Shih Tzus I adopted, Listerine cleared their ears in about 2-3 weeks of putting a few drops in each ear nightly. I also "gently" use a Q-tip to clean the part of the ears I can see. (03/11/2009)

By JoanDogs

RE: Dog With Smelly Ears

Dog With Smelly Ears

We have a Cocker spaniel; actually he's our 5th and they are prone to ear issues. We now swear by this stuff:

ridgewoodpoodles.com

There is also a ready-made variety of this you can purchase online, but I can't remember the brand name. Hope that helps! (04/28/2009)

By ImTrish

RE: Dog With Smelly Ears

Dog With Smelly Ears
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Steam Cleaning Smelly Carpet
Cleaning Smelly Carpet
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
🎄